8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2013 12:32 PM by Noel Carboni

photoshop cc

hornyoldman27

when opening images in camera raw sometimes the image does not appear but the information does.

• 1. Re: photoshop cc
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Are you talking about opening a RAW file from Bridge?  Or using the Camera RAW filter from inside Photoshop?  If the former, exactly what camera did the RAW files come from?  If it is a very new model, ACR might not support it yet.   Can you describe in more detial what 'information' appears in stead of the image?  (much) Better still, take a screen grab and upload it here.

Also, tell us what operating system you are using.

• 2. Re: photoshop cc
            hornyoldman27 Level 1

I am using a Nikon 7000. I opened a couple of other images from Adobr Gridge with no trouble. But I found what was wrong though. I ran out of ram, and I've been trying for the last couple of hours trying to lower the ram usage on my computer.

If you have any good ideas other than wiping the hard drive clean and starting over, I'd like to hear it.

• 3. Re: photoshop cc

Are you sure you mean RAM and not drive space?  It would help to exactly what operating system you are using?  I am going to assume a version of Windows, but which one?

If it is drive space, load Speccy from here:

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

This will tell you exactly what you have on your drive(s).  If you only have one hard drive, then think about getting second one, and moving things like Documents, Desktop, cache files etc. to the new drive.

If RAM, then look at the right end of the Task bar, to see what is open as a background process.  Also look at Control panel > Programs, to see if you unistall anything. 

This site is about optimising a system for Premeire Pro, but much of it will be relevant

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSF08BCDDB-FCD7-40a2-8290-8872EE725E6B.ht ml

• 4. Re: photoshop cc
                hornyoldman27 Level 1

I have Windows 7 with 2 gig of ram. I have a 1terabite hard drive which isn't half full. I reset Photoshop cc to use 75% of my ram and I'm still having trouble with providing it with enough ram so that it can do it's job. I have Photoshop CS5 and I don't have these troubles with it.

I will look at your Premere Pro and see if it can help me.

• 5. Re: photoshop cc

You need to _lower_ the amount of RAM allocated to Photoshop.  Letting Photoshop swallow up 75% of a mere two Gb could leave Windows struggling.  Remember Photoshop will use Scratch space if it runs out of RAM.  Windows can do a similar thing with its Page File, but by heck, you are pussing your luck with 2Gb.   What motherboard are you using, and how much RAM will it support.  Even if you have to throw away your existing sticks - which is extremely likely - RAM is so cheap right now, so you should get the maximum your system will support.

If you are already maxed out, then have a thorough read of the system optimizing link above, and Google any more you can find, and strip your system down to bare bones.  That especially applies to processes running in the background.  Have a look in Task Manager > Processes, and click first on CPU, to see which one is using the most resources, and then on memory.  I just checkied mine, and iexplore is using a scary 350mb!

• 6. Re: photoshop cc
                    hornyoldman27 Level 1

I made a mistake. I do have 4 gb ram. But somehow today I am showing only about 45% physical memory usage compare to 80% - 90% on July 3.

I know you can cut out processes to reduce memory usage, but I have no idea on what processesw to cut.

I guess I should buy a new motherboard so that I can use windows 7 64 bit and put in all sorts of memory.

• 7. Re: photoshop cc
                      Curt Y Level 7

Yes, with CS6 and above at least 8 gigs of ram and a good graphics card seem essential for smooth operation.

• 8. Re: photoshop cc
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

An image not appearing is sometimes a problem that's solved by installing updated display drivers.  Go to the website of the maker of your video card and download and install the latest release for your hardware and OS.

-Noel