13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2006 10:32 AM by Michael Hager

photo issues

jlftigers
      I am uploading photos through either photoshop or fireworks, and they will appear in the program fine (they don't show that grey broken link X thing) and it's wierd bc half of them work....and then a few random ones show up as X's when I try and view the site online. They are all saved in the same format (jpg). I don't know what's going on. Please help.
        • 1. Re: photo issues
          bregent Most Valuable Participant
          Are you running Norton? Some security software like Norton will block images that it thinks are ads based on the image name and the size. Images with the name 'banner' in them are often to blame. Could this be happening in your case?
          • 2. Re: photo issues
            ....and of course, a link to your site would be helpful.
            • 3. Re: photo issues
              Level 7
              If you are finding only some are failing, and you are on Unix/Linux hosting,
              doublecheck to perfectly match the case of your links and your filenames

"jlftigers" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:eaql2c$fa3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I am uploading photos through either photoshop or fireworks, and they will
              > appear in the program fine (they don't show that grey broken link X thing)
              > and
              > it's wierd bc half of them work....and then a few random ones show up as
              > X's
              > when I try and view the site online. They are all saved in the same
              > format
              > (jpg). I don't know what's going on. Please help.
              >

• 4. Re: photo issues
                Level 1
                One more place to look, double check in Photoshop that all of your images are saved in RGB color mode. Most browsers won't show CMYK images as these are made for printing.
                • 5. Re: photo issues
                  jlftigers Level 1
                  OK none of them say banner, the link to the website is www.dissonskating.com/press/index.html and then when you click skater photos, each photo has the ability to click and open up it's own page with an elarged photo....right now they are all changed to the ones that don't look as nice that work. The photos don't seem to be any different--file wise etc--then the ones that do work.
                  • 6. Re: photo issues
                    Level 7

> right now they are all changed to the ones that don't look as nice
                    > that work

How about you make a page with some image files that Don't work, upload that
                    page, and give the direct url address to it??

• 7. Re: photo issues
                      jlftigers Level 1
                      I updated the page with the photos that don't work, the address is http://www.dissonskating.com/Press/Skater%20Photos.html and the ones that don't when individually clickedo nare todd eldredge, carly patterson, paul hamm, michael weiss, and jamie sale and david pelletier. thanks so much.
                      • 8. Re: photo issues
                        jlftigers Level 1
                        I updated the page with the photos that don't work, the address is http://www.dissonskating.com/Press/Skater%20Photos.html and the ones that don't when individually clickedo nare todd eldredge, carly patterson, paul hamm, michael weiss, and jamie sale and david pelletier. thanks so much.
                        • 9. Re: photo issues
                          jlftigers Level 1
                          • 10. Re: photo issues
                            The image files have spaces in the names, like this:
                            ../our_events/images/Eldredge #1 by Andrea Chempinski.jpg

The best thing you can do is get rid of all spaces in your filenames and directory names.
                            • 11. Re: photo issues
                              Level 7
                              On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 16:12:28 +0000 (UTC), "bregent"
                              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>The image files have spaces in the names, like this:
                              > ../our_events/images/Eldredge #1 by Andrea Chempinski.jpg
                              >
                              > The best thing you can do is get rid of all spaces in your filenames and
                              >directory names.

While I agree with you about space in file names being a bad idea, I
                              suspect the problem here has more to do with the # being interpreted as
                              a named anchor.

Gary
                              • 12. Re: photo issues
                                >I suspect the problem here has more to do with the #

Yup, both are problems.
                                • 13. Re: photo issues
                                  Level 1
                                  Yes, clean up your file names, but more of a problem is that you are putting huge files on your page as thumbnails. I had no problem viewing your page, but on a slow connection, some of them take so long to load that you think they are broken when in fact, they are just taking very long to display.

You need to create separate thumbnails that are the actual size you want to display, in your case 80x80 pixels. The fact that you are cramming 2336 x 3504 pixel images into an 80 x 80 box also is why your images are distorted there.

Then there is the fact that you put these very large images into a web page that causes the viewer to have to scroll about the image to see it all…

Reduce your images to somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 to 800 pixels in the longest direction so they can be viewed complete. If you want your viewers to have the option of viewing or downloading the full sized image, link it directly to the image and let the browser resize it.