13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2007 5:32 PM by McFazstp

Intel Mac Projector issues

korkster911
      So I've developed a little CD for a client. Was meant to be Mac/PC compatible. Works perfectly on a PC, works perfectly on a PowerPC Mac Mini running OSX 10.4.

But what about the Intel Macs? The projector shows up as a "document" as a filetype. It won't launch when it's doubleclicked. Tries to open it with another application... Spent hours trying to figure it out only to have to recreate the whole damn thing in HTML for Intel Mac users! Tight deadline and needed to be done.

So what gives? Why would my projector work on PC/PowerPC mac but not Intel? I thought Rosetta was supposed to handle this type of thing?

Macs piss me off. Flavor of the month means they make it difficult for publishers and users alike.
        • 1. Re: Intel Mac Projector issues
          Level 7
          korkster911 wrote:
          > So I've developed an little CD for a client. Was meant to be Mac/PC
          > compatible. Works perfectly on a PC, works perfectly on a PowerPC
          > Mac Mini running OSX 10.4.
          >
          > But what about the Intel Macs? The projector shows up as a
          > "document" as a filetype. It won't launch when it's doubleclicked.
          > Tries to open it with another application... Spent hours trying to
          > figure it out only to have to recreate the whole damn thing in HTML
          > for Intel Mac users!

It would be better if the SW player didn't need
          can't-be-bothered-for-average-end-user manipulation to make it work on an
          Intel Mac :-( I'm sure they're working on it.

> So what gives? Why would my projector work on PC/PowerPC mac but not
          > Intel?
          > I thought Rosetta was supposed to handle with type of thing?
          >
          > Macs piss me off. Flavour of the month means they make it difficult
          > for publishers and users alike.

Have you tried getting the file info for the projector and telling it to run
          under Rosetta? Errr - if it won't see it as an app it probably won't let you
          do that.

However, how you persuade OSX to recognise it as an app is another matter. I
          suppose you could try using chmod 777 on it, and see if the Finder gets the
          hint.

Andrew

• 2. Re: Intel Mac Projector issues
            Level 7
            Andrew Morton wrote:
            > korkster911 wrote:
            >> So I've developed an little CD for a client. Was meant to be Mac/PC
            >> compatible. Works perfectly on a PC, works perfectly on a PowerPC
            >> Mac Mini running OSX 10.4.
            >>
            >> But what about the Intel Macs? The projector shows up as a
            >> "document" as a filetype. It won't launch when it's doubleclicked.
            >> Tries to open it with another application...

Oh, hang on, are you sure the file wasn't damaged? Can you copy it straight
            from a PPC Mac to an Intel Mac and see if it remains an application?

Andrew

• 3. Re: Intel Mac Projector issues
              korkster911 Level 1
              Hi Andrew, it does not remain as an application. The client tried the file using a PowerPC in the lobby of his Hotel room. Worked perfectly, on his Intel Macbook Pro, nothing.

Tried following the instructions at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303120

1. Click the application's icon in the Finder, such as Safari's icon.
              2. From the Finder File menu, choose Get Info (or press Command-I).
              3. Select the checkbox named "Open using Rosetta."
              4. Close the Get Info window.

Funny part is that "Select the checkbox named "Open using Rosetta." is not even a provided option for him.
              • 4. Re: Intel Mac Projector issues
                Level 7
                korkster911 wrote:
                > Hi Andrew, it does not remain as an application. The client tried
                > the file using a PowerPC in the lobby of his Hotel room. Worked
                > perfectly, on his Intel Macbook Pro, nothing.
                >
                > Tried following the instructions at
                > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303120
                >
                > 1. Click the application's icon in the Finder, such as Safari's
                > icon.
                > 2. From the Finder File menu, choose Get Info (or press Command-I).
                > 3. Select the checkbox named "Open using Rosetta."
                > 4. Close the Get Info window.
                >
                > Funny part is that "Select the checkbox named "Open using Rosetta."
                > is not even a provided option for him.

That'll be because it doesn't think it's an application, so it doesn't give
                you that option. If you get the file info and tell it to show the filename
                extension, is it .app or .pkg or...?

What version of Director are you using? Did the projector run in Classic on
                the PPC Macs?

Andrew

• 5. Re: Intel Mac Projector issues
                  korkster911 Level 1
                  Actually, I tried sending the Client the HQX file directly from Director on the PC. Version is the most recent MX2004 with the latest patch.

The Intel mac saw it as a PowerPC application when uncompressed. When double clicking on it, it tried to open with another application. A helper app.

Didn't try creating a classic projector. Didn't see the need since most are on MacOSX / Intel Macs now.
                  • 6. Re: Intel Mac Projector issues
                    McFazstp Level 1
                    Intel macs don't have classic anyway. Have you tried setting it up as a bundled app? I haven't had any issues running on macs under Intel.
                    • 7. Intel Mac Projector issues
                      artwire
                      <<
                      So what gives? Why would my projector work on PC/PowerPC mac but not Intel? I thought Rosetta was supposed to handle this type of thing?
                      >>

Just curious -- have you tried exporting the Director file as a .dcr shockwave file, rather than a projector? That way you could just drag the .dcr to an open browser window to see if it runs or embed it into a single web page (not recreate the whole program in HTML) and run it from there. The intel mac browser has to be set to rosetta mode (check box in get info) BEFORE the shockwave plug in is installed, and it has to run in rosetta mode while you're viewing the shockwave.

If it works, that would help you determine if there's something in the director file that's not working, or if it's possibly the PROJECTOR application file type/creator that isn't being recognized. I know this is intended to run on a cd, but you could use the .dcr to narrow down the problem.

PS - recognition problem may also have been triggered by the way the client decompressed the hqx - sometimes the applications lose their icons, depending on version of stuffit or ... whatever they are using.

• 8. Re: Intel Mac Projector issues
                        McFazstp Level 1
                        Here's the Adobe link on bundled Director apps

http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_16743
                        • 9. Re: Intel Mac Projector issues
                          rafa@mediatech Level 1
                          I have a "onStartmovieme" that reads:

on startmovie me
                          global gPlatform, gDelimiter
                          if the platform contains "Windows" then
                          gPlatform="win"
                          gDelimiter="\"
                          else if the platform contains "Macintosh" then
                          gPlatform="mac"
                          gDelimiter=":"
                          else
                          gPlatform="none"
                          Gdelimiter="none"
                          end if
                          end

and on the button itself I have:

on mouseUp
                          global gDelimiter
                          myFolderName="document"
                          myPDFName="chr.pdf"
                          myTempPath=_movie.path&myFolderName&gDelimiter&myPDFName
                          baOpenFile (myTempPath,"normal")
                          end
                          • 10. Re: Intel Mac Projector issues
                            rafa@mediatech Level 1
                            I also tried with:

on mouseup me
                            adob= baFindApp( "pdf" )
                            open the moviepath&"document\chr.pdf" with adob
                            end

but it didnt work either
                            • 11. Re: Intel Mac Projector issues
                              rafa@mediatech Level 1
                              Oooops...sorry, posted in the wrong forrum
                              • 12. Re: Intel Mac Projector issues
                                theOrd
                                Was the projector authored on Windows, PPC, or IntelMac?

It might be that projectors created on an IntelMac are compatible everywhere, but Windows and/or PPC authored projectors are incompatible with IntelMac OS X.

Does anyone have all the authoring platforms available to check this out?
                                • 13. Re: Intel Mac Projector issues
                                  McFazstp Level 1
                                  I've published on PPC and run on Intel and Windows without any problems. I've also published on Intel and run on PPC and Windows.