I am trying to create a schema to get an Excel workbook into xml so I can take that information and make a member list in inDesign CS6 so I don't have to type it by hand. This is the schema:
When I bring the schema into Excel, everything seems to be fine except that the top of the tree is wrong in excel. memberList is nott at the top ot the tree. When I pull it over to populate the cells I get no names but when i click on the cell it highlights the proper name in the tree.
Can anyone that works wirth xml in inDesign help me
I typically get XML from a database, or an Excel sheet without the troublesome XML mapping. Once I simply received an Access database. Access spits out XML in a mostly usable state.
I use an XML editor that converts the Excel sheet to XML, do any needed transformations, search and replaces, etc in the editor, then save it as an XML I use in ID. The editor is XML Blueprint. I often do other manipulations using UltraEdit as I have long used it for programming and am comfortable with it.
I did a test in Excel's requisite mapping and found it so cumbersome I didn't successfully get it to export in the 20 minutes it took me to try it. I suspect I could do it with more head scratching but I don't have much hair left.
But I'll give it another try later today or tonight and see if I can help in the way you want to go about it.
Take care, Mike