10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2013 8:08 AM by boyboytse

Photoshop CS 3 camera raw update

boyboytse

Using CS6.  But after devativating my old CS3 and reinstall it on another computor, cannot get any update.  I understand there will be no updates for older versions of Photoshop, but how can I get back the last version of Camera Raw that was available to CS 3.  The Camera Raw version is 4.0, and before uninstalling it was a much higher version.   Thanks!

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS 3 camera raw update
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Download it from http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/ and change the dropdown list at the top to Camera Raw for your platform, click Go, and choose the right version for your CS3.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS 3 camera raw update
            boyboytse Level 1

Dowloaded version 4.3.1 but cannot open the programme, even after un-zipping.  The file type is 8BI.  My computor uses Window 7 64 bits.  It this the problem?  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS 3 camera raw update
              Level 5

After downloading the file did you actually install it according to the instructions?

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS 3 camera raw update
                Level 5

By the way, there's no reason on Earth why you should be downloading and attempting to install an obsolete version of ACR like version 4.3.1.

For CS3 you should be running ACR 4.6, which is the last one to run with CS3. Once a camera model is supported by a given ACR release, that camera model will be supported in all subsequent versions of ACR. 

Each new release always contains unannounced and unheralded bug fixes and improvements over the previous one.  So you definitely want ACR 4.6.

Here's the download page for ACR 4.6 for Windows, read the installation instructions in full and follow them to the letter:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4040

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS 3 camera raw update
                  boyboytse Level 1

After unzipping the download Camera Raw, it was required to store it(I store it to my diocument file).  There is no exe or install instruction available, just OPEN.  Clicking it started  PS CS3, and a window shows "cannot complete your request because it is not the right kind of document".

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS 3 camera raw update
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You cannot store the camera raw plug-in in your documents folder. If you go back to the website where you downloaded from, there is a readme file that contains the instructions, including the folder/path where you need to put the file. If you put camera raw where that instruction tells you to, then it should work normally. Put camera raw in that specific folder and ONLY in that folder.

• 7. Re: Photoshop CS 3 camera raw update
                      boyboytse Level 1

Readme says " move the orginal camera raw plug-in to another place..".but there was no camera raw plug- in  in the file(common files>Adobe>plug-ins,  but without the word  CS3).  I store the unzipped camera raw to it any way, and started Bridge , but the camera raw is still 4.0.  Have I missed out something? 

• 8. Re: Photoshop CS 3 camera raw update
                        Level 5

Yes, you DID NOT read the instructions carefully like I admonished you to do.
                        I even gave you the specific link to the ACR 4.6 download for Windows where the instructions are:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4040

I will now paste the installation instructions from that page below.  Please do not bother to respond or otherwise post at all unless and until you read these instructions carefully and follow them to the letter:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Installation Instructions

After downloading a ".zip" file, use the operating system or a utility such as WinZip or PKZIP to access the file's contents.

Manual installation on Windows®:

1. Exit Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Bridge.

2. Open My Computer.

3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).

4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.

6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.

7. Launch Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Bridge.

Again, here's the correct directory path, now in maroon type:

C: Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

DO NOT look at the Plug-ins folder (directory) inside the Photoshop folder (directory). 

• 9. Re: Photoshop CS 3 camera raw update
                          Level 5

DO NOT BE CONFUSED by # 5 in those instructions:

… 5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location…

That "existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in" in that instruction refers to the OLD, obsolete Camera Raw plug-in you're trying to replace, delete, nuke or otherwise trash—not the fresh one you have just downloaded from the Adobe site.

Again, pay attention to the correct installation path:

C: Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

If you don't find the old, obsolete, already existing Camera Raw.8bi file exactly there, that means you are in the wrong directory (folder)

It is that old, obsolete, already existing Camera Raw.8bi, which you are instructed to move to another folder, not the freshly downloaded new one.  Personally, I would just move it to the Recycle Bin and empty said recycle bin.  You already know that old version does you no good whatsoever.

• 10. Re: Photoshop CS 3 camera raw update
                            boyboytse Level 1

Have removed  CS3 and then re- install it.  Found it in Program files(x86)!!  Every things are settled.  Thanks  a lot