4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2013 9:10 AM by AE7U

Problem capturing DV format using Canon HV40

AE7U

Although I can capture HDV, when I play a DV tape back. no video is captured, although Premier Elements 11.0 indicates that it is capturing video.  The HV40 automatically outputs DV when a DV tape is played back.  I have tried specifying capturing from a DV device, but then Elements tell me that there is no device control.  I tried specifying DV as the format, but that doesn't work either.  Any advise will be appreciated.  OS is Windows 8.

• 1. Re: Problem capturing DV format using Canon HV40
          Barbara B. Level 7

Hi, AE7U. You posted in the forum for Photoshop Elements and very few of us use Premiere Elements, which has its own forum. You'll get better answers to video questions over there. I'll move this for you.

• 2. Re: Problem capturing DV format using Canon HV40
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

HDV is tape-based high-definition video. Are you capturing tape-based high-definition video over a FireWire connection? What model of camcorder is your video coming from?

If you are getting DV from your camcorder, you must have it set to DV Lock. Is this your intention, or are you trying to capture high-def video?

Have you ensured that you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

Do you get different results if you use the free download HDV Split to capture your video?

• 3. Re: Problem capturing DV format using Canon HV40
              AE7U Level 1

Steve Grisetti wrote:

HDV is tape-based high-definition video. Are you capturing tape-based high-definition video over a FireWire connection?

Yes.  HDV capture works fine.  DV capture does not work

What model of camcorder is your video coming from?

Canon HV40

If you are getting DV from your camcorder, you must have it set to DV Lock. Is this your intention, or are you trying to capture high-def video?

The HV40 automatically outputs DV when a DV tape is played back.  It cannot upconvert DV to HDV.  Intention is to capture the DV as DV,

Have you ensured that you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

Don't have Quicktime installed as far as I know.  Will check.

Do you get different results if you use the free download HDV Split to capture your video?

I don't have a problem with HDV capture.  Have not tried HDV Split

• 4. Re: Problem capturing DV format using Canon HV40
                AE7U Level 1

After much trial-and-error, the basic solution is that you cannot switch from HDV to DV or vica versa without rebooting your PC to load the appropriate driver.  If you want to record DV, you need to start the Camcorder playback in DV before you reboot, so that Windows can recognize the DV device to load the Windows DV driver (no Canon driver for Vixia HV40 for DV).  In addition, if it does not work initially; open Device Manager and make sure that your IEEE-1394 port is not disabled on Error 43 or something like that.  The Windows / Firewire / Premier Elements make for a very fickle combination and Windows disables the IEEE-1394 port at the slightest hint ot a problem e.g. if you try to switch from HDV to DV on the fly.  If the port is disabled, you need to shutdown the PC and then restart - rebooting will not necessarily restore the port.  Once you have this process sorted out, it actually works quite well.