15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2013 2:57 PM by station_two RSS

Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)

station_two Community Member

Bridge 5.0.2.4 running under Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 does not know to which application to hand a ".pictclipping" file.

This type of file normally opens in the Finder, without launching any other application or utility of any kind.

However, Bridge doesn't even show a preview in The Content panel or in the Preview panel either.  Double clicking on such a file within Bridge's Content panel results in Bridge launching and/or bringing to the front the TextEdit application showing a totally empty window showing the actual name of the file in its title bar but a completely blank window.

Needless to say, it's not possible to establish a file association between this kind of file and the Finder from within Bridge.

Just another example of the lack of attention and resources Adobe has shown toward its stepchild application, Bridge. 

Adobe Photoshop 13.0.5 does not open such files through its Open menu item dialog either, even though it correctly detects them as a .PICT files.

• 1. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)
          Curt Y Community Member

.PICT is a Macintosh Picture Image File and can be opened in Photoshop.  So it Bridge the association should be CC.  On my Win OS machine with CS6 it says PhotoshopCS6.

• 2. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)

No, Curt Y.  .pictClipping files are NOT the same as the long-deprecated .PICT files at all, in that a pictClipping does not need any application like Photoshop to display in the Finder.    That is the problem.

The correct file association should indeed be the Finder, never Photoshop.

Having to launch Photoshop totally defeats the essence and purpose of a .pictClipping file.

The problem is that the Finder is not visible to Bridge, or Bridge does not have the wherewithall to identify the Finder as an application of its own.

Both .textclipping and .pictclipping have the great advantage of being instantly viewable without having to launch anything once you boot your machine up.

Note that the extension is NOT .pict or .PICT but .pictClipping.

.PICT is an obsolete format in the Mac world, and it's to Adobe's great credit that Photoshop opens such obsolete, deprecated files.

I do not want to have any of my pictClippings open in Photoshop—ever.

The least Bridge could do is to show the preview thumbnail in its Content and Preview panels, which the Finder readily shows.

---

Off topic: "CC" is non-existent as far as I'm personally concerned, as I'll never have anything to do with the Cash Cow subscription model.

• 3. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)

A .pictClipping clip file is created on the Mac simply by just dragging an image from any running application window to the Desktop, and it's never associated with any application other than the Finder. 

Same with a .textClipping file, for the creation of which you just select any text from any application window (web browser, text editor, word processor, PDF reader—whatever) and drag your selection to your desktop.  No application needed to open it at all; the Finder on any Mac opens it on its own.

• 5. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)
                Curt Y Community Member

So what is the point of the OP?  If a .pictclip file can be opened by Finder then why expect Bridge to open it?  If file is not in File Type Association you can not associate it to anything.  THe Mac OS should associate .pictclip with Finder.

• 6. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)

I don't expect Bridge to open anythingBridge cannot open anything—ever.  Its job is simply to hand any file it shows you to the appropriate application. Just like the Finder does.

It is not aware of the Finder as an application, so it sends clippings to TextEdit, which cannot deal with pictClippings at all.

The point of the Original Post is to highlight Bridge's inability to reflect what can be done in the Finder.

The point here is that one creates clippings as a fast reminder, much like a sticky Scotch pad in real life, so you often find your clippings in folders you are viewing through Bridge, mixed in with image files.

I get that you can't even imagine this mechanism as you have never worked on Macs.  For Mac users this shortcoming of Bridge is disturbing, very annoying.  You have to Control-click on the content pane to get the "Reveal In Finder" contextual (dropdown) menu item.  I call it ironic because Photoshop was born as a Macintosh application, and we all know that many Adobe engineers and other staff members use Macs most of the time.

• 7. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)

Curt Y wrote:

…THe Mac OS should associate .pictclip with Finder.

I agree, of course, and the Mac OS does associate .pictClipping with the Finder.  It's the stupid Bridge that doesn't.

• 8. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)
                      Curt Y Community Member

Like I have stated above I do not see .pictclip as a known file in Bridge.  If it is not listed then one can not associate any program to it to open it.

A request would have to be made to Adobe to add support for this file type.  And we all know fast that happens.

• 9. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)

Curt Y wrote:

Like I have stated above I do not see .pictclip as a known file in Bridge.  If it is not listed then one can not associate any program to it to open it.

That's exactly what I've been trying to tell you ever since the OP, Curt. 

BTW, the file type is called .pictClipping, not .pictclip. The extension is indeed a twelve-letter one. 

I have no illusions as to the ability and/or willingness of the elephantine Adobe bureaucracy to do anything at all, much less when Bridge is concerned, the ugly stepchild in the Adobe family.  The OP was meant to highlight that pathetic situation in which Adobe has been inexorably sinking since the Macromedia merger fiasco,

• 10. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)
                          CameraAnn Community Member

The only way to see an image contained within a PictClipping in OSX 10.8.4 is in Apple's own Finder App. and it appears that you can't do anything with it once you have "found" it?!

Clicking on it, only opens it in an empty RTF window.

Text in a PictClipping also opens in an RTF window but you can read the contents and Copy it in order to paste into another document..

Images from other than MS Office progams can be drag-copied to the Desktop as JPEGs and MS Office images can always be Copied/Saved As to the location and format of your choice. So I am not sure why anyone would need to make an Image PictClipping anyway?

Bridge does show the presence of all PictClipping files — in any folder including the Desktop.

Double-Clicking on one will immediately open a small Finder .app window floating over the Bridge CC window.

If the Clipping contains text you will be able to see and read  the contents immediately in the floating Finder App window; and Copy the text in order to paste into a TextEdit or other document..

However, Bridge will show only the file icon for any image-containing Clipping; and double-clicking will simply open a blank Finder .app floating window.

• 11. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)

CameraAnn wrote:

The only way to see an image contained within a PictClipping in OSX 10.8.4 is in Apple's own Finder App. and it appears that you can't do anything with it once you have "found" it?!  …

That's exactly as it is meant to be, Ann.  An image that is lightning fast to create, lightning fast to view and utterly impossible to alter, manipulate or edit! 

You can, however, copy its contents to your Clipboard after Command+A.

CameraAnn wrote:

Clicking on it, only opens it in an empty RTF window.

Double clicking on it in all Mac OS versions I know, from Mac OS 9.x and earlier up to and including Lion 10.7.5, immediately shows the image in the Finder itself in a stretchable, floating, Finder window.

Have no knowledge of Mountain Lion (which won't run on my Mac Pro1,1 Quad) but what you describe above is exactly what happens when you double click the image in Bridge's Content panel, and that's just plain wrong behavior.  The blank window is not a Finder window in that case, but a TextEdit window.

CameraAnn wrote:

Images from other than MS Office progams can be drag-copied to the Desktop as JPEGs and MS Office images can always be Copied/Saved As to the location and format of your choice.

So I am not sure why anyone would need to make an Image PictClipping anyway?

Oh, I make pictClippings and textClippings all the time, every single day!

For example, I have a large collection of both pictClippings and textClippings containg killer tips by Photoshop luminaries like Bruce Fraser, Ann Shelbourne and Andrew Rodney, that I've created over the years—in a nanosecond each time—by simply highlighting portions of their Adobe forum posts and dragging the selection to the Desktop:  instant, permanent reminders!

No application needed to open them or to copy their contents.

Another helpful use is to select text from emails giving me the registration or serial number of applications or plug-ins I buy online then save the clipping in a Reg_SerialNumbers folder for later.

CameraAnn wrote:

However, Bridge will show only the file icon for any image-containing Clipping…

Sure, but that's just the unacceptable, unnecessary tease I'm complaining about.  

CameraAnn wrote:

…Double-Clicking on one will immediately open a small Finder .app window floating over the Bridge CC window…

You're wrong there, Ann; it's not a Finder window but a TextEdit window.  Just look at your menu bar next time you invoke such a tease from within Bridge: the focus will have shifted to the TextEdit application.  That's why the window will show text but not images. 

Clippings are one of the GREAT features of the Mac OS that are missing in Windows, and one very important factor that attracted me to the Mac almost thirty years ago. 

I am very, very surprised that you haven't discovered its usefulness after all these years, as you are one of the savviest Mac user experts I've ever run across.

• 12. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)

EDITED my previous post for typos.

• 13. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)
                                CameraAnn Community Member

I have seldom used PictClippings myself except for grabbing urls from the address line in my Browser.

To keep longer parts of info on web pages etc., I always simply "Print to PDF" and save the file to a Folder which should rightfully be titled "Pack Rat's Nest".

• 14. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)

CameraAnn wrote:

I have seldom used PictClippings myself except for grabbing urls from the address line in my Browser…

That shouldn't create a .pictClipping file but a .webloc file. 

CameraAnn wrote:

…To keep longer parts of info on web pages etc., I always simply "Print to PDF" and save the file to a Folder…

Compared to creating and viewing a clip, that method is like a hippo wading through specially thick, heavy clay mud on a very cold day. 

Incidentally, the ability to create picyClipping files was removed by Apple from the OS in one of the two Lepards.  It's still there in Tiger but gone in Leopard and Lion.  They can still be viewed in the Finder, though,

• 15. Re: Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)

Another irony:

The discovery of this anomaly has led me to a new appreciation of the huge advances of the Mac Finder in recent OS X releases.

I had grown so accustomed to using Bridge that I had neglected to enjoy the Finder views since Tiger 10.4.x.  I'm just blown away by the quality of what can be viewed in the Finder in Lion 10.7.5.

Of course, you don't get instant access to the metadata in the Finder, but the thumbnail and previews knock the socks off the Bridge Content and Preview panels.

I'm seriously considering dropping Bridge now—given the bugginess and sluggishness of all Bridge releases as neglected by Adobe.