7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2013 2:56 PM by Jim_Simon

Ignore Source Out Point doesn't work?

chillyche Level 1

So, I've got an in and out selected in my sequence, and an in and out selected in source window.  I hit my overwrite edit key (B, cuz I'm an old-skool Avid mofo).  And it brings up a window asking me how I want to perform this edit.  Well, I'd like to ignore the source out point, of course, since that's how 4-point editing has always worked forever.  So I click ignore source out point.  And what happens?  It ignores the source out point all right, but it also seems to ignore the SEQUENCE outpoint, and I get a big chunk of footage I don't want slapped into (and over) my sequence.

I thought maybe it was operator error.  So I tried again.  Same issue. 

So, maybe it has something to do with loading a sequence into the source monitor, I thought...

And I was right.

When I load a master clip into the source window, I can 4-point edit or 3-point edit like a champ.  But when I load a sequence into my source monitor, everything starts breaking down.  The ignore source out point option doesn't work.  Also, the go to next edit and go to previous edit commands don't work within a sequence in the source monitor.  I toggle to the program monitor (not using any single toggle button, because that feature doesn't exist yet, I have to have separate buttons to get me into each different palette, even though the two most common palettes are source and program) and the comands work fine. 

Okay, so I guess my issue is: is working with sequences in the source monitor gonna get fixed?  It's kind of a workflow destroyer if an editor has to only edit from clips, and not edit from their stringouts and cutdowns and selects and what have you.

• 1. Re: Ignore Source Out Point doesn't work?
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Nice job isolating this, chillyche. I've noted it and will check whether it's already documented in our bug database.

• 2. Re: Ignore Source Out Point doesn't work?
            chillyche Level 1

Cool.  Thanks.  I intend to put this thing through its paces.  When PPCC is fully armed and operational, it will be a post production dream.

• 3. Re: Ignore Source Out Point doesn't work?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

the go to next edit and go to previous edit commands don't work within a sequence in the source monitor.

That's probably normal.  When a sequence is loaded into the Source Monitor, it's seen as a single 'clip', much like a nested sequence, so there are no 'edits' to go to.

• 4. Re: Ignore Source Out Point doesn't work?
                chillyche Level 1

Perhaps it is normal, but then I'd respectfully ask Adobe to look into a new normal.  As an FCP and Avid editor, I'm very much used to editing from Sequences -- that is, loaded into the source monitor.  If I'm not intending to nest that sequence (which I'm not, and my little insert and overwrite sequences as nests or individual clips toggle is 99% of the time set on individual clips), then I'd still very much want the sequence to behave as a string out of clips.  Indeed, if I have a sequence of 20 great moments, and I want to play around in the middle of the sequence, I'd like to just jump forward six or seven cuts with six or seven strokes of the S key (or whatever key I have set for go to next edit), rather than having to play at 4x speed through the first however many seconds/minutes in my sequence.  Using the mouse to find the spot is uncool, I don't want to have to be constantly switching between mouse and keyboard.

Like I've said, I'm very interested in the editing world embracing premiere.  But just found myself working at about half speed today, due to me not knowing all the ins and outs of the program, and due to the program having some rather akward interface choices.  This is one of those choices.

Also, the fact that I can't set in point and out point keys to more than one key.  Both my FCP and my Avid keyboard are setup to use I and O as well as E and R.  This means that when I'm two-hand editing, I can mark in and out with my left hand, while JKLing with the right, and when I'm doing something with the mouse, I can use I and O, and not have my hand travel back and forth between JKL and E and R.  It would be relatively easy, I would reckon, to allow more than one key to share the same function.  

• 5. Re: Ignore Source Out Point doesn't work?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd respectfully ask Adobe to look into a new normal.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I don't want to have to be constantly switching between mouse and keyboard.

That's why I keep one hand on each.  There are still (and will probably always be) some things you just can't do with a keyboard, or that are more efficient with the mouse.  (Horizontally scrolling the sequence, for example, which I probably do more often any other other action in PP.)

• 6. Re: Ignore Source Out Point doesn't work?
                    Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

@Jim: given your wealth of knowledge about the app, it's safe to assume you know about the Timeline panel's shortcuts "Show Previous Screen"/"Show Next Screen" (Page Up/Page Down by default). So I'm curious why those don't suffice for horizontal scrolling. Does it just take too long (i.e., too many steps) to go a long way?

When I'm feeling too lazy to reach for the mouse, my preferred KB-sequence to navigate a distance is:

1. minus sign to zoom out a little
                    2. page up/down a few times to move left/right
                    3. plus sign to zoom back in
                    • 7. Re: Ignore Source Out Point doesn't work?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm curious why those don't suffice for horizontal scrolling.

Doesn't put things where I want them.  It's a 'page at a time' kind of shortcut.

There is also the action of rapidly moving the CTI to a new position, or quickly scrubbing through footage, or selecting multiple clips at a time, either in a bin or the sequence.

Editing is just overall faster with combo over keyboard only, I think, and always will be.  Even with all the latest developments, I have to slow down because the software just can't keep up with how fast I do things.