6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 8:56 AM by the_wine_snob

Copy clip from / to timeline

fredowww66 Level 1

Is it (not) possible to copy (not cut !) a clip that is already in the timeline to also another place in the timeline (f.e. same place, higher track for effects ..). Drag is cutting, but also shift-drag, ctrl-drag .... Also in the menu I don't find it and also not in the manual.

If I have to use the assetspanel again I have to define again everything on this clip and I find it not easy to choose the exactly same start and endpoints for the clip.

• 1. Re: Copy clip from / to timeline
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are a number of ways to do this.

But, in answer to your question, yes, you certainly can cut or copy from one spot on your timeline and paste to another.

Which version of the program are you using? And which method have you attempted to copy and paste? It will work in more recent versions of Premiere Elements. Although you may need to paste it to Video 1 and then manually drag it to an upper video track.

• 2. Re: Copy clip from / to timeline
            fredowww66 Level 1

PE11

Sorry for the question that was totally not clear. I remember now that the copy command works but PE11 puts the copy clip again in video1, (at the place where the needle is). But ofcourse I don't need it there again, but in a higher videotrack

First clicking on higher videotrack doesn't solve this. So the problem is more, how do I select the videotrack of my choice before copy a clip from the timeline (videotrack 1) to timeline but a higher videotrack.

• 3. Re: Copy clip from / to timeline
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your video will always be pasted to Video 1. You can then re-position it to any other track.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Copy clip from / to timeline
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve says, I just hit End, to move the CTI (Current Time Indicator) to the end of my Timeline, so that the Copy does not insert into the Timeline, rippling everything beyond it, then do Paste. Then, I just Select that Pasted Clip/Asset, and drag it to where I want it, say Video 2 at 00;00;05;00. If, before you do that Move, you move your CTI to the desired point in the Timeline, and Snap is ON, then when you drag that Copy near it, it will Snap to the CTI.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Copy clip from / to timeline
                  fredowww66 Level 1

Thank you ! Very useful tip because it was a big problem if copyclip is for or after original clip (if there is already music / sounds etc in the time line !)

• 6. Re: Copy clip from / to timeline
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with you, and have to "pinch myself" to remind me that I am working in PrE, since PrPro does things differently. To get the Copy, where I will want it, is three easy steps - End (moves the CTI beyond any Assets on the Timeline), then Paste, then drag that Copy to the location of choice. Simple, but if the CTI is anywhere else, on a populated Timeline, THAT is where the Copy goes, and as it will insert that Clip into Video 1, splitting any Clip at that point, and everything to the right (including Audio), will move to the right to accommodate that Copy.

When doing a Copy and Paste to my Timeline, I always have Undo (Ctrl+Z) handy, in case I forgot to move the CTI to End.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt