1 2 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2013 4:22 PM by RoysScreenName RSS

Transparency? What "transparency?"

RoysScreenName

Yet another running, jumping, screaming headache.

I've tried everything I know to save a Photoshop image with the transparency preserved.

When I bring the image back up in Photoshop, no background (ie transparent).

When I bring the image up in Premiere Elements, the background is black.

I tried saving the image as a PNG file.

When I bring the PNG image back up in Photoshop, the background is white.

When I bring the PNG image up in Premiere Elements, the background is black.

Hello?

I need this transparent image as an overlay on another image, and prefer not to fool around with a green-screen.

Now what?

rh

• 1. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"
          the_wine_snob Community Member

PNG should be able to give you Transparency.

However, I find that a PSD (Photoshop's native format) has fewer issues, with a Transparent Background. Have you tried that format?

Please let us know if the PSD works. I also Scale my PSD's to match the Project's Frame Size.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"
            RoysScreenName Community Member

Bill . . .

Thanks for the response, but "should" isn't "is."

The PNG, as stated, has either a white or black background.

The Photoshop (PSD) image is white text on a transparent RGB field. That is, I opened a new image as transparent and dragged a set of text (as objects) from an Illustrator file, which I'd opened in Photoshop.

Again, as stated above, the background was transparent when loaded again with Photoshop, whether in version 9.0 (CS-2) or 5.5.1.

When you say "a Transparent Background," do you mean an image with two layers? I'll give that a shot and get back to you.

rh

• 3. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Again, black background.

Have you in fact ever loaded a Photoshop file with a transparent background into Premiere Elements?

rh

• 4. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"
                A.T. Romano Community Member

RoysScreenName

Please excuse all the questions. I  just did not want to take anything for granted.

When you are in Premiere Elements with your image and you say

"the background is black"...

In the two cases that you wrote about, if you put your image on Video 2 and a photo directly underneath it on Video 1, does the photo show through in what is supposed to be the "transparent" sectors of the image on Video 2?

I wanted to get this question and answer out of the way before proceeding further. Premiere Elements uses black to represent transparency so I just wanted to make sure that you have differenitated between an object on the color black background versus an object surrounded by transparency which is being represented in Premiere Elements as black.

Also, what type of .png file are selecting for the save, Save for Web's png-8 or png-24 with the selection for transparency?. Or, the png selection under Save As? Are you remembering to turn off the Visibility icon for all layers except the one with the transparency around the object?

Aside note trivia...when I find myself in Premiere Elements with the black representing the color in a situation such as yours, if I am in a hurry, I will use Chroma Key to get rid of the black to create the true transparency represented by Premiere Elements' black.

ATR

• 5. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"
                  A.T. Romano Community Member

RoysScreenName

In response to question about

Have you in fact ever loaded a Photoshop file with a transparent background into Premiere Elements?

Yes, many, many times as .png and .psd from Photoshop Elements - with transparency of file maintained.

ATR

• 6. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Threw in sponge, green-screened it.

Of course, I'll never be able to do this - or blue-screen - with any images that contain combinations of blue and/or green.

Previously, when I hit that particular wall, I threw in the sponge completely and went to Photoshop to create custom animations. Don't know what I'll do if I ever have to blank out something that can't be handled as a Photoshop/ImageReady animation. (Find relegion?)

Overall, much as I admire Premiere Elements, it is a quirky, often-frustrating, ideosyncratic booger to work with.

rh

• 7. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Yes, many times. I have never had an issue.

PNG handles Transparency in a different fashion, than does PSD. The visual results are the same, but the method differs.

I will post an example of a Transparent Background PSD, Imported and used in Premiere Elements 11.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Here is a look at my PSD in Photoshop w/ a Transparent Background.

Photoshop_Transparent_PSD.png

Here is that same PSD Imported into PrE 11:

PSD_Imported_to_PrE11.png

Now, back in Ps, did you Flatten the PSD? If so, do not do that. Instead, if you need to, Merge Visible. Your PSD will Import with full Transparency.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Roy,

I would pick up that sponge, and just pretend that it slipped out of your hand.

I think that you are close, but need only one more little step.

I suspect that you Flattened the PSD, then did the Save_As PSD, before Import. That is not necessary, and will convert the Transparent Background to white. Same thing with many formats, like JPEG, that does not support Transparency.

Good luck, and please give it one more go, then report your success.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

As usual I'm overwhelmed and humbled by the thought and time you guys devote to my dumb problems.

No, I never flatten images, Bill. If I want to kill the layers, I selectively merge them into a single image.

Also, Romero, I'm going to go back and reconsider your advice. Will get back to you guys in an hour or so.

Also also, where's Grisetti? It was his comments in Tricks and Hot Tips that got me started down this path.

As for frustrating, ideosyncratic, and quirky, I'll expand on that once I've seen whether the "black" is indeed transparent.

Again, guys, my gratitude.

rh

rh

• 11. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Ach, Gott!

Romero and Hunt, yes. I saw the white text on a black background and understood that this was how the thing would appear.

Per your advice, I put a photo under it ... et voila! ... the white text super-ed over the photo, no black BG.

There's an old saw about "marry in haste, repent at leisure." I think this pertains to working in an unfamiliar medium as well.

Thanks for all the time and advice.

rh

• 12. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

As for the item I'm working on, I think you'll agree it's a bloody ambitious task for a rank beginner to try.

Once I've got the last two elements in it, I'll try to find a way to post the video's answer print for you to view.

Bill, this is for a Kickstarter project. Do I recall that you weren't familiar with Kickstarter? If so, here are a few links:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snuglet/snuglet-keeps-your-macbook-power-cable-connect ed?ref=home_location

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1183582908/the-origin-of-species-charles-darwin-evolut ionary?ref=category

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/airshipambassador/wollstonecraft?ref=category

rh

• 13. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Most of us spend a good deal of our time, trying our best to help users get the most from their editing expereinces. Usually, we're pretty good, but do miss a thing, or two, sometimes.

As for Steve G., my guess is that he and his family are enjoying the July 4th holiday, in the US. Probably hotdogs on the grill, maybe fireworks, and a parade, or two. Just a guess.

From my examples, you should be able to see that a PSD with Transparency for the Background, is very doable. Sorry that I Imported an SD Widescreen 16:9 PSD into an HD Project, but you get the idea. I started to redo things, but already had the screen-caps, and had declared "Wine Thirty," so let that little thing go. Hope that you do not mind.

I also used both Text, plus a Shape, in my PSD, to show that both types of Objects, can show on a Transparent Background.

I just hope that the examples help,

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Great news!

In PrE, Transparent, over no other video WILL show as black. If you had other material, say a Video, or Still Image (in my example), that black would NOT be black, but Transparent.

Good luck, and thank you for reporting.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Bill, I'm still a newbie, but in my experience the black that you see behind your transparent item is simply the defacto Premiere Elements black screen.

If, for instance, you've put together a video and there are gaps between the clips, the gaps show black.

So, in essence, your tranparent BG on a clip is transparent. It's simply showing its tranparent background over a black PE blank spot.

Make sense?

Also, it's the 5th, dude! If Steve's having any reaction to the 4th, it may be that he drank a 5th on the 4th and is doing time in bed with an icebag on his head. (Or, he's in Wisconsin, so it may be that he downed a 6-pack on the 4th and is spending the 5th in bed with an etc etc etc.)

Also also, tell me if there's some mechanism through which I can show you an answer print of my video-in-progress.

rh

• 16. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Roy,

You are correct. I find it better to think of a Still Image (or even a Video with Alpha Channel, or similar) over nothing, as "nothing," rather than black. Yes, we SEE it as black, but it's really showing nothing. It's like playing an empty Video Track vs one with Black Video (synthetic Video, created with the New Item icon). They appear to the viewer's eye, to be identical, i.e. black, but are quit different in actuality. That is why gaps, i.e. no Video, can cause Transcodes to fail. Though a gap looks like Black Video, it is very different, and the Transcond engine can easily fail at the point of a gap.

If working with a Transparent Asset, it can often be useful to add, then later remove, a Color Matte, below that Transparent Asset. I do similar in Photoshop, quite often. Rather than change the display of Transparency, from the gray/white grid, I just add a Color Layer, below everything else, and Delete it, before I do a Save_As PSD.

Though I do not know for sure, I would guess that Steve has taken the family to the beach, or to the mountains, for a long-weekend. Hope that he produces some great video!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

As for the "answer print," I use Vimeo, or YouTube, to display works in progress. If I am working with a client, who has a fast connection, I might upload the "daily" to YouSendIt, which will store the AV file, and send the client an e-mail, with the URL to download that. I can add other functions, such as limit the # of downloads, receive notification if the client has downloaded it, restrict the downloads as required, and also receive notification of when the client read their e-mail. Each of those costs a few $'s, but can be useful.

For most of my stuff, however, I just use Vimeo, or YouTube, and when the life of that piece has run its course, just Delete it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

I suppose lakes have beaches, but as a native Californian and former surfer (now living in Vegas) the concept of "beach" implies a great shore break. And, trust me on this, the shore-break at Lake Michigan sucks! Also, as an old backpacker and mountaineer in the East Sierra, I can promise you that there are no mountains in Wisconsin.

But what the heck, maybe he took the family to California.

r

• 19. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Thanks for the YouTube/Vimeo advice. Never heard of Vimeo, but will check it out.

r

• 20. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

And, I just saw that Steve had popped into another thread, a moment ago. Maybe he's got his Mac PowerBook at the "beach?"

Hunt

• 21. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"
                                                  Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

You guys are doing fine without me on this thread, Bill!

• 22. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

I don't know. Roy kept calling out your name!

bat_light_SG.png

Hope that you had a safe and glorious July 4th.

Hunt

• 23. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Sometimes even Batman leaves the work to Superman and Night Wing, Bill.

• 25. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

So, Steve-o, how was the shore break at Lake Michigan? (Or were you hiking Mt Green Bay?)

Here's my You Tube Answer Print. Some of the still images look bit-mappy. I'll have to fix that, I imagine. (Looked okay on my computer, looked molto-sucky on You Tube.)

The black area during the description of the plot, as well as the fixed Last Days cover in the end bit, will be replaced with multiple-screen clips, a la The Thomas Crown Affair ... the orignal Steve McQueen one. Very Saul Bass/Herb Lubalin style. These will be ever-changing videos of The Strip; cars flowing into Vegas at what appears to be 120-mph; crowds power-walking The Strip at 30-mph; the big electronic billboards; the iconic Belagio fountains; etc etc etc.

Here's the Answer Print. I think it's not bad, for a rank beginner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2jBJ8UWNYA&feature=youtu.be

• 26. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Forgot to add ... the first "KICK" clip will have the sound effect of a motorcycle getting a kickstarter kick, but not starting. The second "KICK" clip will have the sound effect of a motorcycle getting a kickstarter kick, coughing once or twice, but not starting. The "KICKSTARTER" clip will have the sound effect of a motorcycle getting a kickstarted, then the sound of the engine diminishing as the bike moves away.

The multi-clip montage of Vegas will have the sound of casino dealers taking bets and of coins dropping endlessly into the pay-out cup of an old-fashioned slot machine.

rh

• 27. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Roy,

When one posts to several sites, the first URL that they get is for their private viewing. Depending on the service, there is usually an "non-private" URL, for others to view.

Did you post the "private" URL?

If so, when you go to that (only you can), there should be a second one, maybe to the right, and below the player of the private version. If so, can you post that link?

Good luck, and we look forward to seeing your work.

Hunt

• 28. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Not entirely sure what you mean, but I'll give it a shot.

rh

• 29. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

What You Tube offers is a "Settings" panel on my preferences page. I've changed this from "Private" to "Public."

Should work now.

Thanks for the heads-up. Let me know what you think.

r

• 31. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Love your video, Roy! Thanks for sharing it.

A "rank beginner"? I think you're well on your way to being a terrific videomaker. And you clearly have a knowledge of film and film history. Great job!

• 32. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

I am now being driven crazy by You Tube.

I didn't realize the difference between the "edit" and the "public view" of the video.

Here's a revised revised link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2jBJ8UWNYA&feature=vm

• 33. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Thank you, Steve.

As for my "knowledge of film and film history," remember that I'm a very old crock ... and a former copywriter, designer, and creative director at a number of regional, national, and international ad agencies.

I grew up worshiping the likes of Herb Lubalin, Saul Bass, Richard Avedon, George Lois, Carl Ally, and Raymond Lowey. It wasn't history, Bubba, it was just daily life. (To those of you who don't recall the days of dinosaurs and Lucigraph copying machines, maybe it is history. Ah, well, on to the boneyard!)

A friend tells me that the quotes roll up too fast. Wotcha think?

rh

• 34. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Also, of course (along with Bass, Lubalin et cie), Paul Bacon, the greatest book-cover designer who ever lived. (By coincidence, the cover of Hungarian is a Paul Bacon illustration and design, and the Last Days cover is a variation on Paul's theme.)

If I post credits to this video, I'll also have to include a thank you to Steve Grisetti for Cool Tricks and Hot Tips. Steve ... I imagine that you recognized cool trick after cool trick in my Kickstarter video.

Thank you bigtime for all the stuff.

And much thanks to Hunt and Romano for their invaluable advice. Without the Three Musketeers, I would still be lost in the swamp.

rh

• 35. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Roy,

So very glad that you were able to post that URL. I get tripped up on YouTube also, as I do not use it ALL that often, and have to poke around on each page, more than I should. Sounds very interesting.

Being a fan of Brad Thor, Brad Taylor, Vince Flynn (RIP), Brad Meltzer and many more authors of that genre, plus others, such as James Lee Burke, I am very interested in The Last Days of Las Vegas. I am patiently awaiting Brad Thor's new release.

I do most of my reading on my Kindle device, since I fly so very much, and packing a few suitcases of even paperbacks, can be an issue. On a fairly recent trip from San Francisco to Washington, DC, to London, I ended up flying back with a full 3-suiter, filled with paperbacks. I completed 20 on that trip, and soon began fully embracing the Kindle. Now, I fill it up, before I depart, and stick it in the back of my briefcase. Other than having to read Hemispheres, during takeoff and landing, the rest of the flights will involve the Kindle.

Will your book be published for the Kindle (Amazon)?

Just curious, and I think that you have customer knocking at your door...

Well done, and thank you,

Hunt

• 36. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

And I'm deeply flattered to be mentioned in the same post as Saul Bass and Paul Bacon! Wow! Thanks, Roy!

• 37. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Hello again, Bill ...

Given the novel's length, complexity, chapter-head apothegms, multiple footnotes, and my general loathing of Amazon (go to The Authors Guild to see how thoroughly the greed-heads at Amazon are cheating novelists and messing up publishers and indie bookstores), it's not likely that Last Days will ever be available in digital form.

And although I was an early adopter of computers, starting in 1978, I'm an absolute Luddite when it comes to books. I want paper and ink in my paws.

Once I get Last Days republished, I'll ask you, Porthos, and Aramis for you mailing addresses and send you first-run copies, hot from the bindery.

r

• 38. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

Very cool. I'd love that, D'Artagnan.

• 39. Re: Transparency? What "transparency?"

A couple of unfinished items here, and a bit more for El Señor Esteban Grisetti:

Do the on-line reviews of The Last Days of Las Vegas roll up too quickly … or do you think that the average person, seeing this video, will have the chops to click on the II pause button to read them?

Also … think I can live with the bit-mappy images, especially the ones of the galley proof pages and the PDF conversion screens? These were screen-shot grabs, hence garbage-y.

So—on to El Señor Esteban …

I hope that you'll include the clarification that "transparent" shows as black with a Hot Tip paragraph in the next edition of Cool Tricks. It would have saved this pilgrim a lot of grief and anguish … though it gave me an excuse to stir up the Three Musketeers once more.

Also, you might want to correct your bit about ligatures (page 192). "Ligatures" are type characters of two or more letters combined, as in Æ or œ. The term doesn't apply to quotes, m-dashes, etc. These latter are "printers' type" or "glyphs" as opposed to "typewriter type."

You missed a couple of strokes with m-dash and appostrophe: M-dash isn't Alt 0150 … that's an n-dash, thus –. An m-dash is Alt 0151, thus —. Also, your apostrophe is a right-hand or close apostrophe, thus . There's also the left-hand or open apostrophe of Alt 0145, thus .

You might also want to add a few other common printers' glyphs, such as n with a tilde, ñ, as well as various accute (café), grave, cedilla (Alt 0231 ç), circumflex, and umlauts (Günter Grass, naïve, etc etc). Plus, of course, the ellipsis (Alt 0133, thus )

If you're using InDesign to set your book, there's a whole palette of glyphs and such in the type tools.

There's so much good and absolutely-necessary information in Cool Tricks, it's rather a shame not to give other newbies (who aren't type freaks, like certain of your cranky old acquaintances) the lowdown on how to give their text that professional polish.

rh

1 2 Previous Next