22 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2018 12:17 PM by AnandSri

After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working

JohnSmith1957 Level 1

I'm using Acrobat X Pro to do scanning from a Canon ImageCLASS MF4370dn multifunction machine using a Windows 7 64-bit computer. I've tried installing Acrobat on two different computers, and get the same problem. That is, I can scan for a while, but then get an error message "Adobe Acrobat has stopped working." Then Windows closes the program. If I reinstall Acrobat, I can use it for a while again, but will soon have the same problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I cannot use Acrobat at all for scanning, and desperately need to. 

• 1. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
          PHMD Level 1

Hi,

Can you let me know the updated version of Acrobat installed in your computer?
              Are you using TWAIN or WIA driver to scan files to PDF?
              Can you provide me the complete error report from Event Viewer?

• 2. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
            JohnSmith1957 Level 1

Thank you for your questions. I have Acrobat 10.1.7 installed. I am using Canon's Color Network ScanGear 2.71, which uses a TWAIN driver. I'm not sure how to get a complete error report from Event Viewer. I'll try to figure out how and provide that to you.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
              JohnSmith1957 Level 1

Here's what I found in Event Viewer:

Event 1000, Application Error:

Faulting application name: Acrobat.exe, version: 10.1.7.27, time stamp: 0x518c95a8

Faulting module name: ACE.dll, version: 2.17.17.1, time stamp: 0x4cc5f80d

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00003880

Faulting process id: 0x13e8

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce7e0484720d74

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\ACE.dll

Report Id: dd029849-e9f7-11e2-a4a3-f46d0436b4e1

Event 1001, Windows Error Reporting:

Fault bucket 3587333841, type 1

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: http://oca.microsoft.com/resredir.aspx?SID=5044&iBucketTable=1&iBucket=-707633455&BucketHa sh=9b26a6e3167b687a29a1059e546d5f13

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: Acrobat.exe

P2: 10.1.7.27

P3: 518c95a8

P4: ACE.dll

P5: 2.17.17.1

P6: 4cc5f80d

P7: c0000005

P8: 00003880

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\Kenneth\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7B5C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\Users\Kenneth\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Acrobat.exe_db 68854cd4dd6f832d28ea6f41261dc40c8a89e_09d89fcd

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: dd029849-e9f7-11e2-a4a3-f46d0436b4e1

Report Status: 0

• 4. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                PHMD Level 1

Thank you for the information.

Please navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\ACE.dll and then move ACE.dll file to desktop and repair Acrobat X Pro from control panel. Then try to scan files to PDF. If the issue persists try to update the scanner drivers and then scan the files to PDF.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                  JohnSmith1957 Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion. I did as you said and have been able to scan without any problem. I did not have to do the last step of updating the scanner drivers.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

• 6. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                    PHMD Level 1

I am glad to hear that however let me know if you have any issues while scanning files to PDF after checking multiple times.

• 7. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                      JF61Mos Level 1

Not sure if you are still following this post.  I have experienced almost identical issues over the last week.  I have uninstalled Acrobat X Professional and then reinstalled.  Reinstalled driver for my Epson Perfection 3490 scanner. Followed the advice above in removing the ACE.dll file.  I am still experiencing issues with Acrobat attempting to scan pages but it appears to fail when transferring the data to the image.  I had an idea at one stage that unselecting OCR seemed to resolved the issue but I managed to scan three A4 grayscale pages into a pdf then the issue struck again.

Wondering if you have any answers?  It is strange that this issue seems to have only appeared in the last month.  Until then the same PC and software would happily scan and compile pdfs.

• 8. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                        PHMD Level 1

Are you able to scan files using other Applications?

• 9. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                          JF61Mos Level 1

Hi PHMD,

Yes I am able to scan to other Apps.  I think that I have narrowed the issue down to some issue with the OCR processing as the image is processed.  If I turn the OCR off in configure presets then the image appears to transfer across with out any problems.  The issue occurs most frequently when trying to add scanned pages into a document greater than 100 pages.  Since I very rarely use OCR I can live without having the documents made OCR compliant.

Still would be nice to know what the issue was.

• 10. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                            Varinder.Saini Adobe Employee

Please share the crash dump with me so that we can analyse the issue. You can generate the crash dump again using following steps:

1. Create c:\temp\

2. Download and extract http://download.sysinternals.com/files/Procdump.zip into c:\temp.

3. Make sure no Acrobat instances are already running -- check via Task Manager.

4. Launch Acrobat -> Acrobat.exe should be running and there should be only 1 instance of this process.

5. Launch CMD prompt and type "cd c:\temp\procdump"

6. On the command-prompt type: "procdump -e -ma Acrobat.exe c:\temp\01.dmp". Procdump will now wait for the crash to happen.

7. Perform the actions in Acrobat that cause it to crash.

8. Once the Acrobat crashes, Procdump will create dump at c:\temp\01.dmp.

Thanks,

Varinder

• 11. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                              OswaldoB Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am very interesting to fix this problem... I have the  problem in all the desktop and laptops here at School, the students and teachers use it all the time.

I have the dump file. I wondering how to send it to you?

I cmd message below:

Exception monitor:     Unhandled

Exception filter:      *

Terminate monitor:     Disabled

Dump file:             c:\temp\01_YYMMDD_HHMMSS.dmp

Press Ctrl-C to end monitoring without terminating th

[09:25:31] Exception: 000006C6

[09:25:32] Exception: E06D7363.?AVruntime_error@std@@

[09:25:41] Exception: E06D7363.?AVACEException@@

[09:31:13] Exception: E06D7363.?AVruntime_error@std@@

[09:31:14] Exception: E06D7363.?AVruntime_error@std@@

[09:31:14] Exception: E06D7363.?AVruntime_error@std@@

[09:31:14] Exception: C0000005.ACCESS_VIOLATION

[09:31:29] Exception: C0000005.ACCESS_VIOLATION

[09:31:29] Unhandled: C0000005.ACCESS_VIOLATION

Unhandled Exception.

Writing dump file c:\temp\01_140422_093129.dmp ...

Writing 174MB. Estimated time (less than) 5 seconds.

Dump written.

The process has exited.

Thanks in advance.

• 12. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                                Varinder.Saini Adobe Employee

I have sent you a private message regarding how you can share the dump with me.

Thanks

Varinder

• 13. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                                  Katia ES Level 1

Dear all,

This looks like a place where I can have some help, as my case seems to be very similar.

I use Xerox WorkCentre 3119 with Windows 7 32.

Scanner works fine with other applications, but when attempting to scan with Adobe Acrobat X pro it stops with 'Adobe Acrobat has stopped working' error.

I can scan in Adobe if I change input into 'WIA-Xerox....', but then I am left with very limited scanning options and functions. So the problem appears to be related to the TWAIN drivers, whatever it means.

Here what the Event Viewer reports (I hope that is meaningful to someone here):

Description:

Faulting application name: Acrobat.exe, version: 10.1.9.22, time stamp: 0x52b1d7e3

Faulting module name: kernel32.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x531599f5

Exception code: 0xc00000fd

Fault offset: 0x0004ccd4

Faulting process id: 0xbe0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf6965fb3afed2

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll

Report Id: 62a2a980-d559-11e3-aee2-001f297dceba

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-05-06T20:02:44.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>5368</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Wojtek-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Acrobat.exe</Data>

<Data>10.1.9.22</Data>

<Data>52b1d7e3</Data>

<Data>kernel32.dll</Data>

<Data>6.1.7601.18409</Data>

<Data>531599f5</Data>

<Data>c00000fd</Data>

<Data>0004ccd4</Data>

<Data>be0</Data>

<Data>01cf6965fb3afed2</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll</Data>

<Data>62a2a980-d559-11e3-aee2-001f297dceba</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

I would appreciate assistance very much.

Kate

• 14. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                                    bastow772 Level 1

I am having the same problem.  I am scanning to a PDF file using Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.09 from either a Brother MFC-8480DN or HP Photosmart C4385 scanner and get a message: "Acrobat has stopped working".  I am running OS Windows 7, 64bit.  I previously had Acrobat Pro 9 and it worked great.  I have not been able to get this new version of Acrobat Pro to work.  I can open PDF documents, but the scanning is not working.

• 15. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                                      bastow772 Level 1

I give up on Acrobat Pro XI.  I am reverting to Acrobat Pro 9.  At least it works.  I don't need a fancy new skin.

• 16. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                                        bastow772 Level 1

And the only good way to find anything on this forum is through an internet search it seems.  It is as clunky as most forums are.

• 17. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                                          setnahkt Level 1

I have the same problem. Windows 7 Pro, Acrobat X Pro. HP 5590. TWAIN driver..

Only happens with grayscale; the same pages will scan in color or b&w successfully.

Although it happens more most of the time, it's intermittent; now and then a grayscale page that failed before will scan if tried again.
                                          Only happens if OCR is on; grayscale pages that crashed will scan successfully if you turn OCR off.

You can scan grayscale pages with OCR off then use the "Recognize Text" tool afterwards with no problems.

• 18. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                                            newcreationre Level 1

Acrobat X Pro only crashed during the second page scan.  After some testing I found that the problem occured only when I ran OCR on the grayscale scan.  A single page grayscale worked fine if I quit the program and restarted.  That's not a problem for me since I don't need to OCR any pictures so it fixes the problem for me.  The Autodetect and Black and White Document settings, multiple scans work fine including OCR.

• 19. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                                              Buzz81 Level 1

This has been a recurring problem for me.  I'm on Windows 10 using Acrobat Pro DC.  It crashed today while scanning the first page of a document in grayscale (OCR not turned on).  I am scanning to a Brother MFC-J6710DW.   Here is the crash report:

Faulting application name: Acrobat.exe, version: 18.9.20050.57426, time stamp: 0x5a1c7469

Faulting module name: Acrobat.dll, version: 18.9.20050.57426, time stamp: 0x5a1c7441

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x007962bc

Faulting process id: 0x23f4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d3a121e67b2418

Faulting application path: D:\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Faulting module path: D:\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.dll

Report Id: a312a0cd-4c01-48ed-86ea-286a91f1bbb0

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Suggestions?  This is very annoying.

• 20. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                                                Lovekesh Garg Adobe Employee

Are you facing this issue frequently or it happened only once. Please share the complete crash logs if it crash again.

To create crash logs please follow these steps.

1. Retry the scenario where Acrobat crashes
                                                2. Do not close the pop-up when Acrobat crash
                                                3. Open Task manager
                                                4. Right click on “Acrobat.exe *32” process and select ‘Create Dump file’
                                                5. It will create a log file in temp folder. (Path will be displayed on pop-up comes when logs created). You can also check this under

• Open Run process (Win+R)
                                                  • Type %temp%
                                                  • Logs file will be available here with name "Acrobat.DMP" or "Acrobat(n).DMP" if there are other Acrobat dumps exist.

Please follow the steps to share the file using Adobe send:

1. Launch your Application
                                                2. Switch to Toll Center view and Open Send & Track
                                                3. Click on “Select Files to Send”
                                                4. A dialog will open from where you can choose the file/s you want to share
                                                5. The workflow page will appear with the file/s to be shared prepopulated
                                                6. Click on Create Link
                                                7. Your Local files will be uploaded to the Document Cloud and a Public Link will be generated
                                                8. Share the link with us to send us the Crash dumps

Thanks.

• 21. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                                                  AFMC Phil Level 1

Same issue. I can usually fix the issue temporarily by reinstalling Acrobat or the scanner drivers, but it comes back within a couple of days. It only seems to happen when I choose Create PDF>Scanner and then scan using Adobe's interface. If I select "Show scanner's user interface" in custom settings, then it hasn't crashed.

I can scan in other applications then open the pdf in Acrobat without issues.

Crash dump file Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Acrobat DC Version 2018.011.20038

Windows 7 Pro

Scanner Brother ADS-1000w with most recent TWAIN drivers installed.

• 22. Re: After scanning for a while, Acrobat stops working
                                                    AnandSri Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hello AFMCPhil,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. We have sent you an email, please check your email inbox.

Regards,

Anand Sri.