11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2013 9:10 AM by the_wine_snob

PE11 CTI movement does not align with video playback

Genetrump

I'm using   Windows XP Pro system on a PC.   Even when I render the clips,  the CTI moves along the time line but it does not match with the movement of the film clip in the monitor.    This makes it difficult to figure out where I really am in the time line.   Suggestions?

Gene

• 1. Re: PE11 CTI movement does not align with video playback
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Genetrump

Did not we discuss and resolve this type of issue here for you recently?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1233026

Have you tried doing what you did in the above thread in order to solve this problem of today?

Please review and let us know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE11 CTI movement does not align with video playback
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, there seem to be indications that your hardware is not adequate enough to keep up with your video.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Is this video the very first clip on your timeline? This is very important because Premiere Elements 11 uses the first clip to configure the settings for your project.

How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, clean defragmented space is on your computer? Are you on a PC or Mac, and what operating system are you using?

• 3. Re: PE11 CTI movement does not align with video playback
              Genetrump Level 1

Well,  I think I may be under-gunned.   I'm using a JVC CMOS camcorder and I'm not really sure what the format or resolution is for the device.  My computer is an old one and maxed out with RAM at 4mg.   I've tried the USB flash drive bit to help boost the RAM.

The video card is a SG3 and so old,  I don't see it even listed as one that I can get updates.

I mentioned I'm using a PC with Windows XP Professional.

Most likely,  the machine is just flat out of date for use with movies.    The playback change worked for one movie but not this one... it's 16 minutes long.

As I can't really afford a new computer I think I'm stuck with the problem.   I was hoping there might be a setting that I could change but it doesn't look like it.    I have 40% remaining on my primary hard drive and I did add an external hard drive to move some of my programs but I think the RAM may be the problem.

Anyway,  thanks for your help but I think the only cure is to buy a faster computer with a larger hard drive and faster video card and more RAM and that just ain't in the cards for this year --  we're paying for some remodeling jobs on the house. 

Thanks again but I don't think there is an easy fix for the problem that doesn't require $$$.

Gene

• 4. Re: PE11 CTI movement does not align with video playback
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Gene

Thanks for the follow up.

Did you go back and try what worked for us recently when this same type of thing happened to you? Did it not repeat itself in solving the current problem?

What model JVC camcorder do you have and at what settings do you record? Do your videos have the file extension .mod? If so, are they standard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9?

I have a Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit computer (real old) with less resources than you do, and it is remarkable what can be done with that for Premiere Elements video editing and export with a continuously optimized computer.

Do you have your computer optimized, cleaned up and cleared out?

More later if you wish to pursue the matter. Appreciate the opportunity to help if needed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE11 CTI movement does not align with video playback
                  Genetrump Level 1

ATR,  I've been messing around with the Expert side and when you click on the time line a small monitor shows up... I have no idea what it is for.   It won't allow me to do anything other than "in" or "out" and I don't know what that means.   Here's the kicker.   The video runs perfectly in that smaller monitor but the CTI doesn't move on the time line as the small movie is running.     What the heck is the smaller screen for?

If the smaller screen was the primarily monitor and connected to the time line so I could cut and paste I'd have no problem.

Gene

• 6. Re: PE11 CTI movement does not align with video playback
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Genetrump

Thank you. Thank you for that great information.

There are two monitors in the Edit Mode area. The primary one is what I refer to as the Edit Mode Monitor. The space that you see in that monitor reflects the project settings to give you a space corresponding to the project settings from which to edit your video.

The other "monitor" that you are encountering is called the Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out points. From there you can trim (split) the video and drag selected scenes to the Timeline. If you double click the thumbnail for your file in Project Assets, the Preview Window with Set In and Set Out will appear. If you double click the video on the Timeline, this Preview Window will appear.

You cannot run the Preview Window playback and the Edit Mode Monitor playback at the same time. At least I have always found that to be the case.

The following is one of my blog posts that talks about the usefulness of the Preview Window. When you have time please check it out.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

But I think you are OK. Could you go into detail about this copy and paste that you want to do in your project.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: PE11 CTI movement does not align with video playback
                      Genetrump Level 1

ATR,  great info!   That helps a lot!

I think I figured out what I did to myself.    I have an external drive and at some point,  I saved the project in the external drive... I think this caused the problem.   As a test,  I unplugged the external drive and ran the project from my primary computer hard drive.

That corrected the problem with the CTI and the video not matching up.   Evidently,  by creating a secondary spot for the project in the external drive,  it caused the conflict.   I don't know enough about computers to know why but when I disconnected the external drive,  the problem was solved.

I reconnected the external hard drive and deleted all files and entries that were associated with my project.   The files in the external drive were the problem.

Without a manual,  I rely heavily on this Forum.

Thanks for your help and I'm sure I'll be back.

Gene

• 8. Re: PE11 CTI movement does not align with video playback
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Gene

Great troubleshooting.

A just in case note, once you have opened a project and imported media into it, the project recognizes that media at the location they were at when you imported them. Also note that the project does not have the originals, just copies of the originals. And, all track back to the originals at that hard drive save location.

So, if you save close the project and then move the media that went into the project to a different location, you will run into a major media offline/missing media situation. Typically the missing media dialogs that pop up will help you reconnect project and the media that it is not recognizing because you moved them from the location that the project remembers.

We will be watching for your continuing progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: PE11 CTI movement does not align with video playback
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Gene,

That external HDD could have contributed to the slow-down of the Timeline, in two distinct ways - they are basically the same, "throughput," but come from two possible fronts:

1. The speed of the discs in the external - many are only 5200 RPM, and not the 7200 RPM, which is considered the minimum.
                          2. The speed of the connection - USB 2.0, and FireWire-400 are just too slow, IMO, with FireWire-800 being about the minimum for smooth, quick editing. eSATA and USB 3.0 are even better, and if the discs are at least 7200 RPM, should work fine.

Good luck, and glad that you have your Project back on line.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: PE11 CTI movement does not align with video playback
                            Genetrump Level 1

I tried a new clip and did not move any files into the external hard drive.   That took care of the CTI /playback concern.    I didn't know about the external hard drive limitations.   Now that I know,  I won't bother using it for clips.  

Thanks, Bill.   You guys are always a great help and I need all I can get now that I'm interested in videos.

• 11. Re: PE11 CTI movement does not align with video playback
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Gene,

Great news!

I use externals a lot, since I migrate Projects from my laptop to my workstation, but have found, that for me at least, FW-800 is about the minimum that I can comfortably work with, so long as those have 7200 RPM minimum platter speed.

With a new laptop, I will likely start replacing those FW-800 externals with USB 3.0's, w/ at least 7200 RPM drives.

I keep expecting to see external SSD's, maybe in a RAID, at a fair price, but might have to wait for the next generation, to get those down to where I can afford them.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt