12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2013 7:13 AM by A.T. Romano

Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10

Vid_2011

Hello,

I wonder if someone could help. I've been recording narration on videos using PreEl10 for a while now, with no problems. I always make sure audio hardware preferences are set etc. I recently upgraded my OS to windows 8. Is there a setting i should look at becasue of this?

I've seen a similar comment to this, where someone had this issue with PreEl8 and resolved it by moving the workspace bar at above the timeline. I tried this, but continued to have the same problem.

Thanks!

Nadine.

• 1. Re: Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you seeing your voice registered on Narration panel's VU meter while you're recording?

If not, it could be a matter of ensuring you've got your microphone configured properly in Windows as well as in Premiere Elements ASIO Settings.

• 2. Re: Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10
            Vid_2011 Level 1

Yes, it registers on the VU meter. As I talk it goes up and down reflecting the level of my voice. I was able to record my voice in the Windows sound recorder okay, and I made sure I selected my microphone in the ASIO settings. I hit record and speak into the mike, the level meter shows it's reciving sound, but for some reason when I stop recording no clip is placed in the Narration timeline.

• 3. Re: Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10
              Vid_2011 Level 1

Okay, I had the idea to try and record in a new project, so I opened a brand new project, changed nothing and recorded a narration test. The narration clip inserted itself into the timeline perfectly!?!? The finished project I'm trying to add narration to must have a setting that I'm missing and need to fix, but I'm not sure what that could be. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nadine.

• 4. Re: Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Nadine,

Obviously not a FIX, to get your Project off hold, you might use a slightly different workflow - per your last post, record your narration in that New Project, then Export/Share/Publish just that Audio to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, to be Imported into the "problem" Project.

I often do similar, where I use Adobe Audition (could use the free Audacity too) for my VO (Voice Over), then Save that audio file with the specs. above, for Import into Premiere.

That might get your Project complete, while you troubleshoot what is wrong with it, regarding the recording of the narration.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10
                  Vid_2011 Level 1

Great idea! I really want to get this project finished, so that's exactly what I’m going to do. Thanks Hunt!!

If anyone knows of a setting that I may have inadvertently changed in this project, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Nadine.

• 6. Re: Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Nadine,

My first thought was the WAB (Work Area Bar - the gray "brackets," that define the area of the Timeline, that is being edited/shared, etc.), but it appears that you have already investigated that, and ruled out the WAB, as being a cause.

Otherwise, pointing to the desired Destination Audio Track (I like a blank "regular Audio Track," like Audio 2, or 3 vs the obvious Narration Track, as it has been known to give users problems, under certain circumstances), should allow for recording of VO/narration.

Now, as mentioned above, I use an Audio editing program, rather than Premiere, so I am certainly not an expert in recording narration from within the program. Steve G, and others, do that far more than I, and I would hope that they have some other things for you to check out.

Good luck with the Project, and I do hope that you can get it "out the door." Then, maybe others will have some tips, or suggestions for you.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

To make sure that you did look closely at the WAB, see this image:

PrE11_WAB_01.png

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I have Premiere Elemens 10 on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8 64 bit.

Whether I place the Timeline Indicator to the left or right beyond the Work Bar Area gray tabs that span the Timeline content and use the Premiere Elements 10 narration feature, I get a narration clip with no problem.

So if Nadine has the reference that suggested to her that this was a consideration at all, it would be good to know the link for that so we can check out the details specific to that particular situation.

From what I have understood so far in this thread, Nadine has not found that re-setting of the Work Area Bar tabs to be an answer to her original issue which would confirm by observations on this type of matter.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10
                          Vid_2011 Level 1

Hello,

No, re-setting the Work Area Bar tabs did not work for me. Here's the link to the post where I got that suggestion http://forums.adobe.com/message/4371638#4371638.

I haven't found a solution as to why this project will not allow recorded narration, so I'm doing as Hunt suggested and recording using a 3rd party program. I would love to find the solution, in case this problem comes up again.

Thanks!

Nadine.

• 10. Re: Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Nadine

Thanks for the follow up and giving us the location of the thread which referenced the gray tabs of Work Area Bar in context with the narration issue. The SG generalization in that thread

And, as youv'e seen, some things (like narration) won't apply outside the Work Area.

cannot be supported. I have looked at this issue in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 (version used in the thread that you cited) and 11 (Windows 7 64 bit) and can easily create a narration file in either program wherever the Timeline Indicator is placed

a. to the left beyond the left gray tab of the Work Area Bar

b. within the span of the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar

c. to the right beyond the right gray tab of the Work Area Bar

Have not done an extensive exploration of other scenarios. But, you seemed to have confirmed what I have found in your own Premiere Elements computer setup.

Out of all the projects that you have done, how many times have you run into the issue that you presented in this thread? Since you found that going to a new project remedied the situation for you (and if this is the first time the issue has occurred), you might want to continue using Premiere Elements narration feature until you find it does not work for you on a consistent basis. Ultimately you need to go with what works for you.

Thanks. Appreciated the follow up.

ATR

• 11. Re: Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10
                              Vid_2011 Level 1

Hello,

As I was editing my imported sound file, I stumbled across the reason for my not being able to apply narration. I think I may have misunderstood the for mentioned poster's solution. There is a 'handle' in the same area as the work area brackets (I'm not sure of the correct terminology). When pulled it highlights the timeline in grey (see circle in screen shot below).

printScreenOfNarrationProbl.gif

Before pulling this 'handle', the work area was a dark grey (see yellow arrow in screen shot below). When I pulled it over to the left, the area became a highlighted light gray (blue arrow). I can am only able to add narration to the area that falls under the light grey section.

printScr2NarrationProbl.gif

I hope this makes sense. I must have dragged it unknowingly when trying to move the work area bar brackets.

Thanks all!!

Nadine.

• 12. Re: Narration doesn't show in the timeline PrEL10
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Nadine

Thanks for the follow up with details.

I cannot confirm your screenshots and results.

But, if you have found a workaround for the type of situation shown and you can move forward in your project, that is great.

I will think abou this some more to see if I can figure out how that TImeline configuration came into being.

ATR