4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 1:02 PM by the_wine_snob

Noise reduction

garymanilow Level 1

Does Premiere have any features that allows you to possibly reduce background noise in your clips?

• 1. Re: Noise reduction
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes. And no.

It includes audio hardware for compressing, filtering, creating noise gates and adjusting the dynamics of your audio -- just like any professional program. But, if you've just got a lot of noise and you can't hear the person in your video speaking, no software can fix taht. Even the folks in Hollywood have to re-record dialog if there was too much traffic or wind noise on the audio track.

Can you describe more specifically what noise you are trying to remove? A buzz or noise of a certain frequency can sometimes be filtered out -- but if you remove too much, it can leave your main audio sounding tinny and artificial.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Noise reduction
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve is correct in his Yes - No answer.

Much depends on the exact noise, and what part of the Audio Frequency Spectrum, you wish to save.

PrE does have a few operations, but being a video editing program, does not have everything available in a full-featured audio editing program, like Adobe Audition, or the great, free Audacity. Even with those, removing some noise can be nearly impossible.

This article goes into more detail on removing audio noise: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2860521#2860521

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Noise reduction
              garymanilow Level 1

Hey Bill, I'll check that out in full later. I've finally gotten to the sound recording phase of my video apprenticeship. It's mainly just narration. I made sure to buy a camcorder with an audio line in, the only problem was that I didn't test the line in when I bought it and now I discover it doeasn't work. I don't know if I want to look into returning it though because it was like 70% off. I guess I'll just check at the store if there are any options. It picks up lots o' ambient noise and I hate the echoey feel of the voice in it. It's not a huge deal for this project but basically it's time to step it up with audio. What I was thinking was to buy a mic that could be used in the field later which I could plug directly into my PC for the narration of this video. I was wondering if you had any advice or could suggest a good forum for film in general. I am on the "Video Maker" forum, which isn't bad.

• 4. Re: Noise reduction
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Gary,

Audio recording is a bit science, then a bit of an artform.

The choice of mics, their placement, and their mixing and levels fill many books.

As for your mic in, be sure to check out your mic. Some require power, and some cameras do not provide that.

Many mixers will provide that power, so a lot of audio engineers will feed the mic into the mixer, and then the mixer into the camera, or to a separate recorder. There can be a lot of ins-and-outs, when working with audio streams and also the hardware.

Good luck, and hope that you find that all you need is a mixer, or perhaps a power source, but that will depend on your mic.

Hunt