1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 2, 2013 1:11 PM by Mark Mapes

Why? All of the sudden Premiere Pro CS6 is taking a VERY long time to process & save Captured video

"JP" Level 1

It started yesterday. I am doing something we have often done before without the slightest problem.
      I Capture a 64 min HDV tape and at the end, when the deck stops and the actual capturing is done, it takes 4 to 6 minutes for the first little window asking me to confirm or enter the clip name to appear. When I do that and click SAVE (I think that's what it says) it takes upwards of 10 minutes for the system to do that.
      During both delays the system reports that Premiere is "not responding." Processor and HDD utilization continue to vary. If I wait long enough the files eventually save normally.

One additional bit of weirdness is that, every so often, it seems that Premiere inserts a RED flash frame and the audio goes 2 to 6 frames out of sync. The red frames are always at a camera stop and restart. The red frames and sync problem are not on the tape (HDV). The footage is shot drop-frame (;) and the sequences are setup to match.

I have rebooted the system several times, but there is no change in behavior.

We're running a Mac, OS X (10.6.8), Dual Quad-Core 2.4GHz, 28GB of 1066 DDR3, There is 255G of space on the working HDD. Capturing from HDV tape played on a JVC BR-HD50 deck.

Anybody have any ideas what may be going with any of the problems? Particularly in the very long SAVE times after capture stops.

Thanks,

JP

• 1. Re: Why? All of the sudden Premiere Pro CS6 is taking a VERY long time to process & save Captured video
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

No clue why the final processes have suddenly started to take so long. Two things I'd try: a) capture from an older tape to see if some problem with the new tape is at fault.  And b) check the health of your RAM and the hard drive.

The red frame sounds a bit like a glitch we used to have in OnLocation (actually in its predecessor HDV Rack) which was caused by a partial GOP. But that was a product of HDV Rack recording from the live video stream. It turned out that HDV cameras intentionally interrupt the data stream for an instant upon starting to record--specifically to avoid recording a partial GOP to tape. So my gut says that the tape has partial GOPs at the points where you stopped/started recording.