26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2013 2:58 PM by forephar2

Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?

forephar2 Level 1

I have Premiere Elements 11 running on Win7. I video the subject in front of a green screen and see the entire body including feet in the video. When I edit it on Elements I see the entire body including the feet. When I post it to the internet, it cuts off the person at the knees. I have even tried raising the body to the ceiling of the frame and it just shows the person high up in the screen on the web, but still cut off at the knees. Every single time, can someone please assist?

• 1. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
          Barbara B. Level 7

Hi, forephar2. This forum is for Photoshop Elements and very few of us use Premiere Elements. It has its own forum and it's better to ask PRE questions there--you'll get more answers. I'll move this for you.

• 2. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
            forephar2 Level 1

Thanks Barbara, can you also provide a link to that forum as it is not

listed as one of the choices. I only see Photoshop Elements or Premier Pro

• 3. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
              garymanilow Level 1

Are you sure barbara? This is the Premiere elements forum.

• 4. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                garymanilow Level 1

What is happening on the legs? Wearing pants? What color etc?

• 5. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

forephar2

Is the crop tool involved in your Premiere Elements green screen project?

Please check out this recent thread here which dealt with green screen and what sounds like some of your issues.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5310686#5310686

We have established that you are using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 (probably 64 bit), but what are the properties of your source media, what did you or the project set for the project preset, and what are your export settings? Are you posting to YouTube, Vimeo, or Facebook from within the program or exporting your Timeline to a file which you upload at the online site at the online web site?

Let us start here.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                    garymanilow Level 1

PS Awesome thread title... ;-)

• 7. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you talking about editing Greenscreen in Video?

If so, then Barbara has Moved you to the correct forum.

I will go and find a similar thread, and post a link to that. Please read it, and then, tell us if your situation is similar.

Good luck, and be back in a moment.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is that thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5312575#5312575

Please read all the way through it, as there were a few confusing tangents, but I think that this is the problem, or a very similar one, that you have.

If that thread does not provide the solution to your situation, then please post the full details. See the posted details, that the OP in that thread added.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Wow, this thread got active in a hurry. When I started to post, there was only the Reply about moving the thread!

I believe that ATR and I are on the same page, as we both participated in that linked thread (sorry that it took me about 35 sec. to find it... ).

His questions might well hold the clues to getting what you want, so please do not pass on those - they ARE important.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I posted a link in post #5, the same one that you just are now posting in post #8. Why do they are different addresses?

Curious.

ATR

• 11. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

You are so very quick!

I hope that thread will be useful to Forephar2.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I am guessing that you probably went directly to that thread, and I accessed it via a Search, with Show More. I have been complaining about this to the Adobe Forums Team, for some time now, but they think that it is all related to how one gets to the thread, and then to how Jive handles things. Not my favorite, but I need Search for these forums, as my memory fades with old age.

Same thread, and we are thinking, and asking the same thing.

Note the posting times - they are all almost exactly the same. Now, THAT seems like service, so long as we are both correct in what the OP's problem is.

I'll step back, and hope that the OP gets the answers for that (well, maybe "those" ) thread(s).

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Forephar2,

If nothing else, you certainly generated a lot of interest, and responses. This forum is quite good, and often very quick.

I hope that the link that ATR furnished will solve, or help solve, your problem. If not, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification. Also note, there were some tangents in that thread, as its OP did not understand a few things. Do not get side-tracked on those. I think that ATR and I covered things pretty completely. However, if not for you, please tell us how your situation differs. There will be an answer, but it might take a few posts to get down to that.

Good luck, and happy "reading."

Hunt

• 14. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                    forephar2 Level 1

Thank you and yes, I am experiencing the same exact issue. I am using the

Green Screen Key and Crop tool, however I leave the bottom and top of the

crop at 0 and see my full legs and feet in the editing screen. It's

obviously not confusing my pants for green, as on the computer is deletes

out the green for the background, but leaves my legs in the editing screen.

It appears this other thread never had resolution. Am I missing it?

Thanks for the quick replies all!

• 15. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

forephar2

I went through every inch of what that user was doing with comparable samples and could never get the floating or cut off business as evidenced by the YouTube links that I included in that thread.

So, please give that whole thread a close look for details, especially with regard to project preset, properties of source media, and your choice of export settings among other things. If you do not uncover the reason for the cut offs, then please post in detail

a. project preset - are you setting it or is the project taking over in that regard...if project doing the setting, please check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size so that we can determine the project preset that was set by the program.

b. properties of your source media - that should match the properties of your source media.

c. details of export settings

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, that thread had resolution, and pretty early on.

Both ATR and I had to keep pointing out the issue, and posted several examples, but I am not sure if the OP ever fully read the replies, as they kept doing the same thing over, and over.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                          forephar2 Level 1

I can now say with 100% certainty it is the cropping tool causing the

problem, but I do not know why. It is set at 0 for no crop on the top and

bottom and shows no crop on the top or bottom in editing and playback mode,

but crops the bottom in publishing mode. When I go back into the vid after

publishing, it still shows a 0 under the bottom %.

I tried making a quick 30 second montage of every combo of effects and each

time the crop tool was used you see the legs get cut off at the knees

https://www.youtube.com/edit?ns=1&video_id=GFVLY3g7CTY

The source media is coming from a Cannon HDD video camcorder.

The Editing Mode shows as HDV 1080i.

Time Base is 29.97 frames/second

Frame Size 1440 X 1080

Please let me know if I can provide you with any additional info and thank

you again so much for the assistance. I put the actual crop %'s on the

video link for each segment. If there is a work around tool I can use in

the meantime that would be helpful as well.

Thanks so much!!!

• 18. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I would post a screen-cap of your Timeline, and also the Applied Effects (with Crop twirled open) Panel, with your greenscreen Clip Selected. It will possibly be useful to show how that Clip looks in the Program Monitor, and you could include that in the screen-cap of the Applied Effects Panel, just by placing the CTI over that greenscreen Clip.

It migh also be useful to post a very short portion of the greenscreen Clip, so that others can use it, and explore the issue. You could use a service, like DropBox, or even attach it to an e-mail to me at info AT huntphoto DOT com. Obviously, AT = @ and DOT = . with no spaces. This should be a Trimmed segment, but without any Effects, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

forephar2

I have been tied up with other business away from the forum and am only now getting back to your thread and the issues that its presents. I will read all in depth. But I have something that I would like you to try. The suggestion is based on a curious positive result that I had yesterday with regards to trying to insert an image into a disc menu while customizing that menu.

Everything, absolutely everything for Premiere Elements and the computer was working except for the replacement background for the main menu in the Movie Theme area of Premiere Elements 11. I tried everything. The image just would not import into the main menu space for it. Then I decided to give flushing the preferences a try. It worked. Could we be so lucky to get your Crop Effect workflow to work by doing this? On the other hand, it could be project setting or something else within the bounds of user control, but...

Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found in the path (for Windows 7 or 8 64 bit)

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

(Make sure that you have Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives on so that you will be able to see the complete path.)

Depending on how the above turns out, I want to take a look at your project preset and project settings and export settings to see if I can pick up on anything that Hunt has not already addressed in this thread and/or that the both of us have not addressed in the older thread cited.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                                forephar2 Level 1

I've been able to narrow it down further. It is not the cropping tool, it's

actually the publishing tool which is causing the issue. I am thinking this

is the case from the following testing.

As requested, I used a video screen record tool to show the work and pulled

out all of the effects other than the crop and left enough footage for

others to play with here.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkmJ2mKVe9U

I showed posting it through the program to youTube here (which is where the

apparent problem is)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awj80epMbg4

Then for Sh1ts and giggles I tried saving the same exact video to my

desktop first as an AVCHD file and uploaded that to YouTube. As you can

see, the video looks as it should without the bottom being cropped off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMSnP4u-X7w

The interesting and confusing thing however is using the YouTube publishing

tool doesn't crop the video, it's only when it's used with the cropping

tool that it malfunctions.

• 21. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                                  forephar2 Level 1

Since I am positive your reply will be what are my settings in the

publishing app, I was using the default preset "Flash Video for YouTube).

There are 8 choices however. Is this as simple as choosing an alternate

preset?

• 22. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

After you try ATR's suggestion, could you do one more test, should that not fixt things, please?

Instead of applying the Crop Effect, try the 4-point Garbage Matte, to knock out the sides of the greenscreen. Share with the same settings, that were presenting problems, and report on whether the Garbage Matte did the same thing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

forephar2

We may have our answer when your wrote

I was using the default preset "Flash Video for YouTube).

You have a 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 project and you are doing an 640 x 480 4:3 upload if you are using the YouTube preset =

Flash Video for YouTube. That sounds like a prime candidate for checking out as a causative factor.

Go for the YouTube preset = High Definition VIdeo for YouTube - 1440 x 1080 and please let us know the results so that we can rule that in or out of the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 24. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                                        forephar2 Level 1

1440 X 1080 also cuts off.

I actually posted under all 8 formats though to test and it plays correctly

under  Flash Video for YouTube (widescreen), HD 1920X1080, PAL (widescreen)

and PAL HD1920X1080.

Thanks so much for all of the help!!!

• 25. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

forephar2

Thanks for the follow up.

Are you saying that, if you use Share/Online/YouTube, that there are settings that exist which result in no cut offs of legs in what is displayed on YouTube?

If that is true, great news and as simple as selecting alternative YouTube presets. I can envision the dynamics of that for the 1920 x 1080 16:9 choices, but I am still thinking about the dynamics of the others that you mentioned that worked.

If I am reading all results correctly, this could be an issue with YouTube handling of 1440 x 1080 which has been know to be the case. Typically when one gets to exporting 1440 x 1080 HD Anamorphic 16:9 which depends on a 16:9 flag to stretch it to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding, the recommendation is to use export setting for 1920 x 1080 16:9 which requires no stretching with its associated need for the 16:9 recognition by the player.

Please confirm that I have not misread you report.

Thanks.

ATR

• 26. Re: Why does Premiere Elements cut my legs off?
                                                            forephar2 Level 1

Correct. It is cutting off in all standard and 1440 X 1080 versions,

however loads properly in all widescreen and 1920 X 1080 versions.

Thanks again!