13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 2:34 AM by Eberswalde

Problem with CC to CS6

wpalmer15

I created a project in Premiere Pro CS6. Today when it suddenly crashed, I could only re-open it in Premiere Pro CC. Every time I try and open with CS6, it tells me that the project has been damaged and cannot be opened. Could someone please tell me what the problem might be.

• 1. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
          JatinDembla Employee Moderator

Moving this discussionto Premiere Pro Forum discussion

• 2. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Back in CS 6, can you Open a New Program, and then Import your "damaged" Project into it?

Also, and back in CS 6, do you have AutoSaves of the Project? Do they Open properly? [Remember that AutoSaves are FIFO, so #3 might be newer, than #5.]

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
              wpalmer15 Level 1

Trying to import the project into a new CS6 project contunies to give the message "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened". The auto-saves only open into CC. I'm new to Premeire Pro, would it be that different if I just started using CC instead of CS6?

• 4. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ones you have saved the project in Premiere CC you cannot open this in CS6.

Premiere CC is not backwards compatible, hence the message:The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened.

• 5. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
                  joshweiland Level 2

wpalmer15 wrote:

The auto-saves only open into CC. I'm new to Premeire Pro, would it be that different if I just started using CC instead of CS6?

Your file associations change after installing PPro CC; all Premiere projects (including auto-saves) will default to opening in CC.

Your auto-saves should still open in CS6.  Either open the auto-save directly in PPro CS6 or right-click the auto-save and choose "Open With"-->"PPro CS6".

If your project does not involve a multi-cam setup, then I'd say it's fine to move to PPro CC if you want.

• 6. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

would it be that different if I just started using CC instead of CS6?

In a good way.   (As long as you're not doing any multicam work.)

• 7. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
                      Todd Kelgard

Same problem here. I tried opening auto-save files but they do not open. Same "...damaged, it cannot be opened" message. Did Adobe ever give a warning that this was going to be the case with CC files? This is causing major delays for my client.

• 8. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

It's always been that way.  Premiere Pro project files only open in the current or newer version, never older.

• 9. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
                          Todd Kelgard Level 1

Hmmm. I rememeber opening 5.5 files with 5.0 no problem. If Adobe made it obvious that CC would be a major upgrade as opposed to just a shift on how you get the software, I might have known better. But maybe I missed something.

• 10. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I remember opening 5.5 files with 5.0 no problem.

That would be the exception, rather than the norm.

• 11. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
                              joe bloe premiere Level 5

A CC7* Project can be opened in CS6.0.5.

Open CC project file in CS6

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5713352#5713352

* Premiere Pro CC (7.0.1)

• 12. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
                                ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Todd Kelgard wrote:

Same problem here. I tried opening auto-save files but they do not open. Same "...damaged, it cannot be opened" message. Did Adobe ever give a warning that this was going to be the case with CC files? This is causing major delays for my client.

There were some changes to the file formats between CS6 and CC, and in particular for Premiere the new .prproj format is compressed (whereas previously it was plain text)...  That's why CS6 thinks the file is damaged.

So for PPro the standard files aren't compatible – however you can save down some existing work to earlier versions by exporting to XML or other intermediary formats.

• 13. Re: Problem with CC to CS6
                                  Eberswalde Level 1

I found the following work-around: not perfect, but quite good.

• Premiere 6.5 projects can be directly opened in CS6 or earlier just by changing the extension from .ppj to .prproj

• Make a copy of the original .prproj file and name it Name_audio-only.prproj
                                  • Export sequence(s) as FCP XML from CC - multiple sequences can be selected OR select Project Panel to export entire project (Attention: Most video - even intrinsic ones like motion, opacity etc. and audio effects are not correctly translated! Check beforehand that all 3rd party plugins are installed in all versions of PPro!)
                                  • Save a copy of the project as Name_video-only.prproj and delete all audio tracks or audio clips from all sequences that contain video effects
                                  • Close PPro CC project

• If the PPro CC project file is compressed, add .gz as extension and extract with 7zip
                                    • To disable compression in CC:
                                      • Ctrl + F12 to open Console, switch to Debug Database View: BE.CompressProject> false
                                  • Open in Notepad++
                                  • Edit version number change (4th line) from 26 to 23 or 24 and open the project in PPro CS5.0.3 or PPro 5.5.2 and save it.
                                  • If there should be a color picker dialogue box while opening click Cancel (as this is most probably for Adjustment Layer which are not supported in CS5.5)
                                  • If PPro CS5.5 shows a Log of non-translated effects etc., copy and paste them into a text file with the project name for later reference. 
                                    • PPro Version numbers:
                                      • 23>CS5
                                      • 24>CS5.5
                                      • 25>CS6
                                      • 26>CC
                                      • 27>CC 2014
                                    • A simple change to 23 and opening it directly in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 does not work! (Liegt wahrscheinlich an den Audiotracks, da Projekte mit Sequenzen, die nur Video enthalten, teilw. geöffnet werden können.)
                                    • It is possible to open a PPro CS6 project directly in CS5.5 by editing the version number from 25 to 24.

• Open this project Name_video-only.prproj in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and convert it to CS6 project - now you have all the sequences with the supported video effects
                                  • Import FCP XML project file(s) into PPro CS6 and copy the audio tracks from the corresponding sequences (or vice versa: copy video tracks so they align synchronously again)

• Gotcha’s:
                                    • Through Edits, Adjustment Layers, Time Remapping, 3rd party filters, plugins, transitions may not be correctly translated!

PRPROJ File Associations

After installing an update to PPro, Windows will change the default program to the latest program version, e.g. CC. If you want to revert those to CS6, you cannot simply do it with Rightclick>Open with>C hange default program..

There is a way to change the setting in the Windows Registry:

Open regedit.exe as Administrtor

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project. >  shell/open/command and change the path in “” to the correct program version.

You can also do a search in the section of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Adobe.Premiere.(with various endings following the word "Premiere") and change all remaining instances.