5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 11:44 AM by Chris Cox

Patterns.psp stopping CS5 x64 from loading

Trapezists

Hi all,

I have an employee in my office who has a 4 gigabyte Patterns.psp file which is stopping ps cs5 from initializing past the splash logo screen. Is there any way to make this file load at startup but get away from the actual start up folder? (possibly pasting the file one directory deeper?)

Or, can they just load it after the programs initializes? I tried doing this from the Edit->Preset Manager, once Photoshop loaded but it will only load .ABR files not .PSP so there may not be any help for me there.

Any insight into this problem is greatly appreciated.

-Trapezist

• 1. Re: Patterns.psp stopping CS5 x64 from loading
          Alec Molloy Employee Moderator

Hi Trapezists, I'm not sure what you mean by "make this file load at startup but get away from the actual start up folder," but if you have a 4 GB patterns.psp file, there is something wrong with Photoshop.

I would suggest you rename the "patterns.psp" file to "patterns.psp.old." Then try reopening Photoshop, it should create a new patterns.psp file for you. If Photoshop starts up with no problem you can delete the "patterns.psp.old" file.

• 2. Re: Patterns.psp stopping CS5 x64 from loading
            Trapezists Level 1

Thanks for the reply, however, there is not anything wrong with the patterns.psp file,

essentially what is happening is, our company has a bunch of patterns that we add to Photoshop, and as the employee is creating their graphic this particular employee likes to "Append" the patterns to their current pattern "list/grid" thus increasing the size of the Pattern.psp file,

but, after adding so many patterns to this file it becomes unmanageable and Adobe willl not load it at start up, and seems to freeze and just fails to load, until the file is removed.

I am looking for a way to preserve the contents of this file without having to either a)remove it from the startup list, or b)load it manually after photoshop starts. I say this but really, any fix would be acceptable even if it had to be moved from startup or reloaded manually.

Thanks again for your input.

• 3. Re: Patterns.psp stopping CS5 x64 from loading
              Level 7

The patterns preferences file can be larger than 2/4 Gig.  (I've tested with 14 Gig patterns preferences files)

Most likely something in it is corrupt though and causing problems on launch.

Go in your Photoshop preferences folder, and copy the Patterns.psp file out to your desktop.

Launch Photoshop, and it'll reset to the default patterns.

Now rename the file on your desktop to Patterns.pat, and then try to load it in the preset manager.

If the file is mostly intact, then the patterns should load up until the corrupt one.

If that doesn't work, then the only option left would be zipping the file and sending me a copy to see if I can recover any data from the file.

• 4. Re: Patterns.psp stopping CS5 x64 from loading
                Trapezists Level 1

Thanks, i didnt realize you could renamed .psp to .pat, this will definitely allow me to narrow down which pattern may be corrupting this file because it exists within our "custom patterns" that we add to photoshop, and it should be removed if it is in fact corrupt.

• 5. Re: Patterns.psp stopping CS5 x64 from loading
                  Level 7

Not all the preferences files are that simple, but for right now the patterns preferences file is the same as the preset files.  The corruption probably happened just while writing the file on that machine (or after writing, for some causes of corruption).

Let us know how things go!