Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate layer in Photoshop CC

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

What happened with duplicate layer in Photoshop CC?

In Photoshop CS6 was:

- if select a number of any raster or shape layers and press Cmd-J - those layers are copied and placed on top on layer palette. In history added "Duplicate Layer". It's perfect.

In Photoshop CC is:

- if select a number of any raster  layers and press Cmd-J - those layers are copied and placed on top on layer palette. In history added "Duplicate Layer". It's perfect. BUT!

- if select a number of any shape  layers and press Cmd-J - those layers are COMBINED INTO ONE and placed on top on layer palette as ONE layer. In history added "Shape Layer via Copy". It's bad.

I don't want to get one combined shape layer. I still want to get that number of shape layer copies. Why it combines? Is there any settings to turn this combine off?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...  You are right.  Not exactly a keyboard friendly workaround, but if you select the shape layers and drage to the New Layer icon in the layers panel, it copies each shape layer individually.  Or if you select the layers, right click and chose Duplicate layers it also copies each shape layer individually.  So I am not sure why Ctrl (Cmd) j produces a combined shape layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. And I cannot understand why this keyboard shortcut works good in CS6, and in CC if there're mixed layers (raster+shape, text+shape) but not for shape+shape. The action changes from "Duplicate layer" to "Shape Layer via Copy". Why it happens? Why Adobe got a strange decision to make this? And there're no any options in Keyboard shortcut settings. Yes, I can drag my layers on icon or right-click and select "Duplicate layers", but it's very-very-very unusual. I prefered to work with keyboard shortcuts for a long years and don't like if they're changing in new versions. It's bad way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a hard time with this as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm, I'm not seeing this problem. Are all of you guys updated to the very latest version of Photoshop, CC 2014.2.2? Motion image below:

Duplicate-Shape-Layers.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2015 Jun 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing this either. Are you all updated to the latest version, as Benjamin suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you post a screenshot of for this. what is the version of the Photoshop are you using.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS and PS CC Build are you using?

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2015 Aug 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try Image > Mode > RGB Color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines