5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 2:50 PM by Soulless_73

How to add a Title (slide? screen?) BEFORE the video track

Soulless_73 Level 1

Hello,

I'm very new to Adobe Premiere Pro and I'm trying to figure out how to add a title to my project but I don't want the title on the start of the video in the sequence. I'd like to add it to a black screen, maybe with some transition effects, that will play prior to the video starting. Do I need to create a black image in CS and add it as a still and just add the title to the still which I can position before the video/audio track A starts?

I'm hoping that there's something I can do right within Premiere that will give me a place to put the title before my video starts. I didn't see an option to add a blank slide or something to that effect that I can add title to.

thanks for your assistance!

The more I learn the more excited I get, this software is great.

• 1. Re: How to add a Title (slide? screen?) BEFORE the video track
          shooternz Level 6

INSERT the title clip ahead of your next clip.

Checkout all the methods to do an 'Insert". Its a fundamental to editing in an NLE

There are a few ways to create Black.

Create Color Matte

Create Black Video

An empty  space in the timeline is Black (Alpha)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to add a Title (slide? screen?) BEFORE the video track
            Jim_Simon Level 8

This is pretty basic stuff, Soulless.  Try the following link.  You'll have an easier time if you learn the software before using it.

FAQ: How do I learn Premiere Pro?

• 3. Re: How to add a Title (slide? screen?) BEFORE the video track
              Soulless_73 Level 1

Thanks for the link.. like I said in my post, I'm brand new to the software and I've been watching and following guides for hours. Time is not on my side, I have a project that must be done by the end of this week and I have very limited time after work.

So when I have the head at the begining of my main track and click INSERT in the source monitor window it inserts a duplicate of the entire video so I have TWO videos in my sequence. This is clearly not what I'm wanting so I'm assuming that there's something I'm missing. I've searched google but don't see anything.

I'm just looking to add a black, blank screen that I can add a title to before my video begins. I realize this may be rudamentary to season vets but as I said, I'm very new and trying to learn this all quickly and I would really appreciate if someone could point me directly to some information about it. I'm not afraid to read and learn, hell I love it, but I'm pressed for time so someone just telling me, "go learn the software" with a link to a huge FAQ, doesn't really help me.

I've already learned a ton from some great guides but I have yet to have anyone indicate how to add extra footage (be it a still or blank video) directly from Premiere Pro.

Thank you all for your time!

EDIT: I think I figured it out... I just bumped the start of the main track up about 10 seconds and I added new item "Black Screen" right in front of it. I will add the title to this. Thanks all.

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to add a Title (slide? screen?) BEFORE the video track
                shooternz Level 6

So when I have the head at the begining of my main track and click INSERT in the source monitor window it inserts a duplicate of the entire video so I have TWO videos in my sequence

What was in the Source Monitor when you clicked "Insert"?

If you have a Black Video or a Color Matte in your Source Window or your Project Bin...there are a number of ways of inserting it into the Sequence / Timeline at the position of the playhead. 

Note - the track must be targeted first in the header of the track.

Check out all  the insert /overlay methods in the tutorials or Reference file. 

• 5. Re: How to add a Title (slide? screen?) BEFORE the video track
                  Soulless_73 Level 1

Thanks Shooternz! I appreciate the assistance my friend.