3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2013 1:12 PM by Rick Gerard

How do i get text ticker to work?

AC_2013

Hi everyone, how do i get the text ticker to work on this template http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/?s=news+template a simple step-by-step would be great or a script.  I want it to scroll like on news channels and loop.  Sorry i am a NEWBIE.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How do i get text ticker to work?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not sure what you are asking here. The free templates contain a bunch of type layers, a few graphics and that's it. If you want the text layers to do something then you have to animate them.

What layer do you want to animate? What are you trying to do. There is nothing in the project called text ticker. If you mean the crawling (scrolling in vertical movement and it's used in credit rolls) text at the bottom of the graphics stack then simply animate the position of a text layer, then if you want that text to loop use a loop out expression like this applied to the position property: (you will need 3 keyframes. Starting position, ending position, then a copy of the starting position keyframe)

loopOut("cycle");

If you are completely lost then Start Here and learn about animation basics.

• 2. Re: How do i get text ticker to work?
            AC_2013 Level 1

Hi thanks for your reply.  Sorry about the link, i didnt know i couldnt post one.  Ok i will explain alil better....  I have a news template i have downloaded and am using it, (like any news channel it has a text ticker at the bottom that is highlighted news stories) ie.  'Britain recession * S/korea talks with America * Obama visits S/africa'.  I would like this text to move from right to left and then loop itself. 

Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: How do i get text ticker to work?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I told you how to do that. Replace the text. Animate the position by setting a start and end keyframe. Copy the start keyframe, move one frame past the end keyframe and paste, then add a loopOut("cycle") expression to the position property by holding down the Alt/Option key and clicking on the position stop watch. The only hard part is making sure that you know exactly where the text needs to be to loop. You may need to write something like 'Britain recession * S/korea talks with America * Obama visits S/africa' 'Britain recession * S/korea talks with America *'  so that the loop looks seamless.

If you are still lost, then enter Animation Basics in the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE and do some studying. Creating this kind of animation is something that you would know how to do after the first half hour of any class on AE. You are asking to do the most basic of tasks. Animate position. The expression is also the most basic of After Effects expressions.