Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

32 bit Flash version with Windows 7

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2013 Jul 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdo

I am being asked by a supplier of an online technical test to install a 32 bit version of adobe flash player because the 64 bit version I have currently installed will not work. My environment is Windows 7 Home Premium, IE10. I have visited the Adobe download site, but that merely points me to 64 bit versions.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Richard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a 64-bit system the Flash Player installer will automatically install both 32-bit and 64-bit plugins, so you should have it for both 32-bit and 64-bit browsers.

What exactly "will not work" with the 64-bit plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

The online assessment will not work. I suspect it relies on flash to run it. After I log in I proceed through a couple of screens which talk about the assessment. The screen supplies 2 buttons, 1 to start a practice session, another to do the actual assessment. I click the practice button whereupon a small popup window appears with a "please wait" message. This is quickly replaced by an errorpage.aspx which reports an error code. Following a link to an explanation of the error code it tells me this:

"This message is displayed when the connection to the assessment system cannot be established. A firewall or security software may be blocking the test from downloading or one of your browser software components is not up-to-date.

In order to overcome this problem, please ensure your version of Java and Adobe Flash Player is up-to-date. You can download the latest version for free using the below links:
Java:
www.java.com/getjava/
Flash:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/"

In addition to this a link is displayed which helpfully attempts to verify environment setting. It opens another page which lists some current computer settings. Those checked as correct are given a green tick, those in error are given a red cross. Operating system and browser type are OK with green ticks, Flash plugin version and windows media player are marked with red crosses with links next to both to show how to fix them. The flash link takes me to another screen which displays this message:

"If you are using Internet Explorer (IE) please ensure that you use the 32-bit version. Flash is not compatible with the 64-bit version of IE."

Then it points to the adobe site to get the right download.

If my 64 bit flash also comes with 32 bit, how do I switch it on please ?

Thank you

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rrn518 wrote:

"If you are using Internet Explorer (IE) please ensure that you use the 32-bit version. Flash is not compatible with the 64-bit version of IE."

I don't think this statement is correct; it may related to Flash Player 10 or earlier, when it was only a 32-bit plugin.

IE10 by default runs in 32-bit mode; you can check what mode you are running at http://user-agent.me/ - if it reads "x64" after your Windows version, then you are running IE in 64-bit mode; if it reads "WOW64", then it is in 32-bit mode.

My recommendation would be to use a different browser for this test, e.g. Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Pat

Thanks for replying again.

I decided to try another laptop whereupon it all worked without problem. The other one is also windows 7/ie 10. I have no where they are different so dont know why one works and not the other. The assessment is done so i will not pursue this any longer.

Thank you for your help.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

are the 2 laptops hardware identical ? Flash is picky about video drivers and such. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines