7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2013 4:33 PM by Blymyer

main disc menus

Blymyer

Can I play an introduction before going to the main disc menu?

Brad

• 1. Re: main disc menus
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Brad,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, PrE does not allow for an Intro, prior to the Main Menu.

One can, however, used other, full-featured authoring programs, like Sony's DVD Architect, to do just that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: main disc menus
            Blymyer Level 1

Thanks for your reply, you reallly saved me a lot of time trying! I have

one other question regarding my Pre El project settings.  Like what project

settings should I use when the presentation contains std def movies and HD

videos and photos.  I have been using full HD settings and buring HD DVD's.

Brad

• 3. Re: main disc menus
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Brad,

Exactly what do you mean by this comment?

I have been using full HD settings and buring HD DVD's.

Are you burning, perhaps AVCHD to a DVD blank disc, in a BD burner, for playback via a BD player, or do you mean something else?

A DVD-Video is SD (Standard Def), by its specification, however some people do a hybrid version, just using a black DVD w/ greatly shortened Duration.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more,

Hunt

• 4. Re: main disc menus
                Blymyer Level 1

Thanks for your questions.  I set the project settings to full HD.  The

project contains a st def mov file as well as HD videos and photos.  I

burned a standard DVD, and a AVCHD DVD (which brings out the HD files

better.  My main question is there a problem with a project setting of full

HD with a mix of HD and std def media?

• 5. Re: main disc menus
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If one were going with DVD-Video, which will be SD (Standard Def), and the Timeline contains a mix of SD and HD material, then the HD material will need to be down-rezzed to SD resolution, at some point. This might not be ideal, but the results are usually pretty good.

However, if one is going to an HD disc, whether AVCHD, or BD, and the Timeline contains that same mix of material, the SD material will need to be Scaled UP to the HD Frame Size. This is usually not an ideal situation, as quality WILL suffer.

Some users have found that Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD does an acceptable job of that up-rezzing. There are other similar options too, but programs' names are eluding me right now. I would suggest doing some tests with a trial, before you purchase.

It was the up-rezzing of SD material, or the down-rezzing of the HD material, that prompted me to ask what your final output was.

If you are going to output to HD, then your only option will be to start a New Project, matching your HD material, then just expect a quality drop, when the SD material is up-rezzed.

Either way, I would Scale the Stil Images to match the chosen Project's Frame Size.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: main disc menus
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Blymyer

First, about your intro page before menu in Premiere Elements....

Is that for a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD format on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

I have written very detailed and easy instructions on how to achieve this goal for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc using Premiere Elements in conjunction with a free 3rd party software named PgcEdit.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74528

Instructions start with post 5 of that thread.

I am in the process of updating the DVD information. I had hoped to include some ways to do this for AVCHD DVD and Blu-ray Disc Format on Blu-ray Disc, but that will take more time as my first thoughts on the latter are not falling into place. At least the First Play DVD-VIDEO on DVD update  will be posted in my blog within the next 24 hours.

As for your question about a mixed Timeline, keep in mind that a Premiere Elements project has but one project preset which should match the properties of your source media. When you have mixed formats, then special considerations enter if you do not want black borders or distortions and other issues.

The project preset directs the program to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing. That space is based on the specifications of the project preset. For those media that do not fit the specifications of the project preset, there is always the opportunity to scale them in the Edit Mode Monitor. Are all your video 16:9 whether HD or SD or is your SD 4:3 instead of SD 16:9? There are still other consideration related to progressive and interlaced video.

Looking forward to your reply especially with regard to your intent for the intro page before the menu.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: main disc menus
                      Blymyer Level 1

I have not performed any up or down scaling yet, and will explore those

options further.

Thanks so much for your feedbsck and solutions!!!!

Brad