4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 3:12 PM by SKELL

AE CC not overriding start frame preference with Timecode..

stevebfx

Hi all,

Just trying out After Effects CC and loaded an Animation Quicktime. I've set my project preference to FRAMES and START AT FRAME 1, but it refuses to acknowledge and insists on starting on frame 184716, which I presume it's taking from whatever timecode was possibly embedded in the quicktime.

I do not want this behaviour.. I need frame ONE to be FRAME ONE, I'm importing tracking data that has these frame numbers encoded.

I'll have to revert back to CS6 until this can be resolved.

Thanks,

Steven Blasini

• 1. Re: AE CC not overriding start frame preference with Timecode..
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not seeing this at all on my Mac. Import a quicktime that starts on frame 2949696. Select the quicktime and then right click and select create composition from selection. Then select comp settings (Ctrl/Cmnd + K) and change the start frame to 1. All is well with the world.

frameRates.jpg

The alternative is to select the footage in then Project Panel, right click or go to File>Interpret Footage and select override timecode and select 1, then drag the footage into a new comp window. The comp displays the first frame as frame 1.

What steps are you following? What is your OS? Is AE up  to date?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AE CC not overriding start frame preference with Timecode..
            stevebfx Level 1

Thank you kindly, Rick.

That worked. But in all my many years of working with AE (on PC's since 1996), I've never set the start frame from the composition... always had it set in PROJECT PREFERENCES. Even in AE CS6 this still works the way it used to... with Project Preferences set to FRAMES and start frame 1, anything I loaded up was always starting on Frame 1.

Now with CC, they've added this new requirement... but, at least you got me on the right path.

Thanks for such a quick response! Highly appreciated! (I went back to CS6 for this particular shot and it's done, but now I'll resume the brave new world of CC and see what else they've changed on us.)

Was already disappointed to find out that I could not import all my OUTPUT MODULES from CS6 into CC... and that most of the modules have been moved over to Media Encoder... change change change change.... hopefully for the better...

PS: We're running Windows 8 and the latest CC as downloaded via Cloud subscription.

Steven

• 3. Re: AE CC not overriding start frame preference with Timecode..
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The project panel will still work for setting the starting frame for new comps. Reading the timecode from imported clips is a new feature.

For anything with MPEG compression including h.264 AME will do a much better job and you'll be able to continue working in AE or in any other app while the render is going on. It's way more productive.

• 4. Re: AE CC not overriding start frame preference with Timecode..
                SKELL

Ahhhh...found it in project setting!!!

Never, ever, ever, ever used frame zero, ever!!!