3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2013 9:50 AM by RED7STUDIOS

Program monitor and Timeline scrubbing ground to a halt

BombshellStudios Level 1

I am at my wits end with this. I've done a number of searches to find a similar experience but haven't gotten anything exact. I have tried a number of the changes to no avail.

scrubbing source files seems to be fine. it's only when viewing the time line and trying to scrub or move the timeline forward or back.

Premiere Pro 5.0.4

Mac Pro late 2010 16 gig ram

Source files: Hard Drive A

Scratch Disks: Hard Drive B

Footage: DSLR Canon (not yet rendered to ProRes)

Computer restarted numerous times.

ONLY used to edit. no effects or corrections other than possibly adjusting a clips position.

I have four different sequences and the ALL do it.

PLEASE NOTE:  This happened over night to a project that has been fine up until now. Yesterday went to work on it and it was abysmally slow. Same thing today. System hasn't changed. Nothing was added to the project. No hard crash over the night.

thanks.

Michael

• 1. Re: Program monitor and Timeline scrubbing ground to a halt
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Are the clips involved on the timeline from the same master source clip?  I seem to recall a bug in CS5.x causing slowdowns when clips like that were adjacent to each other and/or overlapping in the timeline.  it was eventually fixed, but I don't know which version fixed it.

Any third party hardware like AJA or Blackmagic installed?

As a last resort you could try trashing your preferences -- hold down the Shift and Opt keys while Pr launches, and keep them pressed until the Welcome screen appears.

Jeff

• 2. Re: Program monitor and Timeline scrubbing ground to a halt
            BombshellStudios Level 1

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply! I think most of clips are from a variety of masters. There are about 120 different takes. Some are used more than once but not often and they don't overlap at all. I'll check more into that.

No third party hardware.

Did the preference thing but will do the shift/opt (didn't know what that was) as a test.

I did (after spending most of the day yesterday trying to solve this) figure out that I had a transparent .png file used as a temp aspect ratio letterbox in all five sequences.  I turned off that video layer and it was (somewhat) fixed. It's still slow but it's a huge improvement over previously. This .png has been part of the sequences from the beginning. I use it in other projects without this problem. Have absolutely no idea why this would be the issue.

Thanks for the help.

Michael

• 3. Re: Program monitor and Timeline scrubbing ground to a halt
              RED7STUDIOS Level 1

Same issue here. Works fine on the old CS6 :L Lame update.

Any fixes thanks.