6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 3:46 AM by will.reeves

CS4 AE - Re-Render Composition?

mtruly Level 1

Is there a way to re-render a comp in the Render Queue that was previously rendered?  If not, do the later versions of AE allow this?

Is there a way to have the Output Module always default to what the user wants instead of always switching to 'Lossless'?

• 1. Re: CS4 AE - Re-Render Composition?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

"Is there a way to re-render a comp in the Render Queue that was previously rendered?"

I always save my project BEFORE I render, and when the render's done I hit Revert.  If there's a problem, I make the change and the comp is already in the render queue, ready to go.

Is there a way to have the Output Module always default to what the user wants instead of always switching to 'Lossless'?

Sure: make your own custom output module, and make it the default.

• 2. Re: CS4 AE - Re-Render Composition?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There's information on specifying a default output module template in After Effects Help, here.

The easiest way to re-do a render is to duplicate the render item in the Render Queue panel. Information on that is on the same page of After Effects Help.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CS4 AE - Re-Render Composition?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Select the item in the Render Queue and hit Cmnd/Ctrl-Shift-D.  This will duplicate the Render Queue item and assign the same output name as the original.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CS4 AE - Re-Render Composition?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's important to remember that the render cue renders the current state of a composition. Once you close AE, unless you have set up versioning, the changes are baked in and cannot be undone.

• 5. Re: CS4 AE - Re-Render Composition?
                  mtruly Level 1

Thanks to all for the tips!!  Greatly appreciated.

• 6. Re: CS4 AE - Re-Render Composition?
                    will.reeves

Surely the easiest way of doing this would actually be:

• when you create a new render item it has a "render" checkbox set to ticked
                    • when render is complete the checkbox remains but is automatically deselected (rather than mysteriously going missing as it does now)
                    • if you manually recheck the box the status changes form "done" to "Queued"

This would seem logical since if you had a number of sequences that all need to be re encoded in light of a programmatic change, you could select all items in the render queue, right click and set "queue all" (or alternativly click a checkbox in the "Render column" to select all" and then press "Render".

Duplicating and then deleting just seems messy, requires more clicks/key presses, and is not very convenient especially if you have a long render queue list.