7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2013 6:39 PM by Netcommercial

Help shaping a light please

Netcommercial Level 1

Hi All,

Thanks for checking on me.. I shot a scene, did not notice a lamp was not on. In my other cuts / scenes it IS on. I need to fabricate the light being on. I tracked it and am adding a spot light, but I am not getting a desired outline shape. Please see pic to better describe. I am stuck on this one? I am thinking a mask in that shape but I am not sure the> steps > to > get > it > done>

Thanks for some help on this one.

NC

light.PNG

• 1. Re: Help shaping a light please
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are making this too complicated and it's never going to look right using a light.

What you want to do is duplicate your footage layer then create some masks on the layer to reveal the areas you want to light up. Feather the edges of the masks and set the blend mode of the duplicate layer to add. Making your project 32bit would also help. Now adjust the opacity of the duplicate layer to adjust the amount of light on the subjects.

I took your screenshot, duplicated the footage layer, added a mask for the light falling on the worman's back, set the duplicate layer's blend mode to add and got this:

test.jpeg

Notice how the light on her back and the desk top looks more like it is coming from the lamp.

I'd use Mocha to track the scene to cover the movement and create the mattes, then some copies of your footage masked to add in the light. All of this work would be done using a frame from a shot with the light on to make the scene match.

If you would post a frame of the video without your light applied I'll show you how to set it up to make the lamp look more realistic. I will leave animating the masks up to you.

By the way, you could also use the same technique but with the blend mode set to multiply to add shadows to your scene.

If you are really intent on using a light you can position a solid with a mask between the light and the layer and use the mask as a gobo to mask the light beam. Adding a light to the scene is never going to look as realistic as masking a duplicate of the footage with the blend mode set to add in a 32 bit comp.

• 2. Re: Help shaping a light please
            Netcommercial Level 1

I'd use Mocha to track the scene to cover the movement and create the mattes, then some copies of your footage masked to add in the light. All of this work would be done using a frame from a shot with the light on to make the scene match.

Rick, Thanks for helping first off. I figured I was making a mtn out of a mole hill. I do have camera movement. When I track that in Mocha what do I want to use? I'm thinking a Null and a shape Layer for that one? OR is this another area that I need to make a like sized comp before pasting tracking info in it?

If you would post a frame of the video without your light applied I'll show you how to set it up to make the lamp look more realistic. I will leave animating the masks up to you.

Attached below (obviously)

By the way, you could also use the same technique but with the blend mode set to multiply to add shadows to your scene.

Are you referring to the shape layer and it's mode(s)?

If you are really intent on using a light you can position a solid with a mask between the light and the layer and use the mask as a gobo to mask the light beam. Adding a light to the scene is never going to look as realistic as masking a duplicate of the footage with the blend mode set to add in a 32 bit comp.

Not if I can achieve what I want they way you've explained. You usually do know the best way to go about it....However for my own knowing...Where do I change my (bit) setting at?         Maybe a specific>path>to change>Bit rate?

Thanks again Rick, I will play with this tomorrow. I could not figure how to manage the track via mocha and where to paste it. So I used the tracking as shown in the Track and Roto video I watched a week or so. I just could not find an effect like in PrePro has. You would thing AE would have that too? Mask>Roto>add effect. I was thinking of using Bright and Hue on my mask.....

lightRG.PNG

• 3. Re: Help shaping a light please

Here's the relight:

relight.jpeg

Just a quick stab at it with some minor color corrections.

Here's a project file (CS6). Just replace the missing png file with your footage, then animate the position of the masks to keep up with the camera movement. If there is a lot of movement you may need to track in Mocha.

There are a bunch of tutorials on using Mocha to create masks. Take a look at them and then use the masks you create with Mocha as track mattes for the duplicated footage layers. These are kind of advanced compositing techniques. If you have a reference frame where the lamp is turned on you will have a better chance of getting two shots that can cut together.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Help shaping a light please
                Netcommercial Level 1

Thanks Rick Looks GREAT! I see the 32 bit, I see the Masks, A little bit of finesse. I will track the Lamp comp and place it in a subcomp. Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Help shaping a light please
                  Netcommercial Level 1

Ok Rick, I ran into a little snag for tracking, maybe you could set me straight on...

I've attached pics showing Start track, End Track in Mocha. AE's tracking data and end results. It is not staying tracked even though my track is good. It is reminescent of not having the correct comp sizes, without being so drasticly off target. Both comps are at 1920 x1080. I resized them to match. tracked and then exported as SHAPE DATA over to AE.

Take a look and let me know if you see any Rookie mistakes please.

Thanks

NC

Mocha Start track

mochaSt.PNG

Mocha End track

mochaend.PNG

AE's Start track

lmptrack st.PNG

AE's End track

lmptrack end.PNG

Under the Hood of the layer (full twirl)

lmpfulltwirl.PNG

• 6. Re: Help shaping a light please

It's critical in Mocha that the footage and the comp window are exactly the same frame size and frame rate. That's most likely what is throwing your tracking off. Check that and get back to me.

• 7. Re: Help shaping a light please
                      Netcommercial Level 1

Hey Rick,

As I wrote above 1920x1080- 29.97. I tried it twice. I also put the animated layer into it's own PreComp.

Did you notice how the track only moves about a 1/4" (see pic) Yet the Track is spot on evident of my posted pics (see mocha)

I ended up doing it in AE Track and Roto's a shape layer with a mask.

Yet, I would like to get this right in Mocha. I know how to track. I learned on that last excercise where I had that heavy camera movement with those two signs in it, if you recall? (Those signs that were flying off the building where my actor was moving)

I thought maybe there was a secret step between pasting the Shape Data into the desired layer. I made as stated, a pre comp as well as tried it as a regulare layer within a comp. With the same result.

Thank you.

NC