8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2013 9:12 AM by jmt111 RSS

Using arrow and home / end keys to navigate within a pdf

jmt111 Community Member

Sometimes, in Acrobat, the home, end and arrow keys just move a cursor within the text of a pdf. But other times, they serve to navigate between pages. How can I get them to serve the latter function?

• 1. Re: Using arrow and home / end keys to navigate within a pdf
          Dave Merchant CommunityMVP

In the 'fit one full page' zoom mode, the arrow keys change pages (as do PgUp/PgDown) and Home/End go to the first/last page.

In continuous-scrolling zoom modes (fit width, etc.) the arrow keys scroll line-by-line, and the other keys behave as above.

• 2. Re: Using arrow and home / end keys to navigate within a pdf
            jmt111 Community Member

The only Zoom modes that I have are Actual Size, Zoom to Page Level, Fit Width, Fit Heigh and Fit Visible (see below image). I don't have "fit one full page" or "continuous scrolling" zoom.

Adobe Acrobat X zoom modes.jpg

Also, if by "fit one full page," you mean "Fit Height," the arrow keys do not serve to change pages for me. They only serve to move the cursor.

• 3. Re: Using arrow and home / end keys to navigate within a pdf
              Bernd Alheit CommunityMVP

Look at Page Display not Zoom.

• 4. Re: Using arrow and home / end keys to navigate within a pdf
                jmt111 Community Member

This is how it works for me:

Under View | Page Display:

• If Single Page View or Two Page View is selected, the arrow keys scroll between pages
                • If Enable Scrolling or Two Page Scrolling is selected, the arrow keys move between individual letters and lines.
                • 5. Re: Using arrow and home / end keys to navigate within a pdf
                  Dave Merchant CommunityMVP

...which is what I told you 6 weeks ago.

• 6. Re: Using arrow and home / end keys to navigate within a pdf
                    jmt111 Community Member

My Post 4 does not reiterate your post 1 “six weeks ago.” On 2 July you wrote “In the 'fit one full page' zoom mode, the arrow keys change pages (as do PgUp/PgDown) and Home/End go to the first/last page.”

In my version (Acrobat X), I do not have (or cannot find) “fit one full page” zoom mode and in any case, it is not relevant for what I am trying to do. For me to change pages, I choose “Single Page View” or “Two Page View,” and neither of these have anything to do with fitting one full page on the screen. When I choose the former, I get about the top half of the first page to display. When I choose the latter, I get about the top half of the first two pages to display.

You further wrote that in “continuous-scrolling zoom modes (fit width, etc.) the arrow keys scroll line-by-line, and the other keys behave as above.”

In my version (Acrobat X), I do not have (or cannot find) “continuous-scrolling” zoom mode and in any case, it is not relevant for what I am trying to do. For me to activate the arrow keys between letters and lines, I choose Enable Scrolling or Two Page Scrolling.

If what I am calling “Enable Scrolling” or “Two Page Scrolling” is what you are calling “continuous-scrolling zoom modes,” then your statement “the other keys behave as above” does not apply to my version (Acrobat X). For me, when Enable Scrolling or Two Page Scrolling is selected, page up and page down take me about half way up or half way down into the page and home / end take me to the beginning or end of the respective line.

• 7. Re: Using arrow and home / end keys to navigate within a pdf
                      LoriAUC CommunityMVP

The only way to get the home/end and arrow keys to navigate an entire page is if you're viewing an entire page. So, you can't be zoomed in. You can set this as a default under Edit > Preferences > Page Display and under Zoom dropdown select "Fit Page" or you can use the keyboard shortcut (Windows) Ctrl + 0 prior to using the home/end/arrow keys to view and entire page.

• 8. Re: Using arrow and home / end keys to navigate within a pdf
                        jmt111 Community Member

I suspect the settings vary based on the version. In my version (Acrobat X), the arrow keys scroll between pages if Single Page View or Two Page View is selected, even if the entire page is not displayed.