5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2013 9:28 PM by mdenison91

Why does it take 6 hours to export 5-minute clip?

mdenison91

Hey all, bit of a Premiere novice but I figure you guys can help me out.

I put together videos for a YouTube channel. Average length is 4-5 minutes. Included: video shot in Quicktime Player at Maximum quality (exact resolution escapes me), still images and mp3 files.

Usually the export process takes about 90 minutes using the following settings:

Export Settings:

Format: H.264
      Checkboxes Export Video and Export Audio

Basic Video Settings:

Width: 1,920
      Height: 1,080
      Frame Rate: 29.976
      Field Order:Progressive
      Aspect: Square Pixels (1.0)
      TV Standard: NTSC
      Profile: Main
      Level: 5.1

Max Render Depth? NO

Bitrate Settings

Bitrate Encoding: VBR, 2 pass
      Target Bitrate [Mbps]: 10
      Maximum Bitrate [Mbps]: 40

Checkboxes Use Maximum Render Quality and Use Previews

Basic Audio Settings

Audio Codec: AAC
      Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
      Channels: Stereo
      Audio Quality: High

Bitrate Settings

Bitrate [kbps]: 320

Advanced Settings

Precedence: Bitrate

...Except when I exported a 5-minute clip today, it took my 2010 Macbook Pro SIX HOURS. No particular reason. Video wasn't different than any other, still shot at normal resolutions and exported to the same settings...why did this take so much longer?

And, more importantly, are there any shortcuts to help speed up the process? 1080p is non-negotiable, but I haven't been using Previews or anything (I think).

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Why does it take 6 hours to export 5-minute clip?
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

What effects are applied to the sequence?

Are you queueing the export to AME or encoding "in-process" by selecting "Export" in the Export Settings dialog? If you're queueing to AME, are you then continuing to work in Premiere while the job is encoding?

• 2. Re: Why does it take 6 hours to export 5-minute clip?
            mdenison91 Level 1

The only effects I am applying, if these are applicable, are a few titles (15-20) and a few stills that are visible over the video.

I am exporting by, when the project is completed, clicking File --> Export --> Media. I am doing literally nothing else while the project is being exported -- I quit out of every other program and let it go.

• 3. Re: Why does it take 6 hours to export 5-minute clip?

Okay, a few more questions:

• In the Export Settings dialog, is Use Maximum Render Quality enabled?
              • what are the sequence settings? More specifically, are these particulars the same as your export settings:
                • Width: 1,920
                • Height: 1,080
                • Frame Rate: 29.976
                • Field Order: Progressive

• are you encoding through AME? File>Export>Media opens the Export Setting dialog. You have two options of how to proceed from there: Queue sends the job to AME; Export encodes directly through Premiere Pro (we call that "in-process encoding"). Which of these paths are you using? Regardless, please try the other one and let us know whether the time to encode is any different.
              • Similarly, if GPU acceleration is enabled for Mercury Playback, please switch it to Software Only. In CS6, that option is under Project>Project Settings>General; in CC, Project Settings>General is now under the File men
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why does it take 6 hours to export 5-minute clip?

Oh, I forgot to add one thing: Titles aren't effects. They're assets, specifically "synthetic" assets because they're created within PPRO rather than existing as files on disc. I was thinking of things like scaling (aka, resizing), especially given that you weren't sure of the resolution of your source video and you mentioned still images. If your sequence has lots and lots of high resolution digital photos that are being scaled down to 1920x1080, that would explain at least part of the encode time.

• 5. Re: Why does it take 6 hours to export 5-minute clip?
                  mdenison91 Level 1

I am not encoding through AME; I'll give it a shot.

I will need to double check my settings; I shoot with Quicktime but whenever I import clips, Premiere askes me to change my sequence to match the clip and I usually do. This may be an issue, unfortunately I do not know the settings that Quicktime shoots in because instead of offering helpful numbers, it just shoots in "Normal," "High" and "Maximum" quality.