9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 8:25 PM by A.T. Romano

youtube upload quality

darrenhillock

I am having trouble with uploads to YouTube. When I upload after working on a video in Premiere, the quality is bad -- blotchy and soft. When I upload to youtube directly, from my phone or camera, the video looks great. I have tried this with exact same clips and quality is always bad after Premiere. Any suggestions? I use a Canon vixia HF R10 and a Samsung Galaxy SIII.

• 1. Re: youtube upload quality
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, a few questions please:

What version of PrE?

What OS?

What are your Project's settings?

What are the full details of your Canon and Samsung footage?

What sort of editing are you doing - straight Cuts, or any Effects, etc.?

It sounds like you are encountering these problems when you do the direct upload to YouTube. Is that correct?

Have you tried an Export/Share/Publish to a YouTube H.264, then a manual upload to YouTube? If not, that would be a good test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: youtube upload quality
            darrenhillock Level 1

Hunt:

I usually apply no effects other than transitions and a logo in the corner. I do edit clips for length.

I am having this problem when I upload straight from PrE to YT.

PrE version is 10.

I am working on a Windows 7 64bit machine.

Settings: editing mode HDV 1080i; timebase 29.97 fps; display 30 fps; Are there other key settings?

Here are details of a typical clip from the canon: 1440x1080, data rate 8290kbps; total bitrate 8546 kbps; frame rate is 29 frames per second; audio bit rate 256kbps; 2 channel stereo; audio sample rate 48khz.

Here are details of a typical clip from the Samsung: 1920x1080; data rate 16987 kbps; total bitrate 17112; frame rate 29 frames per second; audio bit rate 125kbps;

I don't think I have tried "Export/Share/Publish to a YouTube H.264, then a manual upload to YouTube?" Can you explain that?

Here is a clip straight from the samsung, without going through PrE. http://youtu.be/NN7wDh_6QKo

Here is the same clip through PrE: http://youtu.be/pkI5xE9G_uI

The same loss of detail and sharpness occurs with the Canon too.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Darren

• 3. Re: youtube upload quality
              A.T. Romano Level 7

darrenhillock

Given Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 64 bit

Please clarify, is the video problem from mixed Timeline 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 (Canon) PLUS 1920 x 1080 16:9 (Samsung) upload to YouTube from within the program or also from 1440 x 1080 HD anamorpic 16:9 (Canon) done in one project and 1920 x 1080 16:9 (Samsung) done in another project for upload to YouTube from within the program?

In that regard, what is the result from:

Project 1

Canon 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 (@29.97 interlaced frames per second)

Premiere Elements 10 Windows/Project Preset: NTSC/AVCHD/HD 1080i30

Share/Online/YouTube/Upload Preset: High Definition Video for YouTube - 1440 x 1080

Project 2

Samsung 1920 x 1080 16:9 (here I am assuming that this is 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second)

Premiere Elements 10 Windows/Project Preset: NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30

Share/Online/YouTube/Upload Preset: High Definition VIdeo for YouTube - 1920 x 1080

If you have not done so already, I want to determine if you issue goes to a mixed Timeline or basic settings for a given format.

I see similar problems for the video displaying on the YouTube web site with or without Premiere Elements in the equation. With Premiere Elements in the equation the overall problem may or may not be worse.

Are you shooting at maximum offered quality for both cameras?

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: youtube upload quality
                darrenhillock Level 1

ATR:

I don't mix clips from these two cameras into 1 project. I am shooting pieces for a hyperlocal news website. I either use one camera or the other per project. Typically I use the Canon unless I don't happen to have it with me. Then I will use my phone. The poor result on YT - and consequently on the embeds on my site -- exist once edited in Premiere E in either case. The software prompts me to accept different setings when I go from a project with one clip type to the other, a suggestion I always accept.

I am shooting on max quality on the Samsung. I just checked the Canon set-up and it looks like I am using Standard mode, with two higher quality settings available.

Thanks for any insights you can offer.

Darren

• 5. Re: youtube upload quality
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Darren

Thanks for the follow up.

I just started going through the instruction manual for your Canon HF R10.

Definitely shot in the FXP Mode for better quality movie. Another per of that mode is that you will be shooting 1920 x 1080 16:9 instead of 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 which depends upon a 16:9 flag to stretch the 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding.

The manual advises that setting for higher quality movies. Let us see if it makes a difference in this case. It looks like the camera is using a variable bitrate depending on the scenes in the footage.

From the best that I can determine at this time is that you are allowed 3 possible frame rate

60i which is 60 fields per second which is 29.97 interlaced frames per second

30p which is Canon's version of 30 progressive frames per second

24 p which is Canon's version of 24 progressive frames per second

Right now I am suggesting that you look at FXP Mode 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: youtube upload quality
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with ATR's suggestions.

I have virtually the same camcorder, and it produces terrific results if you shoot in 1920x1080i and set up your Premiere Elements 10 project for Full AVCHD 1920x1080i.

If you've matched your project settings to your video, you will NOT see red lines above your clips when you add them to your project's Timeline and you will get the best possible output. Are you seeing red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline in Timeline mode?

• 7. Re: youtube upload quality
                      darrenhillock Level 1

I am not seeing the lines. I will be doing a project Thursday that I will testwith your suggestions and report back. Thanks all. -- Darren

• 8. Re: youtube upload quality
                        darrenhillock Level 1

Sorry about the delayed follow-up.

First I want to thank all of you for the info and suggestions. Here is what I have been doing that has greatly increased the quality of my videos as seen on youtube.

• Shooting in highest quality setting.
                        • In Premiere I am saving to a hard drive with the following preset: MP4 H264 1920x1080 p30.
                        • I then manually upload to youtube.

Here's a short example: http://youtu.be/knUJr8ChPSM

This gives me the quality that I was looking for. It is quite a bit slower. Uploading these files takes hours instead of minutes. But in many cases that will not be a problem and the improved quality is well worth it.

Many thanks!

• 9. Re: youtube upload quality
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Darren

Good to learn of your success. Congratulations.

Enjoyed your YouTube video. You did a good job catching the action and quality.

Keep up the good work.

ATR