Error "could not be read" when importing in LR5

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import problem

Lightroom 5

Mac OS X 10.8.4

Try to import CR2 files from CF card - files show in import screen but then will not import

"Import Results

Some import operations were not performed.

The following files were not imported because they could not be read (1):......."

Then lists ALL files on CF card

I tried copying CR2 files to a temporary folder on my desktop but get exactly the same message. Also tried importing iPhone images and get exactly the same message.

This all worked for the first week LR5 was installed and has just started happening after a week

Have no problems at all in Lightroom 4.4

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Thanks for the file. I was able to import it without issue. This means that the file is not the source of the issue, but neither is Lightroom itself. There is something going on on your side that is preventing things from working.

Generally, when things work at first and then suddenly stop working, the problem is with the preference files. These tell Lightroom how to behave and if something goes wrong with them, it tells the program to behave in a way that causes errors.

We'll want to recreate t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at this thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1231573?tstart=0

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came from that thread.

My problem is not based on erroneous XMP files.

I have deleted the one XMP file I had, which was actually associated with Elements, and it has made no difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue. Completely unable to import photos of any kind into LR5 from any source. I have been having to import all of my photos into LR4 and then open LR5 to "Copy from another Library", but I think that is a ridiculous step to have to take.

My workflow is that I copy all photos from my memory card directly to a RAID I have and then I import that folder, in place, into LR. Every time I try to do this, the import window is completely blank. The same workflow I have been using since LR version 1 no longer seems to apply in LR5. I have even tried importing the photos to that same folder directly from the memory card through LR5, but it hasn't worked.

This really seems like a gigantic BUG that Adobe, somehow, overlooked in their zeal to get LR5 out the door and into consumer's hands. I have tried importing RAW (NEF) files, JPEGS, copying to DNG and nothing seems to work.

There are tons of features in LR5 that I am using (after the workaround I have laid out) and it is frustrating that I simply can't move forward. I realize that it is a new release, but this seems very basic to me. You should AT THE LEAST be able to import the photos that you are wanting to work on. I just don't know how this release made it.

Thank you for opening this thread. I also have no XMP files in any of my folders. Not quite sure why that is working for other folks. I have also tried to import directly from my iPhone and iPad with no significant results.

I am wondering if it may have something to do with the Camera Raw filter that came with LR5? I should try telling LR5 to "Open Photos in Camera RAW 6.0 and later" and see if that helps at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using "Camera RAW 6.0 and later", and also worked backwards through the rest to no avail.

Images are showing in the import window but the same fault diaglogue as above is shown except it reads:

The following images were not imported because they could not be read (4)

Changing the (1) to (4)

(And still no XMP files anywhere)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary, could you send me one of your files so I can test on my side. The error is that the file cannot be read, which may be a truthful statement as far as Lightroom is concerned, that it cannot read the contents of the the file for some reason. Your issue is quite different from that in the other post as you can see the images in the import window. Those with the XMP issue cannot even get as far as you, no error message because LR isn't even seeing their files in the first place.

Bonaccjj, your issue is different from Gary's as he can see his images in the import window. Your issue sounds more like the post linked here. You should check out the responses there and post if none of the information helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll happily send an image to you - how do I do this? they are CR2 files so pretty big (typically 25 mb)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have dropbox or some other similar sharing method? If no, I can setup and FTP folder for you to upload to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typical image file (hope you're a cricket fan)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52204261/HOC_0143.CR2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the file. I was able to import it without issue. This means that the file is not the source of the issue, but neither is Lightroom itself. There is something going on on your side that is preventing things from working.

Generally, when things work at first and then suddenly stop working, the problem is with the preference files. These tell Lightroom how to behave and if something goes wrong with them, it tells the program to behave in a way that causes errors.

We'll want to recreate the preference file. Simply delete, rename, or move the file while Lightroom is closed and then reopen. On launch, Lightroom attempts to read this file for instructions, if it not there a new one is created with all default settings.

Here is where the file is stored:

Preference and other file locations in Lightroom 5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, that has solved the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2013 Jul 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Had exactly the same problem - preceded by LR5 constantly quitting.

Removal of the old preferences and a restart of LR seems to have done the trick

Thanks

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2013 Oct 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I got Lightroom 5 just 3 days ago and can't import crap 😕 I'm getting the same messages as you and I found the preference folder (C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\.). Which old preferences have to be deleted in order to get this going? I shot a wedding in RAW on CF card, and I'm using Windows 8. I see that you were able to resolve the problem, can you please tell me how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link above gives the exact name of the preference file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, forgive me, but my brain is fried. I checked the llink and I'm stuck. Is that the file: Lightroom 5 Preferences.agprefs ? Please help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just installed LR5 and updated to LR5.3   No matter what I try even though LR can see the photos to import and show previews it will not import from USB key, SD card, External HDD, downloaded jpg saved on desktop, any photo saved to desktop.   I deleted the preference file you have suggested but still no luck.   Have tried jpg, Canon raw files.   What else can I do?   I am using a brand new Imac with 1TB fusion drive & 8 MB ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2014 Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jetrascal, what happens when you try to import? Is there an error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brett, I got the same problem on my LR CC 2015 (LR 6). When I updated to this version, I could never import any photo or video. The reason is that image can not be read. I located and deleted the preference file. But the problem is still there. I cannot import any photos. I paid the fee monthly for LR software. Hope you can help me with it. The file I was trying to import was Nikon D800E NEF.

Thank you.

-Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not be read means that the destination that the photos are being copied to isn’t right, either because it’s not where you’re intended, or that LR cannot write files there, so check the destination at the right of the Import panel and if necessary change the permissions of that destination to read and write using the process for your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer but it didn't solve my problem. I never changed the permission setting. And this only happened to LR6 for me. I tried change to different destination but the error was still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the destination and what are the permissions on that destination?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brett,

I am now receiving this same error message about not being able to read the files when I try to import photos into lightroom from my memory card reader, even though I can see the photos in the import pane.  I have Lightroom version 5.7.  I am able to import the camera raw photos into my Photos Library on my macbook pro (which, by the way, I recently updated to OS El Capitan).  I've then exported the photos from the Mac Photos library to the desktop and tried importing into lightroom from the desktop file but get the same error message.  I've also tried importing into lightroom from the camera as opposed to the memory card reader, but get the same error message so it's not the device from which I'm importing that is the issue.

I've unsuccessfully tried to locate my preferences file, despite following the instructions for where to locate that file  I can send you a screenshot of my folders and you'll see my library folder is not where it's suggested it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't import the files after having moved them to your computer, then either there is something wrong with the files themselves or you have moved them to a location that Lightroom does not have proper access to read.

There is more than one Library folder on your computer. The system Library, the one you are likely talking about, is not the one we are interested in. We want the user Library, which is hidden by default (a recent change Apple made to the Mac OS). This information and instructions on how to reveal the folder are included in the documentation provided previously.

Could you supply a sample file so that we can verify whether or not the file itself is an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok - the fie is very large so let me know if you want to do it via dropbox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox will be fine, you can just post a link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines