4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2013 1:12 AM by Gavin1985

Page Number of a Search Result

Can someone please help me with a problem that has got me pulling my hair out at the moment. I've Googled extensively, and had no joy. My Indesign Scripting experience is fairly low, but I spend a lot of time in VBA and PHP so coding and objects are not alien to me.

I am modyfing this existing (and excellent) script to cover my needs.I need to search for each instance of a particular paragraph style, then use the text and page number to build a contents page later on. The original script acheived this via an index, however that is not convinient for me in this case as I need to do more modification first.

I have succesfully converted the original script to search for all text that has a particular paragraph style on it. I am then succsefully grabbing the text. What I just can't seem to do, is grab the page number from the search result. I understand that I probably need to look at the tags parent page, but I can't see how. If it is of any help, the paragraph style is likely to be nested within two or three anchored tags in a text box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

// JavaScript Document

Based on "Marking up index words from character style" by Josha Hubbers which was based on the script "Marking up index words from Color" by Thomas Silkjær

var result_words_found = 0;

var curr_document = 0;

var my_document = app.documents.item(curr_document);

// Create a list of swatches

//var list_of_paraStyles = my_document.paragraphStyles.everyItem().name;

var list_of_paraStyles = my_document.paragraphStyleGroups.item("Book").paragraphStyles.everyItem().name;

//var list_of_paraStyles = my_document.ParagraphStyleGroup.allParagraphStyles()

var yesNoDialog=["Yes","No"];

// Make dialog box for selecting the char style to index

var paraStyle_dialog = app.dialogs.add({name:"Generate index from Paragraph style"});

with(paraStyle_dialog.dialogColumns.add()) {

with(borderPanels.add()) {

with(dialogRows.add()) {

with(dialogColumns.add()) {

staticTexts.add({staticLabel:"Choose paragraph style:"});

var selected_paraStyle = dropdowns.add({stringList:list_of_paraStyles, selectedIndex:0});

with(dialogRows.add()) {

staticTexts.add({staticLabel:"Search all open documents:"});

var selected_search_span = dropdowns.add({stringList:yesNoDialog, selectedIndex:1});

// catch the cancel button

var doSearch = paraStyle_dialog.show();

// if selected_search_span.selectedIndex == 0 then search "all documents".

// else only search active document.

// active document is item 0 in the app.documents.item array

if (doSearch) {

// Set find text options to find all words with the selected character style

app.findChangeTextOptions.caseSensitive = false;

app.findChangeTextOptions.wholeWord = false;

app.findChangeTextOptions.includeFootnotes = false;

app.findChangeTextOptions.includeHiddenLayers = false;

app.findChangeTextOptions.includeLockedLayersForFind = false;

app.findChangeTextOptions.includeLockedStoriesForFind = false;

app.findChangeTextOptions.includeMasterPages = false;

app.findTextPreferences = NothingEnum.nothing;

app.findTextPreferences.appliedParagraphStyle = my_document.paragraphStyleGroups.item("Book").paragraphStyles.item(selected_paraStyle.sel ectedIndex);

// loop through the open documents to index them all...

do {

my_document = app.documents.item(curr_document);

// Search the document

var found_words =  my_document.findText();

// Make index

var my_contents

// check if words are found

if (found_words.length > 0){

// Loop through the paragraphs, create a list of words and mark them as index words

myCounter = found_words.length-1;

do {

var found_word = found_words[myCounter];

var my_topic_name = found_word.contents;

// check if topic is not empty

if (my_topic_name.length > 1){

// items are found

result_words_found += 1;

// Need to grab the page number as a variable here.

// Create the page reference

//                                                  my_topic.pageReferences.add(found_word);

} while (myCounter >= 0);

// remove unused topics from the index, just for cleanup

// break if only current document is search scope

if (selected_search_span.selectedIndex == 1){

curr_document += 1;

} while (curr_document < app.documents.count());

// display result dialog...

if (result_words_found == 0){

// alert nothing found

alert("Nothing was found, try again...");

alert("Done indexing!\n"+result_words_found+" items found.\n\nNow choose \"Generate index\" in the Index panel to update your index.");

• 1. Re: Page Number of a Search Result
          Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The number of the page on which some text sits is the name of the text's parent text frame's parent page (if you see what I mean):

var found_words =  my_document.findText();

$.writeln (found_words[0].parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.name);

That's CS5 and later. In CS4 it's slightly different, I forget the details.

• 2. Re: Page Number of a Search Result
            Gavin1985 Level 1

Thats perfect, thanks Peter. For some reason my counter isn't working properly to get the correct page number for each line, but I should be able to nail that one myself.

• 3. Re: Page Number of a Search Result
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Gavin – instead of the name property (which value might not be unique ! ), you could use the zero-based documentOffset property together with parentPage…

$.writeln (found_words[0].parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.documentOffset);

There are also "special cases", where, geometrically spoken, you'll get the wrong page:

1. A table exceeds a page in double sided document:

2. Or here a text frame with its center on page 3:

If you want the geometrical position of your text, you have to refine your method ;-)

3. Also choose your sample of text wisely.

A word could always have more than just one parent text frames ( a hyphenated word over one or more threaded text frames ).

Also consider text on paths…

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Page Number of a Search Result
                Gavin1985 Level 1

Thanks for that Laubender.

I am creating my pages via a very strict template with only limited choices in this case, so it shouldn't be a problem. But i can forsee more and more projects like this one for me over the next year, so I will lodge this in the memory banks for the future.