5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2013 3:51 AM by Carl Sun

Problems with Adobe Exchange/Extensions Manager in Dreamweaver CC

SheilaEstrada

Hi - having problems with getting my extensions to appear in Dreamweaver CC after upgrading from Creative Suite 5.5. Converted all previous extensions to zxp files and downloaded some new ones through the Adobe Exchange but nothing shows in any of the Dreamweaver CC menus. Needless to say I am not happy. Anybody have any suggestions??

• 1. Re: Problems with Adobe Exchange/Extensions Manager in Dreamweaver CC
          Carl Sun Level 4

Are you using Windows or Mac? Are you the author of these extensions? If you install extensions through Adobe Exchange, you have to restart DW CC to make them take effect in UI. If you didn't see any error messages in Extension Manager CC or Exchange Panel and DW configuration files (menus.xml, ...) under "/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CC/<locale>/Configuration" or "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC\<locale>\Configuration" did get updated after extension installation, Perhaps the built-in DW menu IDs which you reference in your mxi file are no longer valid. Please confirm in DW forum. If the configuration files were not updated, please ensure you have sufficient permission to update them.

• 2. Re: Problems with Adobe Exchange/Extensions Manager in Dreamweaver CC
            SheilaEstrada Level 1

Hi Carl -- I am on a Mac running 10.6.8. I just signed up for Creative Cloud and downloaded all the new software. I have already used both Dreamweaver and InDesign to edit/create new files and have had no problem.

When I tried to find my extensions in Dreamweaver CC, could not find them so did some research and discovered I had to change the mxp files to zxp with Extension Manager CS6. I did that. Then I downloaded the latest version of Extension Manager CC (version 7.0.0.347) and used that to install all of my existing extensions. All but one appeared to install successfully with no error messages and are now listed in the Extension Manager window as installed.

I then restarted Dreamweaver and nothing was in either the top or side insert panels. I restarted several times and nothing happened. I then closed all programs, ran disk utility and restarted entire computer and Dreamweaver. Again no extensions. By the way, I still have Dreamweaver CS5.5 on my hard drive.

Spent hours trying to find solution in Adobe forum and on web. No luck.

I just checked the configuration files both under my user name and found no reference to the installed extensions in CC but did find the older mxp extensions listed in the Dreamweaver CS5.5/en_US/ Configuration/Extensions folder.

The extensions I am trying to load include some that I just downloaded today through Adobe Exchange and others that I purchased over the past two years and were running just fine in Dreamweaver CS5.5. All appear as installed in Extension Manager CC.

Not sure what I should try next????

• 3. Re: Problems with Adobe Exchange/Extensions Manager in Dreamweaver CC
              Carl Sun Level 4

Is the same language used in your Mac OS, Dreamweaver CC and Extension Manager CC? For example, all are in English? Could you tell me the extension names you downloaded through Adobe Exchange?

• 4. Re: Problems with Adobe Exchange/Extensions Manager in Dreamweaver CC
                SheilaEstrada Level 1

Hi Carl -- I discovered it was my fault (no surprise)!

After I downloaded all the Creative Cloud applications, I created a new folder within my Applications folder to keep them all together. Apparently the Extensions Manager program doesn't like that. I uninstalled Dreamweaver and Extensions Manager, then reinstalled in the Applications folder and now everything is working. Some extensions don't install properly but most do. One issue I found is that some extensions did not write their code properly, using lower case instead of Caps for the Configuration folder paths. Hopefully they will fix that.

Another issue is that there is no way to tell when trying to download an extension through Adobe Exchange as to whether it is an mxp or zxp file. When it is an mxp file, it takes forever (sometimes a half hour or more) for Extension Manager to decide that it can't install it. Maybe your developers can address that issue in both programs in future updates??

Anyway, thanks for you help!

Sheila

• 5. Re: Problems with Adobe Exchange/Extensions Manager in Dreamweaver CC
                  Carl Sun Level 4

You moved the installation folders of Creative Cloud applications to the new created folder but this way the PCD will not be updated. So Extension Manager can't find these applications.

There are only ZXP files in new Adobe Exchange. The MXP files only exists in the old Exchange (Exchange Classic). Could you please tell me the detailed steps to reproduce the issue that Extension Manager CC takes half an hour or more to decide that it can't install a mxp file?