Does the last frame show overset?
And the number of pages in the word file has little to do withthe number of pages in ID, though that much difference does seem like something is missing.
And what version of ID, and which OS?
@Andy – if there is overset, just show us the overset text in the story editor ( cmd or strg + y ) with "Show Hidden Characters". Just select a few characters in the overset and let us see the panels for Characters, Paragraphs, Character Styles and Paragraph Styles like the following screen shot:
(in case you wonder, I'm on OSX 10.6.8 German)
It could be anything from:
1. Text formatting
2. Placed images in MS Word file
3. Special Characters
I apologize Peter, I should know the hardware specs drill by now: Win7, ID CS5.5, Word 03.
Laubender, I'm getting ready right now to test out what you've suggested, I'll post whether or not it works, thanks.
... Oh and I did read on another board that ID doesn't seem to play nice with .docx, which is what I'm trying to place, so I converted to .doc, but still no luck.
OK, the overset is a table, and I bet the first row has a cell height greater than the page height. ID can't break a row, only between rows.
Try picking up the overset and drag out a really tall frame on the pasteboard as you click the loaded cursor to see if you can get the table to flow into it, then you can do some editing more easily.
Voila! On a whim, I converted my .doc to .rtf, and now all 114 pages (although each one's alignment is way off) imported! What's up with that? Oh well, who cares I guess as long as all the content is intact. I'd still like to know about the .doc issue though, if anyone has some insight. Thanks.
Whoah Peter, this is some weird stuff.. did what you said about dragging out the tall frame, and a ginormous image eventually appears within the frame that looks to be contained within the header of the doc's table. ?? Then some copy and other items start to appear below, the taller I drag the frame.
Well, what I thought was a "Voila" was only partially that. The .rtf doc placed all the pages, but many of the fonts changed too.
OK, so you need to reduce the size of the image (did it come through in the RTF?) so the row height is smaller. That should work up to the next row that is too tall.
It might actually make sense to edit this in Word to fix any table rows that look like they're going to be an issue.
I'd convert the tables to text in Word first - they're going to have be redone in InDeisgn anway - might as well start from scratch on them - I usually do.
Yes the image came through as expected in the .rtf, but the "fake" or faux italic and bold fonts from the word doc comes in as ya know, the little squares, which is frustrating in it's own right, because I didn't mention I'm dealing with Mandarin characters, and it's quite difficult to find which is supposed to be bold and/or italic. So, the system I'm currently using is working with the imported .rtf, and trying my best to setup ID styles to reformat all the faux-styled characters. I suppose I could always shell out $200 for a .doc to .indd converter
Eugene, that seems ok to convert the tables first, but in Word that makes the header images jump to another page, and since there's multiple tables in my doc like that, it seems more trouble than it's worth, especially since the .rtf is at least placeing those tables accurately.
I have run into yet another issue though... Since those tables were interpreted as linked stories, when I go to work with them, they cause all sorts of issues like adding pages to my doc, and refusing to delete. So I finally figured out I can use the sample script SplitStory to take care of that stuff.
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Yes the image came through as expected in the .rtf, but the "fake" or faux italic and bold fonts from the word doc comes in as ya know, the little squares, which is frustrating in it's own right, because I didn't mention I'm dealing with Mandarin characters, and it's quite difficult to find which is supposed to be bold and/or italic.
Have you turned on a Chinese keyboard in Windows? If you have, then when you whack control+d in Word, the font dropdown will have a separate entry for "Asian text font." This would let you make Word styles that would preserve bold when they come into InDesign.
There's pretty much no way to preserve italics, though. Since Chinese fonts generally don't have italic or oblique sets, Word fakes italics by skewing the glyphs. From a typographical standpoint, it looks far worse than the same fake-oblique you'd get by adding a twelve-degree skew to Minion Pro in InDesign. You may want to look into a different method of adding emphasis. (Or you may just want to fake the oblique with a skew in InDesign because it's what your client provided to you. I like to go to bat with my clients in defense of good typography, but that's not your responsibility, to help preserve the world's oldest & richest calligraphic tradition.)