12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 4:48 AM by iodioz

Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5

iodioz

Hi there,

I have a DeckLink Extreme HD 2, I've just installed the new Premiere CC via my CC account and the DV 9.7.5. All went right but now I have no audio inside the application. In OSX, as in other apps like QT or FCPX I can hear the audio but I notice lot of digital clips randomly.

Neither in Premiere CS6 audio is now working!!!! What the hell! I can't work!

I'm in touch with BlackMagic support but, after wasting a lot of time, nothing has ben resolved.

I attach the screenshots of my configuration (don't mind the buffersize I tryed all the sizes).

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Piero

MacPro 5,1, OSX 10.7.5, 24 Gb, SSD RAID, 2xQuadro 4000

Schermata%2006-2456462%20alle%2011.46.19.png

Schermata%2006-2456462%20alle%2011.46.29.png

Schermata%2006-2456462%20alle%2011.46.36.png

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hello iodioz,

Did you install the latest drivers from Blackmagic?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5
            iodioz Level 1

Hi Kevin,

thanks for your reply. As you can read from the topic title I'm using Desktop Video 9.7.5

Reading around is a very common issue and not hardware related (i mean people with iMac and thunderbolt devices, for example, having the same problem).

In ten years of work with Adobe and Blackmagic I never had a problem, everything was just plug'n'play, with CC and 9.7.5. it's a mess.

To avoid you to waste time here you go with the list of experiments I did following Blackmagic suggestions:

- Roll back to 9.7.3 - Past setup works (at least I can use CS6)

- Clean install of OSX 10.7 on a brand new SSD, installed 9.7.5 and Premiere CC - same issues.

- All the possible combinations of System sound and Premiere sound settings.

- Upgrade the clean SSD to OSX 10.8 - same issues

In addition to what I reported before, for a while, during my test sessions, I has been able to hear the sound of Premiere CC but the performance was awful: random clippings. After the Nth restart-reboot-reset, no more audio from the card has been heard in Premiere CC.

Generally speaking about audio performance in Premiere CC, I noticed a slight unstability and a randomly changing setup.

Please have a chat with

Carys Hughes

Technical Support Consultant

Blackmagic Design EMEA

My ticket #: LCM-723-71038

Any suggestions?

Piero.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5
              petergaraway Adobe Employee

Hi Piero,

Here's a few ideas you can try.

1. Place your Blackmagic card in slot 2

2. Set your OS system sound to Built-in or Line out audio

3. Set your buffer size to 1024

4. If those settings fail to help you can place the 9.7.3 plugins into the CC folder. Here's how:

Mac:

Copy from:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/CS6/MediaCore

Paste to:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/7.0/MediaCore

Hope that is helpful. Let us know how it goes.

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5
                iodioz Level 1

Hi Peter,

tomorrow morning I will surely try. I can't use slot 2 because I have the second Quadro 4000 installed there. Could be a real problem?

P.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5
                  Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

The patch that is due out soon has fixes for several bugs that involve either audio or video going missing. As far as I'm aware, none of those bugs involve BlackMagic hardware.

In case you were going to ask when exactly to expect the patch, I'm not at liberty to talk about specific dates. About all I can say is that we're pushing hard and getting close.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5
                    shooternz Level 6

Hey Mark

Please, please, please dont let them  break BM 9.7.5 Intensity Pro while fixing it.

It works fine on my PC (CS7 and CS6) and I also have it working in AEFX...at last.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5
                      iodioz Level 1

Hi Peter,

I try everything but not to change the card slot. I have two Quadro 4000 and they need 16x slot.

All the rest give me no results: CS6 works, CC don't.

P.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5
                        invisiblearts Level 1

All the rest give me no results: CS6 works, CC don't.

P.

This is a conclusion I'm drawing as well.  CS6 works, CC does not.  I've been having issues with playback, as read on this thread.  Now I'm getting playback, but no audio.  Just as your problem describes.  I can pull the exact same project up in both CS6 and CC...it works in CS6, but not in CC.  Good thing I've got some downtime at the office right now, this would kill my workflow schedule.

Seems like Blackmagic's and CC's relationship may be the culprit here, as everything works on my MacBook Pro station as does CS6 on my Mac Pro.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5
                          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi invisiblearts,

If you are getting playback, but no audio, have a look at the following article: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/no-sound-playback-premiere-pro.html

Thanks,

Kevin

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5
                            invisiblearts Level 1

Also posted this in my original thread, but wanted to post it here as well...

Ok, everyone, I'm happy to report that today I was able to resolve the issue...knock on wood.

I had a very thorough discussion with Charles Van Wink at Adobe on Wednesday where he was able to screen share with me and walk me through the new layout of the preferences pane.  He described the differences between the 'Audio Hardware' tab, and the 'Playback' tab,  and when specifically to address the settings of each tab.  While we weren't able to solve the issue during the phone call, Charles was able to educate me on how to troubleshoot more thoroughly in a systematic way. 

According to the results I came to today, and how I came to a solution, my final determination on why I was having issues for MY particular case is as follows.  I think it comes down to a difference in the CC preferences pertaining to the Decklink HD Extreme card compared to how CS6 dealt with those same preferences.  What I mean is this. 

In CS6, I was able to have audio playback through my Decklink card with no problems whatsoever, no matter what kind of sequence I made.  I often would "make a sequence from clip" so that my sequence settings would match the clip, and playback worked fine.  If I do that in CC, the Decklink card doesn't appear to like it, and won't play nice.  Even if I selected the appropriate hardware and playback options, it still would not play back audio.  But if I actually make a Blackmagic sequence in CC, playback suddenly works. 

The crazy thing is that when I get it working, and then decide to create a non-blackmagic sequence as a control, playback would also work for that sequence...just not nearly as responsive.

So after all of this, and weeks of troubleshooting, I've decided that CC and Blackmagic really just play together best when Blackmagic sequence presets are used.  I'm sure this isn't breaking news to Blackmagic or Adobe, but CS6 didn't seem to mind as much.  CC, to me anyway, seems a bit more strict.

Thanks again for your help,

Beau Leland

Editor

OKC, OK

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5
                              petergaraway Adobe Employee

Thanks for the update Beau.

I've never had problems using Premiere sequences with Blackmagic hardware but in case others do this is great info.

Best,

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CC no audio with BlackMagic 9.7.5
                                iodioz Level 1

Hi Peter,

I still have problems with CC audio and my Decklink Extreme Pcie. Now I have installed the new release of BM Desktop Video (9.7.8) and something has improved but I still need to play some tricks in order to listen to the audio from my device.

Here's my workaround.

If I create a new project and import an AIFF or WAV or MOV (of course) file I can't ear any sound in viewer or from the timeline.

BUT... if I import a mp4 file and double click on it as first operation, magically the BM wake-up and let me listen to all the audio I need.

Crazy, don't you think?

Piero