2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2013 6:41 AM by Dave Merchant RSS

How can I securely present a PDF on the web?

hirte7 Community Member

Hi,

is there any Adobe tool that would allow me to present a PDF on the web, so that visitors can open and browse through a PDF but can not download or alter the content? I know there are services that convert a PDF into a "browseable" form, but is there any other way with Adobe's own tools?

Thanks.

KM

• 1. Re: How can I securely present a PDF on the web?
          try67 ACP/MVPs

Unless you stream the file using expensive DRM technology, in order to view

a PDF is has to be downloaded, so that part is out of the question.

Restricting modification of a PDF is possible by applying a security policy

(File - Properties - Security), but there are plenty of PDF viewers out

there (cough, Apple Preview, cough) that do not respect these policies so

overcoming such protection is quite easy.

• 2. Re: How can I securely present a PDF on the web?
            Dave Merchant ACP/MVPs

Even with DRM, there is no concept of streaming in PDF files. The content can be viewed only after it's been downloaded to a local cache.

When a PDF file is "optimized for web view", the order of the content is arranged so that the first pages can be seen before the document has finished downloading; but it's only a matter of time, the file is always sent in its entirety.

Gilad D (try67) wrote:

Unless you stream the file using expensive DRM technology, in order to view

a PDF is has to be downloaded, so that part is out of the question.