4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 6:24 AM by dsol21 Branched to a new discussion.

After Effects CC Multiprocessor rendering borked?

dsol21 Level 1

System: Mac Pro (3,1 early 2008), 20GB RAM, GTX6802GB -  OSX10.8.4

Hi. I've been working on a new project which I've started in AE CC. It all was working great at first, but in the last few days I've noticed that final rendering (using Multiprocessor rendering turned on) is getting slower and slower -  to the point where when I click on render, it takes 20 minutes to initialise - then doesn't even seem to use the render nodes that are spawned (activity monitor shows virtually no CPU usage from them). What's more, when it finishes rendering a scene, it throws up this weird error message:

AfterEffectsCC_renderError.png

Which can't be good - though the rendered quicktime is OK! The same scene backported to AECS6 renders with multiprocessing just fine. Has anyone else had similar issues? I'll have to switch back to CS6 until I know what this issue is.

• 1. Re: After Effects CC Multiprocessor rendering borked?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first thing to try is to turn multi processing off or try rendering to an image sequence instead of a movie.

The second thing to do is to give us details about your project. What codec? Many are not working with MP on.

• 2. Re: After Effects CC Multiprocessor rendering borked?
            dsol21 Level 1

It renders OK with multiprocessing turned off. It's rendering to a ProRes422HQ Quicktime movie. It works perfectly well under CS6, with identical node settings (3GB per node, 3 nodes, 6GB free). Is there any other information I can provide?

Rendering to image sequences is something I try to strenuously avoid. I'll try and do a test with it later though, and see if it still brings up the same error message (and/or slow renders)

• 3. Re: After Effects CC Multiprocessor rendering borked?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ProRez is not MP compatible but it seemed to slide by with CS6 most of the time. Even though QuickTime hasn't been updated for a long time there is an update for ProRez on the Apple site. Have you tried the update? I have not tried a MP render to ProRez for a long time because about 90% of my projects do not use MP compatible plug-ins and MP rendering kills the render times.

• 4. Re: After Effects CC Multiprocessor rendering borked?
                dsol21 Level 1

I'll try rendering to a different codec later. CS6 works fine with ProRes - always has done. I'm running the latest version of the codec too (installed with the FCPX updates). I can understand why there might be issues with codecs that use interframe compression (Like h264), but ProRes uses I-Frames only.

Although Quicktime hasn't seen a lot of love from Apple recently, they are still upgrading the codecs - and it is the default transcoding option for FCPX too!