4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2013 7:38 PM by Ajit Dangal

Using CRX as Document Server for PDF and Office Docs

manish28june Level 1

Hi All,

I my organization we have got lots of PDF , Word,PPT and video on stored on CQ server along with webpage. I am suggesting it to store webpages on CQ/AEM server and rest of the documents on CRX server and access those documents via Sling URL’s.

Is anyone foreseeing any risk in this approach or should we store all documents in another AEM server. We just need to use indexing, ACL’s on these documents and my understanding is standalone CRX can do this job .

Thanks,

Manish

• 1. Re: Using CRX as Document Server for PDF and Office Docs
          Ajit Dangal Level 1

Hi Manish,

Not quite sure with your question here; are you creating two separate repositories ?

Do you mean separate CRX and CQ  ? or are you creating two workspaces?

Thanks,

Ajit Dangal

• 2. Re: Using CRX as Document Server for PDF and Office Docs
            manish28june Level 1

Thanks for your response.

Yes i mean separate CRX to store document high level architecture will be as below

I have done the POC all working fine. By moving contents to another CRX server we will significantly reduce completion time of indexing, backup , garbage collector and tar optimization jobs on AEM server as a result we will improve performance and reliability. I am wondering how others companies are managing large CQ repository   in other organization.

CRXAEM.gif

• 3. Re: Using CRX as Document Server for PDF and Office Docs
              gummadala Level 1

We have done Scene7 for one of the biggest retail clients in uk. You will require an additional license for this. Essentially your images are stored in cloud ('scene7'). You release your images to scene7 according to a plan. When your public page loads scripts will pull your images from your cloud provider by providing a client code. You can also get renditions on the fly. If you evaluate this you have everything covered . Other alternatives are other cdn providers like akamai. Renditions on the fly is a winning feature of Scene7.

• 4. Re: Using CRX as Document Server for PDF and Office Docs
                Ajit Dangal Level 1

Some thoughts and pointers :

1) I agree you will see some performance gain however on reliability you need to consider clustering.

2) I would give some consideration to users, ACL, backup and maintenance as we add repositories (Should not be big deal)

3) Consider authoring workflow with synchronization & version (how documents are uploaded on regular basis along with page and templates etc)

4) Development and testing considerations for two repositories.

Thx,

Ajit