5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2013 7:26 AM by Scillonian RSS

Windows error being logged during LR5 shutdown/backup

Mollysnoot Community Member

Ever since I switched to LR5, I've been getting a Windows error being logged at random when I shut down and optimise/backup the catalogue. This isn't happening everytime, but it is happening quite reguarly - maybe 50% of the time. I don't notice anything untoward, and the backup all seems to be working as expected, but right before LR closes (in the last few seconds of the backup and optimisation process), Windows records that LR "stopped working" and gives me a 1000 Event ID error (seems to be a pretty generic code for any application failure). Event Viewer is implicating gdiplus.dll as being the cause of the error. Didn't ever get this in LR4.

As I say, it doesn't actually seem to be causing any problem as such: LR is working fine and I wouldn't even know about this if I didn't keep an eye on things in Event Viewer/Reliability Monitor in Windows 7, so it's not a major issue. It is however annoying, and I hate to leave error messages like this unresolved. I've tried re-setting preferences, rebuilding all previews, clearing raw cache - no change. I'm wondering if the .dll file mentioned above might be corrupt - or if it's a bug.

Has anyone else had this issue? Maybe fellow Win7 LR users could check in their Reliability Monitor to see if it's been recording any errors (just type in "relia" into the Windows search box and you'll find it for those who don't know about this feature).

M

• 1. Re: Windows error being logged during LR5 shutdown/backup

Nobody else experiencing this issue? I must be really unlucky!

Since posting the above, I decided to try a complete uninstall of both LR 4.4 (was meaning to remove this anyway) and LR 5. Did this yesterday and managed to shutdown/backup/optimise the catalogue without issue. Today, I shut it down and Windows logged an error code, right at the moment before it completed the backup process (the final stage being optimisation).

Really puzzled by this. No such error codes were getting logged until I upgraded to LR5.

M

• 2. Re: Windows error being logged during LR5 shutdown/backup
            janh1948 Community Member

You are not the only one. The "stopped working" message I have sometimes when quiting LR5. This message also appeared sometimes when opening earlier versions of LR4. It does not bother me anymore. It could be a lightroom but also a windows problem. I hope it will be fixed somewhere in the future .

Found this in the application logs: (20130702)

Faulting application name: lightroom.exe, version: 5.0.0.10, time stamp: 0x51a64dae

Faulting module name: gdiplus.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17825, time stamp: 0x4f9242bf

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000003c579

Faulting process id: 0xf94

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce775990789dfe

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5\lightroom.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.7601.17825_none_2b 253c8271ec7765\gdiplus.dll

Report Id: 807ccbf6-e34f-11e2-b38b-bcaec59296ab

win7/64b/16GB

• 3. Re: Windows error being logged during LR5 shutdown/backup

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone with this!   The log you've included in your post is exactly what I've been seeing.

So far as I can establish, the gdiplus.dll is related to graphics rendering/user interfaces. If there were any actual rendering issues whilst using LR then I'm quite sure I'd notice, and would also expect errors to occur/be logged whilst using LR, not when closing it down. It doesn't seem to actually be affecting any of the backup or optimising processes... Odd.

M

• 4. Re: Windows error being logged during LR5 shutdown/backup
                rdyarch Community Member

Same problem here; you are not alone.

...Rich

• 5. Re: Windows error being logged during LR5 shutdown/backup
                  Scillonian

Lightroom 5 cashed for me today during the same procedure on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit so the problem is not limited to Windows 7.