10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 7:19 PM by Rick Gerard

AE CS5.5 Crash

EFEKT Studio

Hi, I'm using AE CS5.5. So, when I try to open a project (any project), AE crashes with this message: "unable to obtain the user language registry key at software adobe after effects... bla bla). I've seen people here had similar problems, but didn't found a solution. Support told me only phone support can help me, but lately I've spend 25 minutes talking to random people without any help, so I wouldn't like to do that, otherwise, my earnings will all go to adobe support phone bills

I'm pretty sure what causes the problem. Scripts installed in docked UI panel. Let me just say that on PC (windows), same AE version, I never had this problems. Now I switched to Mac and I'm having these issues. When I remove scripts for dockable UI panels, and try to open any project, it opens normal. I've also disabled OpenGL to try that too, but that's not the problem.

I also have the latest updates for both AE and OS. Using Mac Pro, dual xeons, 64gb ram.....

Please help, I'm going mad here. (Bought production premium cs6 and after being really disapointed with AE, switched back to cs5.5)

*frustrated*

Thank you

• 1. Re: AE CS5.5 Crash
          EFEKT Studio Level 1

p.s. I didn't give more details:

- I'm using Adobe After Effects CS5.5 - 10.5.1.2

- All updates installed

- I have Mac OS X - 10.8.4

- Full error message: <ASL.ResourceUtils.GetLanguageIDFromRegistry><0> Unable to obtain the User 'Language' registry key at: Software\Adobe\After Effects\10.5.1\Defaulting to 'en_US'. Generatic crash log, which may take a few minutes.

- When I try to open any project with custom workspace (and couple of docked scripts in UI) I get this

- This worked on PC (2 of them) on CS5.5 / windows with no problems

- QuickTime is installed (10.2)

- I also have Production Premium CS6

- No thirds party effects or codecs installed (except scripts for ae)

- I'm using Mac Pro / 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 / 1TB HD/ ATI Radeon 5870 1GB/

- No third party hardware installed

- Using OpenGL, but tried without it, still get crash

• 2. Re: AE CS5.5 Crash
            EFEKT Studio Level 1

One more information that might be useful. When I have caps lock activated while opening the project, it doesn't crash.

• 3. Re: AE CS5.5 Crash
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, and what scripts/ panels do you actually use? Could be an issue with file paths hardcoded in one of the scripts. Have you checked for updated versions of those scripts and contacted the authors?

Mylenium

• 4. Re: AE CS5.5 Crash
                EFEKT Studio Level 1

Hi! I've updated the scripts too. The scripts are from aescripts and as far as I could see in comments, folks didn't have this kind of issue. I was also using them on pc for a long time without any problem.

• 5. Re: AE CS5.5 Crash
                  EFEKT Studio Level 1

So, there is no one who has a solution?

• 6. Re: AE CS5.5 Crash
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This does not seem to be a universal problem. We need to know a lot more about your machine and your projects to figure out why they are crashing. You could even post a project for us to look at and see if we can get the same problem. There are so many variables that without more information there's not much we can suggest.

• 7. Re: AE CS5.5 Crash
                      EFEKT Studio Level 1

Hi Rick, well I've posted this about my machine

Mac Pro / 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 / 1TB HD/ ATI Radeon 5870 1GB

I don't know what else I could post. As I said, my thing is that third party scripts that are docked into UI panel cause the problems (pretty much every script, ie, famous BG Renderer). Never ever had that problems on pc.

• 8. Re: AE CS5.5 Crash

Try and think about what you would want to know if you were trying to diagonse the problem. What has changed? What's different? What may be in the project that could be causing the problems. Asking the right question is the first step in finding the solution to the problem. The right question is rarely why is my app crashing?

What scripts exactly? Have you tried removing them one at a time? There could be some other issues with the extended script tool kit or other software that is installed on your machine.

I've run mostly Macs for the past 8 years and never ran across this issue with an almost identical machine running CS 5.5 I've also had dozens of scripts running in a similar configuration.

There also could be something about a project that is causing the crash. Will AE open by it's self? If you are getting a project to open with Caps Lock on and then you can continue with the project by turning off the Caps Lock we need to know what's in the project that may be causing the problem.

Can you Open AE, create a project with just a solid and a text layer, save the project, start a new project, then open the simple project you just saved without a crash? It's details like that that will point us in the right direction. The problem could be anything from a corrupted font to a corrupted script. Sometimes the only way to solve this kind of problem is to just start removing things from the comp or the app until the crash goes away.

One other thing. Has this problem always been there or did it start after you have used AE for a while?

• 9. Re: AE CS5.5 Crash
                          EFEKT Studio Level 1

Hi Rick, thank you for the effort, I will try to answer to your questions one by one:

Try and think about what you would want to know if you were trying to diagonse the problem. What has changed? What's different? What may be in the project that could be causing the problems. Asking the right question is the first step in finding the solution to the problem. The right question is rarely why is my app crashing?

I do ask right questions, I know exactly when the problem occurs.

What scripts exactly? Have you tried removing them one at a time? There could be some other issues with the extended script tool kit or other software that is installed on your machine.

Any script that's dockable into UI panel. I have tried removing them one by one, no luck. What exactly is extended script tool kit?

There also could be something about a project that is causing the crash. Will AE open by it's self? If you are getting a project to open with Caps Lock on and then you can continue with the project by turning off the Caps Lock we need to know what's in the project that may be causing the problem.

Yes, ae will open by itself. When I activate caps lock, it opens with no problem. It cannot be anything in the project (I guess), because it happens with every project (again, when these scripts are in UI)

Can you Open AE, create a project with just a solid and a text layer, save the project, start a new project, then open the simple project you just saved without a crash?

It doesn't crash, but I can assure you that it does crash with every other, let's say "bigger" project.

One other thing. Has this problem always been there or did it start after you have used AE for a while?

I've switched to Mac recently, never had this problem on PC.

• 10. Re: AE CS5.5 Crash

Has the Mac always crashed?

Since you can create a simple project that doesn't crash, is there anything that is common to the more complex projects that do crash?

Try opening one of the projects that crashes and removing some of the items in the comp one at a time. This may narrow things down a bit.

If the projects have footage in them then an easy to find out of the footage is causing the problem is to temporarily rename the folder that contains the footage.