4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 1:11 AM by Michael Gianino

Page Indent problem with TOC entries...

wideEyedPupil Level 1

I have a few TOC entries running to more than one line. I would like the text to be indented from the existing right indent/margin set-up so that the text does not extend as far as the Page numbers on the right hand margin of the TOC text frame. I have set a right tab so that the page numbers are tabbed over to the right edge of the frame but if I bring the right margin in with more indenting (presently 5mm), I can't have a tab stop for the page outside the right margin.

And if I insert soft-returns/new-line chars they wil get lost every time I rebuild the TOC (there will be a lot of that!)

Any ideas, Im sure this comes up for book designers all the time.

• 1. Re: Page Indent problem with TOC entries...
          wideEyedPupil Level 1

I think I have half of the fix. The para style was previously set to Justied Left and if  I change a para to Align Left then InDesign seeems to work it out for itself. Problem is when I edit the Style which is assigned to the entries in the TOC Dialogue to Align Left, it is not respected by InDesign and it's sill set to Justified (Left). For that matter I've had trobule getting TOC to observe other Para Style changes I have made as I try and get this working...

Even if I can get InDesign to apply the style correctly and get some Aligned Left text, I wonder if I can control the amount of insert from right for text?

• 2. Re: Page Indent problem with TOC entries...
            Michael Gianino Level 4

The same way you have a left first line indent, there is a right last line indent. You can set the right indent to (for example) two inches, and the last line right indent to negative two inches, and everything on a single line will go all the way to the right edge of the frame, and any paragraph that requires line breaks will break two inches to the left of the frame's right edge, while the last line will go to the right edge.

Screen shot 2013-07-03 at 1.13.28 AM.png

• 3. Re: Page Indent problem with TOC entries...
              wideEyedPupil Level 1

Thanks Michael, will check this out next morning. Sounds good to me. Still not sure why my updated styles are getting ignored by TOC maker. If this is not a known bug then its gotta be me :-)

• 4. Re: Page Indent problem with TOC entries...
                Michael Gianino Level 4

I probably couldn't say without digging into the file itself, and I can't do that at my present job, so all I can ask you to check is whether the text has any local overrides on the styles.