4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 7:15 AM by Pixelpush3r

Edge Inspect for PC without Wi-Fi

Buffalo_0

My pc at work doesn't currently have the ability to connect to my works wi-fi network, my smartphone can connect to the wi-fi network. Does anyone know of a way I can still use edge inspect or do all devices need to be connected to the same wi-fi network?

Many Thanks

• 1. Re: Edge Inspect for PC without Wi-Fi
          Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

Connecting to the same wi-fi network isn't really a requirement, but there could be problems doing it that way. You still might be able to use Edge Inspect as long as the two networks can talk to each other across port 7682 - you may need to talk to your IT department to know that for sure.

If your PC is connected to the hardwired network and your phone is on the wireless network do the following:

1. Make sure you've got all the pieces of software installed... the desktop application on your PC, the app on your phone from the app store, and the Edge Inspect Chrome extension in Chrome.
          2. Turn off or temporarily disable any firewall software running on your PC.
          3. Start up the desktop application and click on the Edge Inspect icon in Chrome to open the dialog. Your computer's IP address should be displayed at the top, make note of it
          4. Start the application on your phone. Because you're on different networks, auto-discovery can't work, so click the button in the upper right-hand corner of the phone application and enter your PC's IP address there.
          5. If port 7682 is open between the networks, you should get a connection and a passcode should appear on your phone. Enter that into the Chrome extension dialog and you should be good to go.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions/problems,

Mark

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Edge Inspect for PC without Wi-Fi
            JurijsKobecs Level 1

Is there any chance to connect iphone and Edge Inspect without wifi or internet at all just using usb cable?

• 3. Re: Edge Inspect for PC without Wi-Fi
              Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

No, sorry. That's not possible.

• 4. Re: Edge Inspect for PC without Wi-Fi
                Pixelpush3r

I have a similar situation to the OP above except I have an ethernet Mac and a smartphone on regular old 4G. What about Bluetooth as a means of connecting the devices through Edge Inspect? Otherwise I'll be burning through data for testing...