8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 12:46 PM by A.T. Romano

Text Font VS Style

Joe Cich

I am editing the text in rolling credits.   What is the difference between Text Font and Style?  And by style I mean the second tab, Default Casion Pro 68, etc, not bold/italic/underline. 

• 1. Re: Text Font VS Style
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The font is the Type Face/Family, and a Style will have a Font, usually a Font Size in points, maybe Drop Shadow, Stroke, Fills, Outer Glows, etc..

When one has set up a Title, and think that they might like to use the adjustments for later use. Then, they can Save the Style, for later.

Note: When needing to add, say a Stroke, one would first choose a Style with a Stroke, then make the changes necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Text Font VS Style
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As a PS, though Styles show Text examples, they can be applied to Shapes, as well.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Text Font VS Style
              Joe Cich Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the reply.   So if I understand correctly, the Styles are applied to the Type Face?  Or does the Style take the place of the Type Face?  First select a Type Face, and then apply a Style?  Can any style be applied to any type face?

Joe

• 4. Re: Text Font VS Style
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Joe Cich

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Text Font VS Style
                  Joe Cich Level 1

Using Premiere Elements 11, Windows 7 Home Premium.

• 6. Re: Text Font VS Style
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Joe Cich

Later in the morning I would like to share with you some of my observations about Premiere Elements 11 Text and Styles and related features.

It is late where I am, so best I do the write up then.

Until then,

ATR

• 7. Re: Text Font VS Style
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It doesn't matter which version of the program you're using. A style is still a style.

Styles apply color, font and text style to your select text or title. A font is just one element of a text's style.

• 8. Re: Text Font VS Style
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Joe Cich

SG's post is well taken

It doesn't matter which version of the program you're using. A style is still a style.

Styles apply color, font and text style to your select text or title. A font is just one element of a text's style.

as well as others.

But, I would offer that it is the logistsics of the Premiere Elements 11 text and style which you appear to be addressing because you have not gotten to working out the details on how Premiere Elements 11 "text, styles, animmation, and shapes" and "Text Menu options" works.

Since you have Premiere Elements 11 with its major interfaces changes as compared to earlier versions, I think it best to confine my observations and comments to version 11.

1. For starters, if you have not already, please check out the Adobe Tech Note on

Premiere Elements/Applying Styles to Text and Graphics

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSF167185D-7CCC-43c5-9D86-5850710EAF78. html

2. I have had issues with the text/style feature, such as styles that would not be saved, created styles that would not delete, setting a default style other than "Default Caslon Pro 68", and having the new set as default not hold for within the project as well as from project to project. For me, these issues seemed to be resolved by uninstalling, reinstalling the program or replacing the Styles Folder in the Program Files. Right now all those issues seem under control.

Generalizations:

(a) if some action is appearing not to work, make sure you see a bounding box around the text or object in the Titler window, indicating that the text or object has been selection by the Text section Selection Tool, then proceed with the action at hand.

(b) The default style including font type, font size, color style is "Default Caslon Pro 68". Even if you set a different default in Styles section of the Titler, that choice will retain the word default in its name. And, you will not see the word default included in your new choice.

(c)  A newly created saved Style's thumbnail displayed in Styles section of the Titler will be characterized by a large white border above and below the representation of the Style.

Here is something to explore:

1. Open the Titler (Text Menu/New Text/Default Text. When the Titler opens, start with the Text section....you should get the style "Default Caslon Pro 68". Type some text. With text selected...

2. Then go to Styles section, select the style "Hobo Medium Gold 58".

3. Go back to the Text section where you will find your text with the "Hobo Medium Gold 58" applied to it. In that Text section, edit the text to your preferences. I selected "Arial Rounded MT Bold" with a font size of 245. I applied some color changes with the color palette.

4. Then back to Styles where I right clicked that "Hobo Medium Gold 58" style and selected Save Style. What I saved at this point was the "Arial Rounded MT Bold" font size 245 for future use. If I wanted it to show up as the default each time I wanted to create text in the Titler, I would include a right click for "Set Style As Default".

Please check out the above and let us know if any of it helped. Please do hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written. I road tested all this just now again, and it still seems to be working as described.

Thanks.

ATR