5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 2:19 PM by GuruJason

OpenCL card suggestions over Cuda?

GuruJason

Hello all,

I've been reading up for 2 months about getting a new desktop editting machine for PremiereProCC and AE to add to my aging laptop edit machine.

1. Laptop vid card seems to have come un-soldered from the MB, she's gonna kick soon and now shows artifacts and jumps.

2. Amd announces Killer Numbers on PP with cheap openCL cards.

So now I'm stuck trying to decide between intel CPU/ Cuda card or Amd/ openCL card, & whether I should get another laptop or go straight to desktop. I've read that comparable setups that desktops way outperform laptops.

Any chance someone can tell me what I should do for best bang for the buck performance in PP? I don't need dreamworks speeds but would like to improve on my 4yr old Asus G73 i7-720qm with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870.

I Love the mobility of a lappy but would sacrifice it if the desktop is much better performance.

THanks for the help

@IdeaJason

• 2. Re: OpenCL card suggestions over Cuda?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

There have been issues with OpenCL.  At this point, I'd buy nVidia still, hoping things improve in the future.

(I still think Adobe should drop the proprietary CUDA altogether and develop only OpenCL, which can run on both cards if programmed for it.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: OpenCL card suggestions over Cuda?
            cc_merchant Level 4

Typical Marketing Hype. http://www.fireprographics.com/adobe/

Marketing is the art of obfuscation and telling half-truths or lies in such a way, that everybody is awed and believes the message to be completely true.

On another forum I found this reply to a similar question, posted by Harm Millaard:

First of all, there are still - and not surprising - problems with the AMD drivers. It looks that only the latest beta drivers do allow hardware acceleration and the WHQL drivers cause either hangs or do not work at all. Second thing to keep in mind is that Marketing is always about telling only what is in their own advantage and leaving out everything else, it is always only telling part of the truth. Adobe does that, so does AMD.

There are a number of misleading aspects in the chart they publish on their website, that makes you wonder how much of the truth they want to hide and how realistic these results are.

Apart from the fact that the system they used for coming up with these results is severely dated and underpowered  (a single Xeon E5530 with only 12 GB memory and a single Velociraptor make a terrible combination, that would rank about # 1100 - # 1200 out of 1300 systems in the PPBM benchmark), they compared using a highly flawed build #294 of Premiere Pro with a high emphasis on Lumetri effects, that still causes lots of problems with the released version of PR.

So one may wonder if the basis for this published comparison, system and software, is a trustworthy one.

The second problem I have with this comparison is the FirePro W5000 versus the Quadro K2000.

The W5000 has a memory bandwidth of 103 GB/s, the Quadro K2000 only 64 GB/s, so even if one could directly compare Open CL acceleration to CUDA acceleration, it would be a rather useless comparison, because the K2000 would be around 60% slower to start with.

Disappointing that AMD claims only 40 - 45% more efficiency. It should have been closer to 60% if Open CL were just as efficient as CUDA, but that is not yet the case. Don't forget that CUDA acceleration has been around for several years and nVidia/Adobe have been working on optimizing the code continuously, Open CL is a new kid on the block, still in its infancy.

However, if the comparison had been done on a more powerful system you would have gotten much more reliable results. Doing this test on such a weak test platform means that there is a significant imbalance that holds back video card performance.

What I'm also missing is the comparison to a GTX 770, that is lower priced and has a memory bandwidth of 224.3 GB/s and thus starts out with a performance advantage of around 350% over the K2000 and 220% over the FirePro W5000.

Well, that is what Marketing is all about, obfuscating things and only telling half truths.

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: OpenCL card suggestions over Cuda?
              Terry_Green Level 1

OpenCL works well, just not in Adobe Premiere Pro ... Nvidia graphics card AMD faster in OpenGL... And to be sure how fast OpenCL vs CUDA put Sony Vegas ...Now Adobe Premiere Pro and CUDA best option, faster + Ray-traced 3D (After Effects).

• 5. Re: OpenCL card suggestions over Cuda?
                GuruJason Level 1

Thanks all for the help! Looks like my magic bullet is still a pipe dream, guess I'm gonna have to mortgage a house to get a Cuda card.

Still wondering if I should trade power for mobility. A laptop is such a nice tool to take on set or working while traveling and the time to render on a desktop is so much faster..... I hate decisions but I guess I'm leaning toward the mobility unless anyways can sway me.

I've never seen the speed difference between a quadro lappy & desktop. I've heard but no one I know owns both and edits on both to compare. 

I wish I could save all my files in small formats put it on the less powerful lappy, do the editing and then when I return to home allow the powerful desktop to take the edits from the smaller file & export that to the larger ones. ahh to dream.

(The real dream is google fiber & server side editing.)