9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 12:21 PM by Cosme422
      • 1. Re: How do I make Elements 10 Organizer update video thumbnails
        A.T. Romano Level 7

Cosme422

Could clarify what you are updating the thumbnail from?

a. Have you just used Elements Organizer 10 File Menu/Get Photos and Videos/From Files and Folder, and find a thumbnail for a video import but it does not show the first frame of the video, instead a filmstrip, hour glass, or other, and you are trying to get "Update Thumbnail for Selected Items" to force the thumbnail to switch from the filmstrip, hour glass, or other to the first frame image? If so, are you successful in doing that with that command?

b. Other

The way your question is worded seems to apply that you can get the first frame image in the thumbnail with the command. True?

Your screenshot displays a lot of thumbnails with filmstrips. Is that what you are trying to get rid of with the command? What are the properties of these video...video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, duration? Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on this computer? Are you having the same problem with photos in the Elements Organizer? How much installed and available RAM do you have on that computer?

Lots of other questions, but let us start here.

We will look forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I make Elements 10 Organizer update video thumbnails
          Cosme422 Level 1

A. T. Romano,

Hello,

When I imported the files into organizer I did it by selecting; File \ Get videos and photos \ from iphoto.

The videos were recorded with iphone5.

I keep my itunes, quicktime, and vlc up to date.

I am succesful when I use the command to update the filmstrip logo into a frame of the video clip.
          The reson I do this is so that I can know what video clip it is that I want to edit.

The photos do not have this problem. It only affects the video clips.

This 2010 built macbook pro has an i7 processor with 8 gigs or RAM and 20 gigs of available HDD space.

The video files are: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc 1)

1920x1080
          24.017770 fps

Planar 4:2:0 YUV

Thank you for your reply.

Cosme-

• 3. Re: How do I make Elements 10 Organizer update video thumbnails
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Mac operating system is notorious for not displaying AVCHD and MP4 video in the Organizer's Media Browser.

I've yet to find a solution on my Mac.

• 4. Re: How do I make Elements 10 Organizer update video thumbnails
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Cosme422

Thanks for the additional information which was very helpful in trying to think about how to troubleshoot your issue.

I would agree with SG that Elements Organizer has had problems displaying thumbnails for AVCHD.mp4 as well as some other formats. Been there and seen that as well as others.

But here is the puzzlement for me in your situation, that is, you can get to see the first frame of the video by right clicking the video and selecting/clicking on the UpdateThumbnail command in Elements Organizer. All the case that I have run into, the first frame of the video would never applear no matter and you were left with some icon representation.

So the good news for you is that you have a way of achieving your purpose manually, no intervension from the program to do it for you automatically. I know of know way to force the program to do this, except maybe:

a. waiting longer for the thumbnail first frame to be displayed....does it ever show up on its own much later?

b. maybe increase the installed RAM on your computer, if 64 bit system and the motherboard permitting?

And, I would ask, is this issue only with iPhone5 video or other video sources and formats as well. I see that you say that the problem does not extend to protos.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I make Elements 10 Organizer update video thumbnails
                Cosme422 Level 1

The same thing happens with video from my canon 5d mark 3, or video from my canon handycam, and also video from my friend's sony handycam.

I have left the program open running overnight, and in the morning no change.

And yes, the problem does not occur with the photos, they automatically update the thumbnails.

• 6. Re: How do I make Elements 10 Organizer update video thumbnails
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Cosme422

I will look it up if you do not know, but do you see any common property or properties between the Canon 5D Mark III, Canon Handycam, or Sony Handycam?

Have you posted your issue under the Adobe Feature Request Bug Form Report?

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way so I do not have any insider information on this.

The thing that intrigues me is that you are able to get those thumbnail first frame images at all manually.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I make Elements 10 Organizer update video thumbnails
                    Cosme422 Level 1

I checked the videos from the canon 5dm3 and everything matches what I posted earlier for the iphone5.

Then I checked the Sony HRD-SR12 footage and it's all the same as well, except for the frame size and aspect ratio.

I will use the link to post my issue. Thank you!

Here's a screen capture video of the situation: https://vimeo.com/69998309

Thanks again for your assistance.

• 8. Re: How do I make Elements 10 Organizer update video thumbnails
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Cosme422

Interesting screenshot. Instead of Vimeo, you could use the Insert Image icon above the message that you are typing here. Typically I use that to post a .jpg screenshot. But, something caught my attention in your Vimeo presentation of your issue.

To the left of the two thumbnails whose opening was demo'd with the Update Thumbnail command were 3 other thumbnails (same row, at the end of that row). Did you have to use Update Thumbnail command to get a video first frame image into them?

What I would like you to do is go to the Elements Organizer, Edit Menu/Preferences/Media-Analysis and turn off all the AutoAnalyzer options.

Each of those thumbnails that I mentioned has a marking on its right vertical edge which looks to me like the calling card of the AutoAnalzyer that has split your video into clips and stacked them in that thumbnail. Turn the AutoAnalyzer options off including face recognition, delete one of the "stacked" thumbnails from Elements Organizer, re-import the video into Elements Organizer, and determine if all that had any impact on automatic appearance of video first frame image in a thumbnail representing the video vs you having to continue using the Update Thumbnail command to get that video first frame image to appear in the thumbnail.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I make Elements 10 Organizer update video thumbnails
                        Cosme422 Level 1

Oh that's right!... next time I'll use that icon, thanks.

To answer your question, yes I previously used the update thumbnail command to update the other film strip icons on that row.

Some of the other videos that don't have that double icon on the right top of the image still have the same issue as well.

I will disable AutoAnalyzer options and try a few things.

I will return with my results.