1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 7, 2013 4:57 AM by Peter Spier

What is the correct method of dropping files from Illustrator into Indesign

falkenburga

I've been taught to 'place' any file/image/logo into InDesign. However, when I 'place' a logo from illustrator into indesign it appears pixelated. The same logo copied and pasted from illustrator into Indesign looks fine !  (But I thought this method was wrong and that one could only copy and paste when it is Illustrator into photoshop!)

Would someone be able to explain where I am going wrong and which the right method is?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: What is the correct method of dropping files from Illustrator into Indesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When you paste from illustrator you get editable paths if the drawing is not complex, or an uneditable embedded .eps if it is too complex. Neither of these is useful for keeping artwork updated across multiple projects since it no longer is linked in any way to the original.

If your placed .ai art looks pixelated it's probably either the view setting (set the Display Performance to High Quality Display), the link is out of date, or you've been causght by a display bug that renders the page in low res with some mice using the scroll wheel. If it's the last, it whoud affect everything on the page, and you can usually fix the display, at least temporarily by holding down the Alt/Opt key and Spacebar to get the Hand tool, then click and relelase anywhere, or use one of the scrolling thumbs on the window edge.