7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2017 1:42 PM by jackthegiantslayer

Separate Dimensions for 2D point controls

malu05a

Arcording to: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7e94 a.html#WSB9C92251-D2B9-49de-8B7E-EE981AD17522 you should be able to seperate XY dimentions for 2D point controls.

But if i add a point expression control (or any other control that have a 2D position slider) the Separate Dimensions button is grey.

How do i split them?

• 1. Re: Separate Dimensions for 2D point controls
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select Position, then right click and select Separate Dimensions. This only works with Layer Position. If you have the position set up as Separate Positions then instead of adding a point control add two sliders. One for X and one for Y (or a third for Z if you have a 3D layer).

Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 5.12.59 AM.png

• 2. Re: Separate Dimensions for 2D point controls
            malu05a Level 1

Is that the only solution?

So basicly all nodes and plugins that have point controls have to be "workarouned"?

Man that is some poor UI design right there.

Unavngivet.png

• 3. Re: Separate Dimensions for 2D point controls
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This is how it always has been. AE's property streams and the UI controls for them are hard-coded and the only reason it works for the position property is that it's actualyl one helluva an ugly hack that is equally hard-coded and not available within teh standard API functions.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Separate Dimensions for 2D point controls
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know what is so difficult about attaching one slider to  X and one to Y? That's what you are trying to do. Five seconds and two click and drag's with the pickwhip. That will work with any array for any property that has more than one value like color, scale, orientation, or feature center.

The only time it may become difficult is when you are trying to use the Graph Editor to change the timing of different values without the aid of an expression controller.

• 5. Re: Separate Dimensions for 2D point controls
                  malu05a Level 1

Thanks Mylenium for the answer.

I guess that is lack of competition...

• 6. Re: Separate Dimensions for 2D point controls
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The title of the Help section that you point to makes it rather clear that this is just for the Position property: "Separate dimensions of Position to animate components individually".

> I guess that is lack of competition...

It's more a lack of people requesting this. If you want to submit a feature request, you can do so here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 7. Re: Separate Dimensions for 2D point controls
                      jackthegiantslayer Level 1

Funny thing is, in almost every single freaking animation studio I have ever ever worked in I have heard this same question repeatedly..."Why in the hell can't we separate every input variable?"

For instance if I want to separate the X,Y size of a rectangular shape layer, why are we so limited? There are times when I want to change the entire X width of a shape that has multiple keyframes on the Y, but if I select all keyframes and change the X, the Y is assigned that value across the board as well. We should have the option to separately animate every single input variable, NOT JUST POSITION.

This is where Adobe's annoying feature request/prayer option is completely, utterly useless. Busy professionals do not have the time to make a feature request every single time they hit some ridiculous ceiling in AE aging infrastructure...and even when they hit it repeatedly they roll their eyes, curse and try to work around their frustrations because they are on a deadline. I also believe that Adobe makes the request process intentionally annoying with so many unnecessary boxes to fill out that many people just give up. Why do you need our email if you are just going to read it and not respond to us? But you know the single biggest reason Adobe doesn't get these much needed feature requests? BECAUSE WE DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE. We have so little faith at this point we might as well be praying to Zeus.