9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2013 2:29 PM by Edward Scissors

Moving from Motion to AE - Effects and Presets key framing

Edward Scissors Level 1

Hi

Apologies for a 'new user' AE question.

I've looked long and hard for tutorials or discussions which cover something that I sorely miss in Apple Motion and that is how to work with Effects and Presets effectively. In Motion you could add successive Behaviour presets - Motions equivalent of Effects&Presets -  to a single clip and  alter their duration, and therefore speed and timing, by manipulating a dragable box in the timeline. As far as I can tell there is no equivalent in After Effects...when I add a preset to a clip is dissloves into a myriad of different Animators etc. With certain effects I can see where the preset begins and end but with things like 'Light and Opticals' I just cant seem to work out how to end/alter most of the animator to achieve basic things like simply stopping the effect.

The options that I have seen discussed are

- splitting a single clip as many times as you need to apply different presets

- applying presets and then manually going through and, by trial and error, zeroing keyframes in order to achieve the desired result.

Is there anything else as both of these seem a bit unsatisfactory.

Thanks

ed

• 1. Re: Moving from Motion to AE - Effects and Presets key framing
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That's just how it works. Some effects require keyframes on the animators themselves, some on the effects controls that the effects apply to the layer.... Anyway, you better learn your way around text animators, shape layers and all that natively. Many times this stuff can easily be combined by using just 3 "smart" animators with proper overlap behaviors set rather than stacking bazillions of animators that know nothing about one another. You simply have to change your approach and workflow and craft your own sets of presets that fit your scnearios and have provison for plugging them together as you want them.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Moving from Motion to AE - Effects and Presets key framing
            Edward Scissors Level 1

That sounds complicated.

Essentially I'm an editor looking to create quick compositions for my edit. Motion served me very well in this respect. I'm sure it's just a practice thing but I can see that after effects is its own thing and requires lots of twirling and key framing. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Moving from Motion to AE - Effects and Presets key framing
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It  just takes a little practice. Motion is very good at what it does but you can quickly hit the limit of what's easy and quick. It's the same with AE except that with AE you can just keep on going and going.

If you want to see how something like a text preset works just apply it then press the U key twice to reveal the animators and keyframes. Then start dragging things around and see what happens to the animation. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Moving from Motion to AE - Effects and Presets key framing
                Edward Scissors Level 1

Ok. Well its going to be a bit of a learning curve with huge numbers key frames dotted along it. thanks for your advice guys

• 5. Re: Moving from Motion to AE - Effects and Presets key framing
                  Edward Scissors Level 1

Ok so Ive started doing some AE stuff in a premiere pro edit on a relatively straight forward client job and I am finding AE maddening. It just seems incredibbly nerdy with huge amounts of info and text cluttering the timeline.

At the moment I cant even get the presets to work in any way that reflects my intentions. I'm considering rendering out all the elements and trying to redo the comp in Motion but before I go there is there a recommended place for video tutorials, particualrly  regarding presets.

Thanks in advance for your help

• 6. Re: Moving from Motion to AE - Effects and Presets key framing
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The text preset stuff is barren wasteland, unfortunately. It's funny that people always swarm to the posh bling-bling stuff like doing tons of tutorials for Particular, Element 3D or Cineware, but nobody has really covered the depths of text animators or shape layers... Anyway, just keep playing with this. Eventually everything will fall into place and once you had that magic moment where things click, it will be a lot easier.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Moving from Motion to AE - Effects and Presets key framing
                      Edward Scissors Level 1

Ok. Ive got a specific one. The Zoom - 3d tumble preset. I'm trying to get some images to resolve into place by tumbling down the Z-Axis. Stright forward you would think, and the preset works wonderfully when the images come from the horizon line, but as soon as I try and edit the preset so that the images come from behind the camera I am in a world of pain with the 'Expressions' unravelling and no long working as part of the preset.

I've looked at video co-pilot but its pretty heavy stuff. Is there any other place for Presets. Creative Cow were good on text and actually I find text Ok...you can do more than Motion....but the Presets are ruinous things as soon as you want to customise them.

thanks

• 8. Re: Moving from Motion to AE - Effects and Presets key framing
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Zoom - 3D Tumble preset does not use AE's camera, it fakes it using Basic 3D which only has rotation properties and fakes the move using scale. You can not make the image come from behind the camera using this preset because there is no camera.

Once you understand how an effect is set up it's an easy process to modify the movements. Pressing the u key twice will show you everything in the timeline that has been changed or animated and reveal the keyframes and expressions. Once there you can easily click and drag on any property of change the timing of the keyframes to customize the effects.

• 9. Re: Moving from Motion to AE - Effects and Presets key framing
                          Edward Scissors Level 1

Thanks ,that's a good bit of info.

I think this transition is going to take a while!