10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2007 2:08 PM by Newsgroup_User

Font Sharpness & Clarity

briz26
      Hi,

I am new to fireworks, when creating images with fonts, the fonts do not appear as sharp as I would like them too. For example, the fonts are not as crisp and sharp on the edges as like MS Word. I have played around with all the basic settings, (crisp anti-alias, made the resolution 300 dpi,) using verdana size 10 black.

Is there any trick or setting I have wrong to get clear and crisp fonts that are small??

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Font Sharpness & Clarity
          Level 7
          Try doing a search for Pixel Fonts.

These fonts are designed to be used at a specific size and usually without
          any anti alias and to look good at (very) small sizes.

An example of some can be seen here (but there are loads more)...

http://minifonts.com/bundles.html

Peter

"briz26" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fedrn2$eea$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          | Hi,
          |
          | I am new to fireworks, when creating images with fonts, the fonts do not
          | appear as sharp as I would like them too. For example, the fonts are not
          as
          | crisp and sharp on the edges as like MS Word. I have played around with
          all
          | the basic settings, (crisp anti-alias, made the resolution 300 dpi,) using
          | verdana size 10 black.
          |
          | Is there any trick or setting I have wrong to get clear and crisp fonts
          that
          | are small??
          |
          | Thanks.
          |

• 2. Re: Font Sharpness &amp; Clarity
            Level 7
            briz26 wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I am new to fireworks, when creating images with fonts, the fonts do not
            > appear as sharp as I would like them too. For example, the fonts are not as
            > crisp and sharp on the edges as like MS Word. I have played around with all
            > the basic settings, (crisp anti-alias, made the resolution 300 dpi,) using
            > verdana size 10 black.
            >
            > Is there any trick or setting I have wrong to get clear and crisp fonts that
            > are small??
            >
            > Thanks.
            >

briz26,
            There are a couple thing you can do with smaller fonts.

You can use Linda R's trick, clone a copy of the text and leave it
            directly over the original.

You can use 'Pixel Fonts' which are designed to look better at smaller
            sizes.

SKB
            • 3. Re: Font Sharpness &amp; Clarity
              Level 7
              > You can use 'Pixel Fonts' which are designed to look better at smaller
              > sizes.

Or...just turn of anti-aliasing. Many of the web-friendly fonts have
              screen-optimized bitmap versions. For instance, Verdana and Georgia.

-Darrel

• 4. Re: Font Sharpness &amp; Clarity
                Level 7
                briz26 wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > I am new to fireworks, when creating images with fonts, the fonts do not
                > appear as sharp as I would like them too. For example, the fonts are not as
                > crisp and sharp on the edges as like MS Word. I have played around with all
                > the basic settings, (crisp anti-alias, made the resolution 300 dpi,) using
                > verdana size 10 black.

At size 10 you need to turn antialiasing off.

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                • 5. Re: Font Sharpness &amp; Clarity
                  briz26 Level 1
                  thanks all, these suggestions helped a lot.
                  • 6. Re: Font Sharpness &amp; Clarity
                    Level 7
                    Is there any good reason for the additional complexity of making fonts
                    look good?

Linda Rathgeber wrote:
                    > briz26 wrote:
                    >> Hi,
                    >>
                    >> I am new to fireworks, when creating images with fonts, the fonts do
                    >> not appear as sharp as I would like them too. For example, the fonts
                    >> are not as crisp and sharp on the edges as like MS Word. I have
                    >> played around with all the basic settings, (crisp anti-alias, made the
                    >> resolution 300 dpi,) using verdana size 10 black.
                    >
                    > At size 10 you need to turn antialiasing off.
                    >
                    • 7. Re: Font Sharpness &amp; Clarity
                      Level 7
                      deebs wrote:
                      > Is there any good reason for the additional complexity of making fonts
                      > look good?
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > Linda Rathgeber wrote:
                      >> briz26 wrote:
                      >>> Hi,
                      >>>
                      >>> I am new to fireworks, when creating images with fonts, the fonts do
                      >>> not appear as sharp as I would like them too. For example, the fonts
                      >>> are not as crisp and sharp on the edges as like MS Word. I have
                      >>> played around with all the basic settings, (crisp anti-alias, made
                      >>> the resolution 300 dpi,) using verdana size 10 black.
                      >>
                      >> At size 10 you need to turn antialiasing off.
                      >>

Fireworks expects everything to end up as a bitmap, even if in the long
                      run, it doesn't.

Unlike MS Word, FW by default anti-aliases the text so that it blends
                      with the background. Why? Because (again by default) FW is showing you
                      what the "bitmapped" text will look like when it is exported as a
                      graphic. The good thing is you have control over it through changing the
                      alias properties.

Example:

Type a line of text into FW and ZOOM in to make it fill the screen. You
                      will see how the pixels representing the font blend in with the background.

Do the same in MS Word. Zoom in to 300% or more. Text still looks fine
                      because (a) it's being treated as a vector and (b) there is no
                      anti-aliasing on text in a word processor.

Go back to FW and change the font size to 40 or 80 pixels. At the same
                      magnification, the text will look better and at 100% it will probably
                      look great.

--
                      Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                      Extending Knowledge, Daily
                      http://www.communityMX.com/
                      CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                      http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                      ---
                      .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                      news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                      news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                      • 8. Re: Font Sharpness &amp; Clarity
                        Level 7
                        Thanks for the explanation Jim - it does deepen one's insight.

My naive approach is: why design multiple times for multiple media?

Is it better to design once and then export out at the required settings?

It may be a concept shift and I can understand why targeting to 100% of
                        what the end user will experience is a good premise.

Convergence, in many ways, may challenge a premise that suggests one
                        application to design for print, another for web, another for small
                        screen, another for ...

Good as these were in the past, are they good enough, I wonder, for the
                        21st Century?

Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
                        > deebs wrote:
                        >> Is there any good reason for the additional complexity of making fonts
                        >> look good?
                        >>
                        >>
                        >>
                        >> Linda Rathgeber wrote:
                        >>> briz26 wrote:
                        >>>> Hi,
                        >>>>
                        >>>> I am new to fireworks, when creating images with fonts, the fonts
                        >>>> do not appear as sharp as I would like them too. For example, the
                        >>>> fonts are not as crisp and sharp on the edges as like MS Word. I
                        >>>> have played around with all the basic settings, (crisp anti-alias,
                        >>>> made the resolution 300 dpi,) using verdana size 10 black.
                        >>>
                        >>> At size 10 you need to turn antialiasing off.
                        >>>
                        >
                        > Fireworks expects everything to end up as a bitmap, even if in the long
                        > run, it doesn't.
                        >
                        > Unlike MS Word, FW by default anti-aliases the text so that it blends
                        > with the background. Why? Because (again by default) FW is showing you
                        > what the "bitmapped" text will look like when it is exported as a
                        > graphic. The good thing is you have control over it through changing the
                        > alias properties.
                        >
                        >
                        > Example:
                        >
                        > Type a line of text into FW and ZOOM in to make it fill the screen. You
                        > will see how the pixels representing the font blend in with the background.
                        >
                        > Do the same in MS Word. Zoom in to 300% or more. Text still looks fine
                        > because (a) it's being treated as a vector and (b) there is no
                        > anti-aliasing on text in a word processor.
                        >
                        > Go back to FW and change the font size to 40 or 80 pixels. At the same
                        > magnification, the text will look better and at 100% it will probably
                        > look great.
                        >
                        >
                        • 9. Re: Font Sharpness &amp; Clarity
                          Level 7
                          The phrase, jack of all trades . . ., comes to mind <grin>.

You can indeed create high res results in FW, if you set up the original
                          document at the proper resolution - AT the beginning. But FW is not
                          optimized to work efficiently in this manner.

FW is a screen-based graphics app. It loads relatively quickly and
                          handles screen graphics in a fairly speedy manner. If it gets turned
                          into a print app, then really, why bother, as both Photoshop and
                          Illustrator (and InDesign) are geared for the print world. You'd end up
                          with an app that is bloated and over featured, trying to appease
                          multiple users at the same time, and satisfying few of them in the process.

I prefer a quick loading app for web graphics design, which is where FW
                          fits into my workflow. If I'm doing print work, I'm in Photoshop. And if
                          I decide that work needs to go to the web, I can always open the file in
                          FW and do what needs to be done for web/screen, relying on FW's more
                          efficient compression options.

Integration between the apps will no doubt continue, making the process
                          more flexible - and reliable - as new versions come out.

HTH!

deebs wrote:
                          > Thanks for the explanation Jim - it does deepen one's insight.
                          >
                          > My naive approach is: why design multiple times for multiple media?
                          >
                          > Is it better to design once and then export out at the required settings?
                          >
                          > It may be a concept shift and I can understand why targeting to 100% of
                          > what the end user will experience is a good premise.
                          >
                          > Convergence, in many ways, may challenge a premise that suggests one
                          > application to design for print, another for web, another for small
                          > screen, another for ...
                          >
                          > Good as these were in the past, are they good enough, I wonder, for the
                          > 21st Century?
                          >
                          >
                          > Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
                          >> deebs wrote:
                          >>> Is there any good reason for the additional complexity of making
                          >>> fonts look good?
                          >>>
                          >>>
                          >>>
                          >>> Linda Rathgeber wrote:
                          >>>> briz26 wrote:
                          >>>>> Hi,
                          >>>>>
                          >>>>> I am new to fireworks, when creating images with fonts, the fonts
                          >>>>> do not appear as sharp as I would like them too. For example, the
                          >>>>> fonts are not as crisp and sharp on the edges as like MS Word. I
                          >>>>> have played around with all the basic settings, (crisp anti-alias,
                          >>>>> made the resolution 300 dpi,) using verdana size 10 black.
                          >>>>
                          >>>> At size 10 you need to turn antialiasing off.
                          >>>>
                          >>
                          >> Fireworks expects everything to end up as a bitmap, even if in the
                          >> long run, it doesn't.
                          >>
                          >> Unlike MS Word, FW by default anti-aliases the text so that it blends
                          >> with the background. Why? Because (again by default) FW is showing you
                          >> what the "bitmapped" text will look like when it is exported as a
                          >> graphic. The good thing is you have control over it through changing
                          >> the alias properties.
                          >>
                          >>
                          >> Example:
                          >>
                          >> Type a line of text into FW and ZOOM in to make it fill the screen.
                          >> You will see how the pixels representing the font blend in with the
                          >> background.
                          >>
                          >> Do the same in MS Word. Zoom in to 300% or more. Text still looks fine
                          >> because (a) it's being treated as a vector and (b) there is no
                          >> anti-aliasing on text in a word processor.
                          >>
                          >> Go back to FW and change the font size to 40 or 80 pixels. At the same
                          >> magnification, the text will look better and at 100% it will probably
                          >> look great.
                          >>
                          >>

--
                          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                          Extending Knowledge, Daily
                          http://www.communityMX.com/
                          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                          ---
                          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                          • 10. Re: Font Sharpness &amp; Clarity
                            Level 7
                            Of course it does Jim.

Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
                            > The phrase, jack of all trades . . ., comes to mind <grin>.
                            >
                            > You can indeed create high res results in FW, if you set up the original
                            > document at the proper resolution - AT the beginning. But FW is not
                            > optimized to work efficiently in this manner.
                            >
                            > FW is a screen-based graphics app. It loads relatively quickly and
                            > handles screen graphics in a fairly speedy manner. If it gets turned
                            > into a print app, then really, why bother, as both Photoshop and
                            > Illustrator (and InDesign) are geared for the print world. You'd end up
                            > with an app that is bloated and over featured, trying to appease
                            > multiple users at the same time, and satisfying few of them in the process.
                            >
                            > I prefer a quick loading app for web graphics design, which is where FW
                            > fits into my workflow. If I'm doing print work, I'm in Photoshop. And if
                            > I decide that work needs to go to the web, I can always open the file in
                            > FW and do what needs to be done for web/screen, relying on FW's more
                            > efficient compression options.
                            >
                            > Integration between the apps will no doubt continue, making the process
                            > more flexible - and reliable - as new versions come out.
                            >
                            > HTH!
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > deebs wrote:
                            >> Thanks for the explanation Jim - it does deepen one's insight.
                            >>
                            >> My naive approach is: why design multiple times for multiple media?
                            >>
                            >> Is it better to design once and then export out at the required settings?
                            >>
                            >> It may be a concept shift and I can understand why targeting to 100%
                            >> of what the end user will experience is a good premise.
                            >>
                            >> Convergence, in many ways, may challenge a premise that suggests one
                            >> application to design for print, another for web, another for small
                            >> screen, another for ...
                            >>
                            >> Good as these were in the past, are they good enough, I wonder, for
                            >> the 21st Century?
                            >>
                            >>
                            >> Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
                            >>> deebs wrote:
                            >>>> Is there any good reason for the additional complexity of making
                            >>>> fonts look good?
                            >>>>
                            >>>>
                            >>>>
                            >>>> Linda Rathgeber wrote:
                            >>>>> briz26 wrote:
                            >>>>>> Hi,
                            >>>>>>
                            >>>>>> I am new to fireworks, when creating images with fonts, the fonts
                            >>>>>> do not appear as sharp as I would like them too. For example, the
                            >>>>>> fonts are not as crisp and sharp on the edges as like MS Word. I
                            >>>>>> have played around with all the basic settings, (crisp anti-alias,
                            >>>>>> made the resolution 300 dpi,) using verdana size 10 black.
                            >>>>>
                            >>>>> At size 10 you need to turn antialiasing off.
                            >>>>>
                            >>>
                            >>> Fireworks expects everything to end up as a bitmap, even if in the
                            >>> long run, it doesn't.
                            >>>
                            >>> Unlike MS Word, FW by default anti-aliases the text so that it blends
                            >>> with the background. Why? Because (again by default) FW is showing
                            >>> you what the "bitmapped" text will look like when it is exported as a
                            >>> graphic. The good thing is you have control over it through changing
                            >>> the alias properties.
                            >>>
                            >>>
                            >>> Example:
                            >>>
                            >>> Type a line of text into FW and ZOOM in to make it fill the screen.
                            >>> You will see how the pixels representing the font blend in with the
                            >>> background.
                            >>>
                            >>> Do the same in MS Word. Zoom in to 300% or more. Text still looks
                            >>> fine because (a) it's being treated as a vector and (b) there is no
                            >>> anti-aliasing on text in a word processor.
                            >>>
                            >>> Go back to FW and change the font size to 40 or 80 pixels. At the
                            >>> same magnification, the text will look better and at 100% it will
                            >>> probably look great.
                            >>>
                            >>>
                            >
                            >