12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2013 6:29 AM by elpjg RSS

Bridge CC cache memory (PC)

elpjg Community Member

In previous version of Bridge it was possible to place the cahe memory on either folder on either hard disk.

In Bridge CC, I can oly place it on the C:user/<user name> folder or subfolder.

Why such a restriction?

I don't want to place this cache on my SSD system but on a raid0.

How to do this?

Thx.

• 1. Re: Bridge CC cache memory (PC)
          Omke Oudeman Community Member

Why such a restriction?

As a Mac user I have to be a bit careful but I'm not aware of any changes in the option to select a custom location of the cache file. It is still possible in the Bridge preferences Cache section.

If the location is not accepted it might me due to system settings (no read/ write or admin permissions) or your RAID 0 set up.

However you should reconsider to prefer a raid 0 system above an SSD. SSD is super fast in both read and write. But I don't know the specs of your raid drives, however if these are HDD I still think the SSD route is the fastest

• 2. Re: Bridge CC cache memory (PC)
            Curt Y Community Member

In past versions you could export cache to folders, but that just made 2 cache locations.  Central cache was still the active cache (preferences/cache), and the exported cache was  supplementary.

• 3. Re: Bridge CC cache memory (PC)

In past versions you could export cache to folders, but that just made 2 cache locations.

You still can do so using menu tools/cache/build and export cache. By default the option to export cache to folders is selected. As long as there is a check mark in front of this option to my knowledge it still creates double cache, one in the central and one in the folder itself.

Again, I'm not aware of any major changes regarding cache management between CS6 and CC. The only difference I can spot is that CC again seems faster and in the cache folder for CS6 / data is a file called 'store' while in CC Data folder is besides this 'store' file also a smaller file called "store-journal' probably the reason for a faster cache experience in Bridge CC?

• 4. Re: Bridge CC cache memory (PC)
                elpjg Community Member

Thx all,

It seems that there is a misunderstanding. I do want to put the cache on a location that is not the default (yep, I know that SSD is faster thean my raid0 ;-)). In CS6 (and previous) Bridge gave me a window wtih choice of "desktop  -bureau in french", "user main folder - Pierre-Julien: it's me" and "Computer -Ordinateur" (sorry I've not an english version to be sure of the names). With CC, I've only the choice between "desktop" and "user main folder": no longer "Computer". That why I can't move  my cache elsewhere.

See the picture below.

Always searching...

Bridge CC and CS6 cache memory.jpg

• 5. Re: Bridge CC cache memory (PC)
                  Curt Y Community Member

What OS?

I don't recognize those window locations.  In Bridge CS6 and below you set the cache location in Edit/preferences/cache.  In that window you can browse to a location for the cache.  THis is central cache and the main cache used you Bridge.

At this same window you also have option to "export cache to folders when possible".  THis gives you a secondary cache and as stated it is in each folder.  Advantages are limited in my opinion.  Disadvantage is you can only purge this cache folder by folder through Tool/cache.

Although I do not have CC and would be very suprised if this has changed.

• 6. Re: Bridge CC cache memory (PC)
                    elpjg Community Member

Hi,

Win 7 64 bits.

The 2 windows come from the same command in CS6 and CC, as you say: edit [on PC] – preferences – cache memory – « emplacement [french] ».

As shown in the pic in my previous post, I have not the same choices in CS6 and in CC : « computer » is not present in the CC window, and it is that my problem.

And once more, it works perfectly right with CS4, CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 on the same computer ;-)

Is there an Adobe man somewhere?

Regards.

• 7. Re: Bridge CC cache memory (PC)
                      Curt Y Community Member

Just users here.

Here is my edit/preferences/cache screen with win 7 on CS6.  As you can see it looks nothing like yours.

bridge pref.JPG

• 8. Re: Bridge CC cache memory (PC)

And once more, it works perfectly right with CS4, CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 on the same computer

Can't check how to correct because I use a Mac but to me it seems you have no admin privileges for Bridge CC.

When I click on the button Choose from the screenshot Curt provided in my Bridge CC I have full options to choose all locations on all my disks like I had in all other versions.

I think Curt can guide you to the correct procedure for checking admin privileges.

• 9. Re: Bridge CC cache memory (PC)
                          elpjg Community Member

@ Kurt: yes you have, just hit the "choose" button

@ Omke: I'm admin by default, but I try your idea to launch Bridge specifying "launch in admin mode" - no change

• 10. Re: Bridge CC cache memory (PC)
                            Curt Y Community Member

Unless you have the screen shots blanked out where it shows white, both of these screens should show your entire computer directory.

Assuming you just did not get a screen grab of the directory and below  (computer) Ordinateur does it  show the rest of the directory in CS6?

Assuming that is a yes what difference do you see in the Folder Panel of CS6 vs CC?  They should be the same.  And if they are the same then it is odd the "choice" in cache does not give you the same directory view.

Respond back and we can take it from there.

• 11. Re: Bridge CC cache memory (PC)
                              elpjg Community Member

Hi all,

Yes in CS6 I get all the content of my computer, I just shrink it for the snapshot.

The content of the both user folder panels (Pierre-Julien) is the same in both versions.

Another strange thing and perhaps a clue: on my laptop, bridge CC 32 bits give me the good window (desktop, user folder, computer). Could the problem exists only with a 64 bits system?

Regards

• 12. Re: Bridge CC cache memory (PC)
                                elpjg Community Member

Hi all,

Since last update of Bridge CC, all is now OK: I get the full view of my computer when I want to move my cache memory elsewhere. Fine!

Regards